Photo

Harvesting Rain Water For Your Garden

4 replies to this topic

#1 bhealthy

bhealthy
  • Users2
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

If you would like to conserve water and save money at the same time think about harvesting rainwater for your yard and garden. It is really not that hard to do. One simple method is put gutters on your roof that run into storage barrels when it rains. Just a short rain can fill up them all. Here is a good article on harvesting water if anyone is interested.
http://www.emergency...age-tanks.shtml

#2 coastygirl

coastygirl
  • Users2
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, antiques & collectables, the beach, and cooking.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

We bought plastic garbage cans and drilled holes in the top, then turned the lids upside down on the top. We then wired the lids down to secure them. When I need water for my garden, I un-wire one side and dip my garden water can into it. Here in the NW, it rains alot so we hardley ever have them run dry.
We had a major storm 4-5 years back and had no water for 4 days. Those plastic garbage can rain barrels came in real handy for water needed to flush the toilet ! The nice part is---they are alot cheaper than the "fancy" rain barrels.

#3 Amishway Homesteaders

Amishway Homesteaders

Living the Homestead Life

• Users2
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

I used plastic 55 gal. drums for mine and put ‘hose faucets’ (after drilling hole) on the sides near the bottoms. If you put the barrel up on cider blocks then you can put your watering can, or a pail, under it instead of reaching into it to fill with water. Also have a gutter diverter that looks like an upside down ‘Y’ so water goes in until full then go down drain to overflow pipe.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

= = = = Michael and Lori = = = =THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =

http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted Image

#4 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:31 AM

I used plastic 55 gal. drums for mine and put 'hose faucets' (after drilling hole) on the sides near the bottoms. If you put the barrel up on cider blocks then you can put your watering can, or a pail, under it instead of reaching into it to fill with water. Also have a gutter diverter that looks like an upside down 'Y' so water goes in until full then go down drain to overflow pipe.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I use this method, too. However, I don't have gutters on my house. Just having the barrels under the edge of the roof catches a lot of water. I only have 2 barrels and they are almost always full. The spigots ran me a few dollars at the hardware store.

#5 ViamFec

ViamFec
  • Users2
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

This is a good idea to implement - you never know when your public water supply (if you live in or near town) could be cut off or contaminated.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users