Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:15 AM
Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:47 AM
Our health department says it is a normal part of inside and outside life in certain amounts (which varies from area to area of the country and world actually) but in higher than normal levels Mold can be dangerous. It causes all sorts of illnesses depending on the type of mold. Everything from lung and allergy problems to neurological and physiological diseases and even is thought to be connected with dementia. We found it was not so much the mold we could see as the unseen mold that was problematic. If we had not moved out of our house voluntarily we could have been made to move by the health department. We have been out for a year and a half but I am still suffering from the allergic sensitivities that it escalated. Any time I come near mold (or perfumes/chemicals/etc.) I have terrible reactions.
Please, do NOT take this mold lightly and don't be to quick to blame your family as it's very difficult to contain. Sometimes the mold itself can make one apathetic (or too ill/weak) to want to clean it. Also, bleach alone does not destroy mold. And unless constant cleaning is carried on, it can return in just days. Be very careful in removing it as well. Perhaps wearing a mask and gloves while you do. Do not vacuum dry mold for that just spreads it further. If you use a dehumidifier to keep the dampness at bay, be sure to keep the appliance clean as well as mold can grow in it and be spread. And if the mold is also in the walls, it will take a major effort and renovations to remedy it. Depending on the type of mold (there are all sorts of different molds out there)and the concentrations your family could be at serious health risk with it. You might also want to rethink your Grandmother's house if it is in the same area. It could have hidden mold as well.
Another suggestion. You can get mold detector kits at Home Depot and I'm sure at other similar places. They are about ten dollars and will tell you if there is mold in other areas, especially hidden mold if it's free in the air. You will need one for each room/area you want to test. You can also send the test into the company (for an additional $30 though) to find out what type of mold you have. With that you will also find out if the mold is at dangerous levels as well. The tests alone might be anough to convince your family that they are living in a dangerous situation. Seeing those small and growing green/gray/black spots appear on the petri dish is pretty daunting.
Home Depot also has a mold inhibitor spray that is pretty effective if used after the area has been cleaned. We use it on anything we have cleaned thoroughly from the old house before bringing it into the new one but we are very careful not to bring anything that can't be properly cleaned (books, furniture, etc).
Good luck, and please don't stay in the mold any longer than you have to.
Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:03 PM
THE AMISHWAY HOMESTEADERS
= = = in touch with the past = = =
<A class=bbc_url title="External link" href="http://www.freewebs....way_homestead/" rel="nofollow external">http://www.freewebs....hway_homestead/
Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:57 PM
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users