MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

No Knead Bread success...

Hello Good People!

I am happy to announce that I made my first loaf of No Knead Bread and it came out pretty good! I haven't made any homemade bread in over 30 years. I need to do some tweaking but I noted what I want to try differently next time. My confirmation came when DH had his first bite - he loved it! Even went back for 2nds (me too :))

Next on my re-learning to bake from scratch is Homemade Tortillas.

Woo Hoo! I'm so pumped...:cloud9:

I like the no-knead bread too. It was very handy when I was really too weak to knead whole wheat dough, but also easy and fast to make. Usually make it with the molasses recipe on the Grandmas Molasses jar.

I broke down that recipe and can make one loaf of whole wheat now as I am feeling better and can knead again.

MT Riders tortilla recipe....

2 1/2 dozen

6 cups flour ( I mix mine whole wheat and white flour for the better texture and health reasons)

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 teaspoons salt

1 cup lard

2 cup warm water or a bit more

mix flour and salt, cut in lard til its all crumbly, mix in water slowly until its a smooth dough. ( I do knead mine some on a floury board)

Let stand in oily bag 20 mins.

make 2 inch balls and roll out with rolling pin into round shapes

Cook on hot dry flat cast iron griddle, turn to cook to satisfaction

Eat or freeze for later.

I broke this recipe down for smaller amounts I use as a single person over a few days usage.....

Makes about 10 or a dozen small tortillas ( 1 serving bread each)

2 cups mixed flour

about a 1/3 teaspoon baking powder

about 3/4 teaspoon salt or salt substitute with some sodium to interact with baking powder

1/3 cup lard or olive oil if you don't have lard

about a cup of warm water

Mix up the same as above recipe and make the tortillas as per Mt Riders instructions.

I re-use tortilla ziploc bags to store them.

I have not tried corn meal tortillas yet but I am sure something similar will work with some experimentation.

:americanflag:

Edited by arby

The other convenient bread with dried fruits or berries added is nice for breakfast or snacks......

Whole Wheat muffins with added fruits. Dehydrated fruits, rehydrate and use the fluid left over in recipe as part of the fluid needed for your basic whole wheat or white flour muffin recipe.

Very quick to make and easy clean up.

I told my mom about the great bread experiement and was telling her that it was a little heavy, she told me her mom used to put 2 or 3 tablespoons of applesauce in her bread to make it lighter. Anyone ever heard of this?

I love the idea of dried fruit. Mom used to bring me loaves of Cranberry/Pistachio bread (she lives in a big city). I may just try those in my next loaf...