Good Morning Girls advent bible study

72 replies to this topic

#61 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

In this morning's email from GMG with their video link, I saw this quote:
"You and I have a choice of what we allow to rule in our hearts this week" … I really struggle with that -- a choice, I asked myself, how is there a choice in some areas. There were times since that horrific news broke on Friday where all my heart felt was ruled solely by despair, immense pain for the victims, and such deep sorrow that something like those events could even happen and that such evil could exist. There didn't seem to be a choice to allow it to rule my heart, it seemed automatic, involuntary, I didn't feel I chose to have those emotions well up, they just were there. I thought of the post that CrabGrassAcres has in the Mrs. S Streams forum, about a man's testimony. When I read that the other day, I kept thinking of the image of the two angels standing guard not allowing the negative to enter in to continue to put the man in bondage emotionally. I tried and tried to keep that image, but I think this was something even the angels are weeping over. There's beauty in the world, and I keep trying to focus on that, but this keeps playing on my heart and mind.

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Prince of Peace ... I pray for the peace, in all areas, and await the day when the evil is wiped away and we can all truly be in peace with not even the slightest chance of anything horrific happening anywhere in any capacity ever again.

#62 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,455 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

Zephaniah  3:14-15
Zephaniah 3:14-15 New International Version (NIV)

Sing, Daughter Zion; 14 shout aloud, Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, Daughter Jerusalem! The LORD has taken away your punishment, 15 he has turned back your enemy. The LORD, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.

Good morning ladies,
Today...this very morning and every other morning...knowing that God is with me...is what gives me the ability to get of the bed and to face the day...to not be consumed with fear and anxieties.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#63 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

Zephaniah 3:14-15
Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem! The Lord has taken away your punishment, he has turned back your enemy. The Lord, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.

Be glad and rejoice with all your heart
The gift of eternal salvation, of being forgiven, having a much deserved punishment taken away, and never having reason to fear again, is definitely reason to rejoice, ‘with all your heart’ – with every fiber of our being, in thanks, praise and joy for what He provided.

Edited by lumabean, 18 December 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#64 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,463 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O Daughter of Jerusalem! The Lord has taken away your punishment, he has turned back your enemy. The Lord, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.

Sing, O Daughter of Zion; shout aloud...I do feel like shouting this morning but not from joy. We have a busted water pipe and getting a plumber out here has been a headache, this is one time I am thankful to be renting. After all the bad and depressing news over the past week today I decided that I was not going to watch the news for a while. Cat gave me an idea this morning with her post, from now until the end of the year I refuse to watch the mainstream media I will pull it up online and scan the headlines but I will search out good news about good people doing good stuff. I have had enough negative now I am going to look for the positive.

So today even with a busted water pipe I am going to be glad and rejoice with ALL of my heart. No more garbage in so there will not more garbage spilling out. The Lord has taken away my punishment and he has turned back my enemy. Nothing and no one can stop me from singing and shouting to the Lord.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#65 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

• Users2
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:51 AM

Well the plumber will be back at 9:00 this morning so I am getting this out early. It seems that the way to under the house is inside one of the cubbies in the junk room and I didn't know that is what it was so I put a shelf in the cubby and put lots of stuff on this shelf then put all my cook book boxes and empty Christmas boxes in front of this shelf *sigh* So I spent yesterday evening moving stuff around so that they could get under the house. I guess this will be come the coat closet instead of a storage area because I am not going through that again. But all is good - live and learn.

This morning God pulled out the 2x4 he uses on me once in a while when I get like this and smacked me upside the head again reminding me I need to focus on HIM and not to worry. Once I start worrying unless something distracts me I get all tied up in knots and make myself sick and that is about where I am today. My stomach is all in knots and nothing is setting well. Every little thing is getting on my nerves the dog and cat are driving me crazy and I am wringing my hands over what will we be facing after the first of the year. Jafar has nothing on my GOD...my GOD IS LARGE AND IN CHARGE and he knew all this was going to happen and He knows what is going to happen. And you know what He will be right there carrying me through it holding my hand and leading the way. He promised never to leave or forsake me.

Philippians 4:4-7 (NIV)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

While reading this verse a song from summer camp came to mind, it is the chorus to a song by Israel but we only ever sang the chorus around the campfire

Rejoice in the lord always
And again I say, and again I say
Rejoice in the lord always
And again I say, and again I say
Rejoice

Verse 6 jumped out and slapped me upside the head...yet again...Do not be anxious about anything! but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. DUH talk about a 2x4 over the head...DO NOT BE ANXIOUS - JUST PRAY and then the promise

AND THE PEACE OF GOD, got that? THE PEACE OF GOD which transcends

tran·scend (trPosted Imagen-sPosted ImagendPosted Image)
v. tran·scend·ed, tran·scend·ing, tran·scends
v.tr.
1. To pass beyond the limits of: emotions that transcend understanding.
2. To be greater than, as in intensity or power; surpass: love that transcends infatuation. See Synonyms at excel.
3. To exist above and independent of (material experience or the universe): "One never can see the thing in itself, because the mind does not transcend phenomena" (Hilaire Belloc).

In order words, God's peace which passes beyond the limits of emotions and understanding and which is greater than anything we can comprehend will guard or fill our hearts and minds.

Have a Peaceful day ladies,
Posted Image

#66 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,536 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

I remember that song, it often keeps me company, :bouquet:

W4D2
Zephaniah 3:14-15

“The Lord, the King of Israel, is with you; never again will you fear any harm.”

Never again…. Because the Lord is with us, He has taken away our punishment. When I think of punishment, it reminds me of the final judgment by God, we all must face. James 2:12-13 says, “Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.”

Mercy triumphs over judgment. The Lord has taken away our punishment because He is Merciful, by giving us His Son as the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. That is enough to make me glad and rejoice.

W4D3
Philippians 4:4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again, Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.

The peace of God will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus… beyond all our wildest imaginations.

Thankfully praying and petitioning God with rejoicing, because we know He is able to do more then we can imagine. James 5:16 NIV says, “… The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” KJV says, “…The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” God does hear us when we pray. Even if it is a quick breath of thanksgiving, or a petition of relief from something that is troubling. But, always as He says in the Lord’s prayer, “…thy will be done…”

Many times I have to step back from my own desires and thoughts for others and submit to His will for them. I would like to wave a magic wand and all would be well with all the people of the world, but that is not realistic. God’s plan for each of our lives is different from each other. The main thing that is the same is, God requires of each of us, is a relationship with Him, regardless of the circumstances around us.

Father, thank You for guarding our hearts and minds.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#67 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Philippians 4:4-7 (NIV)
4 Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God – Reading this reminds me that God is near always, and that He is overseeing everything.

the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus
I was reminded of the Advent eBook’s passage for this week, esp. the sentences “lasting peace does not depend on my circumstances” and “Peace is learning to trust in God, even in the midst of chaos. Peace comes when I set my heart on what’s lasting and true, not on temporary earthly things”. That peace of God is not contingent upon what’s going on in my life, and that if I focus in the right place (on Him, and not on the chaos and worry) that I will see His peace and calm above all of the earthly things swirling around.

#68 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

Matthew 1:20-21
But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

Jesus saves HIS people from their sins. I cannot help but remember the scriptures around Lord’s Prayers. Jesus said he was praying for the people God had given him, and the ones who would believe in him later, not for the world. (Paraphrased John 17:9)

We are able to share with others during the Christmas season, that it is Jesus Christ who is the reason for the season of giving. He gave His life to forgive us and give us eternal life. We, in turn, pass the message on to others, that they too might be forgiven and become God’s people too.

Thank You Lord, for saving us from our sins.

Then, I read today's "Our Daily Bread"
12/20/12:

The Gift

And you . . . He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight. —Colossians 1:21-22

We refer to Christmas as the season of giving. Most of us try hard to find gifts that friends and family will like, but not all gifts are equal. Some gifts come with a subtle hint, like an exercise machine or a book about weight loss. Other gifts are those that the giver really wants for himself. But the best gifts are those that come from someone who loves us and knows what we want.
Last Christmas, my pastor, Jim Samra, challenged us to think about Christ’s coming in another way. We know that Jesus was God’s perfect gift to us (Rom. 6:23), but Pastor Jim added another thought. He said that His coming to earth could also be looked at as a gift that Jesus gave to His Father. Jesus loved His Father and knew that what He wanted more than anything else was for us, His creation, to be reconciled to Him. Through His incarnation, Jesus made it possible for us to be a holy and blameless present to God (Col. 1:22).
Thinking of ourselves as a gift to God makes us want to be a present worth the cost, “fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God” (v.10).

Dear Lord, from whom all blessings flow,

Most precious gifts dost Thou bestow;

So truly faithful may I be

As Thou art gracious unto me. —Roworth

God’s highest Gift should awaken our deepest gratitude.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#69 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:38 AM

But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, “Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins.”

He will save his people from their sins ...
this part stands out to me this morning. I’ve been noticing a lot more that the popular belief being put out is that Jesus came to save everyone, regardless of their actions, beliefs, etc. This verse is a clear reminder that that isn’t the case, it is for His people. It’s so sad to see people being misled, and those who try to share that it’s only through Jesus, and being His, that we will truly be saved, are deemed 'intolerant’ and marginalized. Whenever I hear the “all spiritual paths lead to God” I keep thinking of the narrow way leading to life, and the broad leading to destruction – that’s pretty clear not all paths lead to the same place.

#70 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

• Users2
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:40 PM

I know how I struggle with my faith today. I am not sure I could have been in Joseph shoes. Both he and Mary were walking in faith and trusting God. Can you imagine what would have happen if he had put her aside, she could have been stoned to death. The love that these two showed for the Lord really makes me feel insufficient today.
Posted Image

#71 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

((((((((((mommato3boys))))))))))

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#72 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 AM

Our last day for the Advent study.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

“Do not let your hearts be troubled…”
Today, the word ‘let’ stand out to me. Defined as; a choice, allow, permit, give permission, agree or consent to. I let people walk all over me, or I let something bug me. But Jesus says, do not let your hearts be troubled. We would need to consciously stop being troubled or afraid of something.

So, I must push those nasty little doubts and worries out of my head and replace them with the Word of God and His many promises, to take care of us.

This insert from the e-Book helps confirm that we need to set our hearts on the things that are lasting and true.

When I ponder these things – like Mary, I realize that true, lasting peace does not depend on my circumstances.

Peace is learning to trust in God, even in the midst of the chaos. Peace comes when I set my heart on what’s lasting and true, not on temporary earthly things. Peace is having confidence in a God who loved me so much He was willing to send His precious Son to Earth as helpless babe, to save a wretched sinner like me. Peace is saying no to the world, and yes to God. That is the kind of peace that I need in my life during the chaos of Christmas and all year long!

May the peace that God gives, fill everyone’s hearts and souls this season.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#73 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:44 PM

Posting a bit late (things have been hectic).

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

I've been thinking a lot about "I do not give to you as the world gives" -- the most amazing, undeserved gift was given, and out of complete love for us. there's no permanance with what the world gives, but God is true to His world and can always fulfill whatever it is that He gives or promises to give or provide, for all eternity. Even the most well intentioned person cannot always fulfill things even when they truly want to.

~~~
I've enjoyed the study with you ladies :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users