They have no idea what it is?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Are there things you 'still use' that people would have no idea what you are talking about?

Just the other day I was talking about my "tomato pin cushion" and maybe needing a new one but haven't seen them at any rummage sales or yard sales lately? I would NEVER think of buying a 'new' one because when you get a used one second hand you ALWAYS get a bunch of free needles with it!

Anyway I was talking and the people I was with had no idea what one was or WHY I would need one? Who sews anymore was the reply when I told them what it was.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#2 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Yeah. A lot of folks seem to want to know why I need two heads.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#3 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,505 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

:sEm_blush: When our youngest was three years old, I pulled out my ironing board and iron to iron something. She wondered what THAT was! :whistling:

To be fair, I had ironed in the basement by my washer a few times. But it never crossed my mind that I just don't iron much anymore unless I'm sewing. Big DD didn't even get an iron for a wedding gift.

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#4 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

How many people who do sew also know why they should pass pins and needles through the "strawberry" attached to the tomato?

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#5 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

How many people who do sew also know why they should pass pins and needles through the "strawberry" attached to the tomato?

Posted Image I know why.

;)

cat.jpg

#6 arby

arby

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,480 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Knitting better and better, canning, dehydrating, trying to find the best deal I can in a difficult situation. Looking up recipes and gathering them. Writing. Gardening when I can do so. Cooking. Love the outdoors.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

How about the old ice trays, where the divider had the lever you pull up to separate the icecubes? Anyone still have those?
They certainly lasted and were more stable than the plastic ones!
The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overcome it.
John 1:5

#7 arby

arby

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,480 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Knitting better and better, canning, dehydrating, trying to find the best deal I can in a difficult situation. Looking up recipes and gathering them. Writing. Gardening when I can do so. Cooking. Love the outdoors.

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

* has my own tomato and strawberry with sewing stuff :eclipsee_Victoria:

** and I know what the strawberry is for! ( I am pretty sure. )

#8 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

How about the old ice trays, where the divider had the lever you pull up to separate the icecubes? Anyone still have those?
They certainly lasted and were more stable than the plastic ones!

Have them and Lori Still uses them!
The cat will come a running when she hears that 'crack' because she knows there are always little chips that mom will give her to eat.
Yes that is also the cat that we have to go outside in the winter and get her bowl full of snow so she can eat it. And if it starts to snow in the middle of the night , she will come to bed, wakes me up and then race downstairs to sit by the 'snow bowl'.
:AmishMichael2:

Posted Image

#9 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Why Yes I do! most of the ones I find have that part missing? I guess most people cut it off?

Posted Image

#10 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Arby, those old trays were so much easier to get the cubes out of!

I have 3 sewing machines and one is an old treadle. I have a spinning wheel and a loom. A cabinet incubator for hatching eggs that doubles as a dehydrator. A Swing-a-way can opener mounted on the wall in the kitchen. Various oil and kerosene lamps. I use a shovel, hoe and rake to garden, no tiller, but how many garden any more? A manual pasta machine for noodles. Various grain grinders, but who grinds wheat and makes bread? I even have about a ton of wheat! (Maybe a bit more! LOL) Cast iron skillets, several pressure canners, a 10 gallon pot for making cheese or huge quantities of stew to can. People don't even cook, much less can, freeze or dehydrate to have stuff for later.

Yes, some folks think I have 2 heads. You can see it in their eyes.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#11 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Our glass orange juicer!

"Why do you have one when you can 'buy' juice in the stores?

Answer: Haven't you ever had fresh orange juice?

Why have one when you can just use you electric mixer?

Answer:Maybe because we DON'T have an electric mixer.

Posted Image

#12 arby

arby

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,480 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

AH, my parents had a cat who was a tough mountain cat and loved to play in the melt water when it snowed, trying to get the pretty stones in their driveway gravel, dipping his paws right in for those pretty rocks. I can just see your cat wanting a snow bowl.... :D

His name was Joe Catwright of the Konderosa.

Edited by arby, 24 April 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#13 sewandsew

sewandsew
  • Users2
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I have 2 old metal ice trays and I do know what the strawberry is for. I have one also.

#14 Jori

Jori

happy Hoosier Mama

• Users2
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Stop! No one ever showed me what the strawberry was for, and I took sewing classes. The tomato my mom had is floating between one of three houses, I just don't know which one.

I have a pasta maker and registered for an iron but didn't receive one. I made a comment that I picked my pattern board and a clothes line and received strange looks.

(Edited by Cat because Jori was trying to type with a sick little guy on her lap, and it came out ummmm... *interesting*. :happy0203: )

Edited by Cat, 25 April 2012 - 06:12 PM.
trying to help clarify

#15 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,457 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

I had the tomato pincushion when I was a teen and I remember metal ice cube trays. Wish I had the metal ones still... The one thing I can't figure out.....

Why oh why does CGA have two heads???

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#16 winknasmile

winknasmile

Family Member

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

This is a YOU GOT ME post. I have sewn (sewed?) for years, using the tomato pin cushion and had NO idea the little strawberry was for anything except to be in the way. I wasn't smart enough to even question that it might be for something. Wow, this is cool. Is it to sharpen pins and needles?

Edited by winknasmile, 24 April 2012 - 10:21 PM.
spelling

#17 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

Is it to sharpen pins and needles?

:bouquet:

Pins and needles can get tiny little burrs from normal use. The sand in the strawberry knocks them off, thus "sharpening" them.

:bighug2:

cat.jpg

#18 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,394 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

Some strawberries have emery in them. They're also good for polishing off that line of rust the pins can pick up.

I still remember my little cousin standing in the living room holding the strawberry and whirling the tomato over his head, and the thread broke, and the tomato whizzed right past my grandpa's nose. He looked around and kept drinking his tea.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#19 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,505 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

I still remember my little cousin standing in the living room holding the strawberry and whirling the tomato over his head, and the thread broke, and the tomato whizzed right past my grandpa's nose. He looked around and kept drinking his tea.

:o

:24: :24: :24:

cat.jpg

#20 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Arby, those old trays were so much easier to get the cubes out of!

I have 3 sewing machines and one is an old treadle. I have a spinning wheel and a loom. A cabinet incubator for hatching eggs that doubles as a dehydrator. A Swing-a-way can opener mounted on the wall in the kitchen. Various oil and kerosene lamps. I use a shovel, hoe and rake to garden, no tiller, but how many garden any more? A manual pasta machine for noodles. Various grain grinders, but who grinds wheat and makes bread? I even have about a ton of wheat! (Maybe a bit more! LOL) Cast iron skillets, several pressure canners, a 10 gallon pot for making cheese or huge quantities of stew to can. People don't even cook, much less can, freeze or dehydrate to have stuff for later.

Yes, some folks think I have 2 heads. You can see it in their eyes.

Have you been looking in our Kitchen? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LOVE our swing-a-way! And like most of the 'old things' we use we have one or more in storage as backup because they are getting harder and harder to find!
And yes we too get looks whenever we talk about making things like noodles at home "BY HAND" using a hand cranked machine of some kind. Like when I happen to tell someone that I made bread yesterday with my bread machine, I always get “Oh I saw that machine on TV once and I have to tell them no my is NOT electric but a hand cranked 'VERY OLD' bread machine. Which will most always get the reply . . . . . . WHY?

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users