MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning peanuts !

Did you know you can dry pack peanuts and can them ? Either in the pressure canner or in a BWB. In the BWB you do not put the water over the jars, though. About 2 or 3 inches below.

I am going to pressure can some. Probably today. I have such little freezer room. This is so much cheaper to buy the peanuts in bulk and can them than the commercial canned ones. I paid $1.87 a lb. for plain roasted peanuts, already shelled, yesterday.

Pressure can 10 min. at only 5 lb. pressure, 6 lb. dial gauge.

How easy is this ?

Have you ever canned boiled peanuts? I would love to can some if I knew they would turn out like the ones in a can. I noticed the fruit stand had 50 lb. bags today, but I didn't check the price.

I just didn't think one out CGA. And I came from peanut growing country! We grew the biggest jumbo peanuts you ever saw in our county. So good! We always boiled ours soon after we pulled them up and picked them off the vine. I don't remember ever seeing anyone put them in jars, everyone put them in the freezer. I do remember my grandma laying them out to dry for parched peanuts. The ones at the market were already dried. You would probably never get them to boil soft.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, that is USDA approved. I just use the pressure canner because to me it was faster than heating all that water in the BWB canner. You do leave the water level down when using the BWB canner.

I wish we had pecans here. They are so expensive !! We can get walnuts and filberts. I used to get free walnuts, but my friend had to cut down their tree... now I must pay for them.

Not exactly cheap here, but I saw an ad in the paper for $3 a lb. They are in shell pecans, but already cracked. Not sure how much a lb will shell out, but it has to be better than paying almost $10 a pound for shelled ones! They also have satsumas so I hope we can get some of those also. We all love satsumas, and usually go through several cases throughout the hollidays. Last year at the farm they jumped from $15 a box to $30! I hope these are more reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Just stocked up on walnuts cuz they're on sale in the fall. Note to self...have to locate lotsa pt jars then.

2 questions - you are shelling the peanuts first? Take way to much room else, huh?

and ..... oh, never mind. You already answered it. :rolleyes:

MtRider ----freeing up the freezer, when ya live far from the store, is a good idea. :cheer: