Photo

Yes you can overfill a Berkey water filter...

4 replies to this topic

#1 Poohbear

Poohbear

The momma bear you've been warned about...

• Users2
  • 262 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

I feel so dumb right now. I've used my Big Berkey for several years and I've never done this before. I thought the lower chamber of the filter was almost empty, but without checking I went ahead and filled the upper chamber. A couple hours later I started hearing a dripping noise. When I went to the kitchen to check it out I found a huge puddle of water in the floor and my counter top was flooded and everthing on it sitting in water. There was still a trickle leaking out where the 2 chambers stack on each other. Apparently, the lower chamber was still nearly full and I added another gallon to the top and gravity did what gravity does...

Note to self (and all those with gravity water filters). Check the lower, filtered water chamber before adding more water to the top chamber. <_< <_<
Life is what happens while you're making other plans... John Lennon

Be who you are and say what you feel. Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter!... Dr. Seuss

#2 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,515 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks for the heads up. Funny how you can do the same thing over and over and then all at once forget how it works.

I did something similar in reverse. I went to make ice tea in the Mr. Coffee (tea) maker and couldn't get it to work. I turned it off and on a few times and unplugged and plugged it in a few times. Smacked it around and finally decided sweet tea wasn't on my menu for the day. I picked it up to slide it to the back of the counter and thought it was unusually light and with a slight smell of ozone. Duh yeah, I forgot to pour the water in the chamber. Fortunately, I didn't burn it up but it was hot. :banghead:

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#3 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,310 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Yeah, I've done that with the Berkey too. LOL
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#4 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,522 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, I've done that with the Berkey too. LOL

Oops! I don't think I'll admit out loud that I might have done that before..... :ashamed0002:

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#5 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,856 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

:laughkick:

MtRider [...don't have a Berkey...never did THAT... :rolleyes: but plenty other things :rolleyes: ]
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users