Yes we can !

14 replies to this topic

#1 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Did you know you can dry pack peanuts and can them ? Either in the pressure canner or in a BWB. In the BWB you do not put the water over the jars, though. About 2 or 3 inches below.
I am going to pressure can some. Probably today. I have such little freezer room. This is so much cheaper to buy the peanuts in bulk and can them than the commercial canned ones. I paid $1.87 a lb. for plain roasted peanuts, already shelled, yesterday.
Pressure can 10 min. at only 5 lb. pressure, 6 lb. dial gauge.
How easy is this ?
I can, you can, too !

#2 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,540 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

So how long do these dry-pack peanuts last?

And would it work for pecans? Walnuts?

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#3 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Any nuts. As long as they are sealed they are good, just like any other canned food.
I can, you can, too !

#4 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:I love to quilt and crochet in the winter and can in the summer. I work on my family tree in between.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

Have you ever canned boiled peanuts? I would love to can some if I knew they would turn out like the ones in a can. I noticed the fruit stand had 50 lb. bags today, but I didn't check the price.

#5 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:11 AM

I have not canned boiled ones, but know you can. We cannot grow peanuts here, so I have to buy them. No fresh ones available at all here.
I can, you can, too !

#6 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Trudy you need green peanuts if you want them like the commercially canned boiled peanuts.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#7 Granny

Granny

Cat's little troublemaker

• Users2
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

:cheer: Never even thought of canning peanuts. Thank you Violet!
from bondage to spiritual faith.
from spiritual faith to great courage.
from great courage to liberty.
from liberty to abundance.
from abundance to selfishness.
from selfishness to complacency.
from complacency to apathy.
from apathy to moral decay.
from moral decay to dependence.
from dependence to bondage.

#8 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts
  • Interests:I love to quilt and crochet in the winter and can in the summer. I work on my family tree in between.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I just didn't think one out CGA. And I came from peanut growing country! We grew the biggest jumbo peanuts you ever saw in our county. So good! We always boiled ours soon after we pulled them up and picked them off the vine. I don't remember ever seeing anyone put them in jars, everyone put them in the freezer. I do remember my grandma laying them out to dry for parched peanuts. The ones at the market were already dried. You would probably never get them to boil soft.

#9 CrabGrassAcres

CrabGrassAcres

Munchie Mama

• Users2
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

No, the dried ones won't boil soft. Tried it.
"Have mercy on me, my God, have mercy on me, for in you I take refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." Ps 57:1

"Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise,making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. " Eph 5:15,16

"Do not be afraid because of the words that you have heard" 2 Kings 19:6
Posted Image

Have you hugged your goose today?

#10 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:37 PM

Violet. Does this look like a safe way to can pecans? http://littlehousein...ing-pecans.html

#11 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Yes, that is USDA approved. I just use the pressure canner because to me it was faster than heating all that water in the BWB canner. You do leave the water level down when using the BWB canner.
I wish we had pecans here. They are so expensive !! We can get walnuts and filberts. I used to get free walnuts, but my friend had to cut down their tree... now I must pay for them.
I can, you can, too !

#12 Trudy

Trudy
  • Users2
  • 603 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

Not exactly cheap here, but I saw an ad in the paper for $3 a lb. They are in shell pecans, but already cracked. Not sure how much a lb will shell out, but it has to be better than paying almost $10 a pound for shelled ones! They also have satsumas so I hope we can get some of those also. We all love satsumas, and usually go through several cases throughout the hollidays. Last year at the farm they jumped from $15 a box to $30! I hope these are more reasonable.

#13 ScrubbieLady

ScrubbieLady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:01 AM

Do they have to be roasted first?

#14 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

Not really roasted, but you get them hot before you put into the jars.
I can, you can, too !

#15 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,600 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:55 PM

Thanks! Just stocked up on walnuts cuz they're on sale in the fall. Note to self...have to locate lotsa pt jars then.

2 questions - you are shelling the peanuts first? Take way to much room else, huh?

and ..... oh, never mind. You already answered it. :rolleyes:

MtRider ----freeing up the freezer, when ya live far from the store, is a good idea. :cheer:
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users