Dehydrating Soup Beans

32 replies to this topic

#1 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Here is a tutorial on dehydrating soup beans. Good for using in 'meal in a jar' type recipes or a quick cook bean meal.

Edted to say:
I can't watch videos on this site I can only hear them but if you click on the heading of the video posted, it will take you to the youtube site and you can watch it there.

Edited by Jeepers, 25 November 2012 - 11:34 PM.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#2 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Momming, Gardening, Canning.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Thanks!

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#3 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

#4 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Don't know which is my most favorite...her or Dehydrate2store! LOL Katzcradul is the only one I've ever heard tell us how to keep beans long term so that we can actually EAT them some day. A friend of mine tried to cook some she had set back several years ago and she said she boiled them for 2 days and still couldn't eat them. I have a few bags set back but most of mine are now in cans...pintos, northerns etc...and in a size appropriate for us two.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#5 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Yeah, I'm afraid my 'bucket-o-beans' is probably like cement too.

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#6 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,300 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Remember you can still grind the rocklike beans.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#7 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:33 AM

Good reminder Ambergris. I forgot about that.

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#8 TurtleMama

TurtleMama

Canning/Dehydrating Fiend ;)

• Users2
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Canning, dehydrating, standing up for the principles of the United States of America, and of course, my amazing family -- especially my precious son and daughter and my sweet DH.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Cool!!! :D Thanks for the video...

Ambergris, what can you make with the ground beans?
A Dragon is, after all, the ultimate preparedness weapon. ;)

#9 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Uses for ground beans? Funny tasting "coffee"!? LOL

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#10 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,135 posts
  • Interests:Momming, Gardening, Canning.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Cool!!! :D Thanks for the video...

Ambergris, what can you make with the ground beans?

You can use them as flour, or soup/sauce thickeners.

CrabGrass came up with this tip for beans that won't soften - freeze them after you've cooked them and the expansion from the freezing process will help soften them.

I'm going to try dehydrating some beans this weekend. We LOVE chili beans and refried beans. Dehydrated versions, if they turn out well, would be very convenient to have on hand and would save on both freezer and cupboard space.

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,300 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

What Andrea said. I have ground beans to make refried beans.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#12 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:31 AM

Don't know which is my most favorite...her or Dehydrate2store! LOL Katzcradul is the only one I've ever heard tell us how to keep beans long term so that we can actually EAT them some day. A friend of mine tried to cook some she had set back several years ago and she said she boiled them for 2 days and still couldn't eat them. I have a few bags set back but most of mine are now in cans...pintos, northerns etc...and in a size appropriate for us two.

What is the secret? Can you post the method or provide a link???

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

#13 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Midnightmom, Katzcradul is the woman who made the how-to video that Jeepers posted above. She rinses/sorts the beans, then an overnight soak, then drains/rinses, then cooks -- I believe in the video she shares that she uses a pressure cooker but noted regular cooking is also fine. Then she dehydrates them.

If I remember correctly she also mentioned the price difference -- 8-10 cents/serving her way verses 80-84 cents/serving buying them freeze-dried. Some significant savings there!

She's got a lot of other interesting YouTube videos as well.

Edited by lumabean, 28 November 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#14 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Luma for providing the info for MidnightMom. Katzcradul is not an alarmist like some are and yet still seems to have a solid head on her shoulder when on subjects of canning and dehydrating etc. When I have questions on dehydrating etc., her and Dehydrate2store are my first 2 places to visit! LOL

#15 TurtleMama

TurtleMama

Canning/Dehydrating Fiend ;)

• Users2
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Canning, dehydrating, standing up for the principles of the United States of America, and of course, my amazing family -- especially my precious son and daughter and my sweet DH.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Can you cook the beans with dry spices (like Bob's bean seasoning spice, or just dried herbs) to flavor them before dehydrating? I know that you obviously wouldn't want to cook them with a pork hock or ham bone (too much fat) -- but herbs and salt would be safe, right?
A Dragon is, after all, the ultimate preparedness weapon. ;)

#16 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Flavoring them won't harm them a bit because you'll be dehydrating them not the fluids they're in etc. If you add onions, you'll want to dehydrate the onions separately (even though they've been cooked) on their own tray, and store them separately. If it were me, I'd label the onions as "seasoned in beans" and label the beans as "seasoned" so you'll know they're not just regular cooked beans. That way when you rehydrate them in cooking, you'll know they have some seasonings alreading in them and not add more...LOL I might also put some dry seasoning mixes in a small mylar pouch and drop them into the container of beans along with my oxygen absorber, when I seal up my beans.

#17 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,448 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for posting this. I had actually logged on to ask all you dehydrating maniacs LOL if you have ever done dry beans. I just unpacked another box and it had bags and jugs of dry beans and I was thinking some of them were pretty old and I needed to do something with them. This was the perfect post Thanks.
Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#18 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

Turtle, I heard someone (can't remember who...of course) say that it is just fine to season the beans first. She was talking about onion powder and garlic powder etc. in the cooking. Just be sure wherever you use the beans, you would want that flavoring in them. Most of the ones I've seen don't use the seasonings in case they don't want the flavor in a certain dish or if someone in the family doesn't like that seasoning.

Just got me thinking :imoksmiley: about cooking them with a little ham bouillion or smoke flavor added to the first cooking, before dehydrating, for beans and corn bread.

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#19 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 961 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Midnightmom, Katzcradul is the woman who made the how-to video that Jeepers posted above. She rinses/sorts the beans, then an overnight soak, then drains/rinses, then cooks -- I believe in the video she shares that she uses a pressure cooker but noted regular cooking is also fine. Then she dehydrates them.

If I remember correctly she also mentioned the price difference -- 8-10 cents/serving her way verses 80-84 cents/serving buying them freeze-dried. Some significant savings there!

Are you saying that pre-cooking & then dehydrating is the only way to preserve them for LTS w/o them turning to rocks???

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

#20 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Are you saying that pre-cooking & then dehydrating is the only way to preserve them for LTS w/o them turning to rocks???

I think so. The lady who did the video mentioned how light they are, and how well they rehydrate. It seems that pre-cooking is the key to them turning out quick cooking and non-rock-like.

Hers is a way to achieve similar results as the purchased canned quick cook beans out there for long term storage.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users