Photo

Storing Dehydrated Hash-Browns

7 replies to this topic

#1 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:I love to quilt and crochet in the winter and can in the summer. I work on my family tree in between.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

Has anyone else bought these dehydrated hash-browns from Sam's? I have picked up a box the last 2 times I shopped there. I have used them for a casserole and just plain hash-browns, and my family loves them! $5.95 for this 33 oz. box (fills a gallon jar with a little left over). Is this a good price? I got a new Emergency Essentials catalog today and theirs was $9.95 for a 31 oz. can. I haven't checked anywhere else. Would they store well in the box or should I use mylar and bucket? dehydrated hash-browns 001 (640x616).jpg

#2 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Honored trouble maker...

• Users2
  • 1,265 posts
  • Interests:Running, canning, hunting, gardening, quilting, animals, crocheting, baking, once a month cooking, travel

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

I LOVE these!!! They are awesome!! I was upset the other day when I was at SAMs and they didn't have any. Good to know they still carry them. I store mine in a five gallon bucket. You can fit two boxes in one. I don't know if that is the best way, but it works for me

The answer to "1984" is 1776

WW 2 could have been avoided by the bravery of one good man with a good rifle

Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get me.

#3 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:I love to quilt and crochet in the winter and can in the summer. I work on my family tree in between.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for the input Deerslayer. I googled 'buy dehydrated hash-browns' to try to compare prices before I stocked up on them, and apparently a lot of people like them. A few were complaining that their stores no longer carried them. I hope your store was just out of them. They seem to be a good price, so I will definitely go back and stock up soon. I think the bucket will work fine for storage.

#4 WormGuy

WormGuy

Night Manuevers Rule!!

• Users2
  • 5,998 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Canning, Woodworking, Making trouble, Night manuvers

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

I have some in mylar bags and in jars. I think mine are about 4 years old and still good.

:wormie2:
John
Posted Image

Perfection Takes Time

Self Satisfaction Can Lead To Self Destruction

Failing to plan is planning to fail

#5 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

Good to know WormGuy! I kinda have a fear of stored food ruining and my money being wasted. It keeps me from prepping like I really want to. I need to work on overcoming that feeling. I feel comfortable canning all that I can in jars, because I have been doing that all my life. But buying food to put up in buckets makes me nervous. Isn't that silly?

#6 coastygirl

coastygirl
  • Users2
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, reading, antiques & collectables, the beach, and cooking.

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

I have used them after 3-4 years, and they are just fine.

#7 jeanettecentaur

jeanettecentaur

Family Member

• Users2
  • 574 posts
  • Interests:cooking, camping, hiking, reading, travel, homesteading, hunting, fishing, bushcraft

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I buy these too, and love them!

#8 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,222 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Guess we'll find a trip to Sam's in our future! LOL Watched a YouTube video of a woman using them in her breakfast in a jar demonstration.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users