Photo

Dehydrating Soup Beans

32 replies to this topic

#21 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

The 8-10 cents per serving is not what I get, given current bean prices.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#22 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

If your beans aren't pre-cooked, you'll need to cook them from scratch...which means at least a couple of hours? Do we have that much fuel in reserve in an emergency situation? That's why I store "instant" rice rather than the others...not as nutritious...but lots of oriental's survive on them. Also why I put together tote boxes full of "add water only" biscuit mixes and cornbread mixes etc. I also put together my own little food saver sealed bags of "add water only" mixes for pancakes etc. The less fuel required the better in an emergency, boiling a bit of water & adding it to one's "add water only" mix seems like a good prep to me.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#23 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,259 posts
  • Interests:Momming, Gardening, Canning.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

Actually Philbe, I can't find a nutritional difference between instant brown rice and regular brown rice. And since regular brown rice goes rancid within 6 months and takes 40 minutes to cook, lately I've only been buying instant brown rice. White rice only takes 20 mins to cook so I've continued to purchase that since my family doesn't like the texture of instant white - they don't care for brown rice either which is why I hide it in soups and chilis!

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#24 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I use rice when I make stuffed bell peppers and tonight for supper, I fixed a big batch of oriental style egg rolls and threw in a bag of pre-cooked rice that I had in my freezer. We enjoy rice in lots of different ways, so don't have any problems eating it! LOL I usually fix up a HUGE pot full of rice & then divide it into small, 2 people portions, and let it cool so I can seal it in food saver bags for my freezers. Just a handy way for me to have it quick...when I'm lazy!? LOL So as you can imagine, I have lots of rice...pre-cooked...and minute rice. :feedme:

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#25 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:Preserving Food, Computers, Photography, Surviving Old Age

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

I just finished dehydrating 5 trays of pinto beans and very pleased with the results. They are great to snack on too, just like nuts. I was a little surprised to see about half of them opened out like popcorn. I don't know if that is normal or due to the age of my original dried beans (at least 7 years old I figure). I plan on more experimenting since I have lots of old dried beans.

For this batch I soaked overnight, pressure cooked for 3 minutes, off the heat for 10 minutes, and then rapid de-pressure. Beans were then put in the dehydrator at 130°F overnight.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

#26 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Nerd, I think they are supposed to look that way. I saw one of the videos talking about eating them like corn nuts.

Edited to say the ones I saw were the white soup beans like Great Northern.

Edited by Jeepers, 29 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#27 TurtleMama

TurtleMama

Canning/Dehydrating Fiend ;)

• Users2
  • 1,426 posts
  • Interests:Canning, dehydrating, standing up for the principles of the United States of America, and of course, my amazing family -- especially my precious son and daughter and my sweet DH.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, Canned Nerd, on the video she showed a close up of her dehydrated beans and several of them had split open. Seems to be the norm for dehydrating them.

I'm going to cook up a bunch of pintos this weekend and dehydrate them. I'll let y'all know how it works out! :)
A Dragon is, after all, the ultimate preparedness weapon. ;)

#28 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

The 8-10 cents per serving is not what I get, given current bean prices.

Is it significantly more (or less)? I haven't sat down to do my own figuring yet, I was going off of what was given in the video.

#29 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Just my own thoughts....if they've cracked open, perhaps you're dehydrating at too high of a temperature? I don't dehydrate over 130-135 because I don't want to cook, I want to dehydrate. I haven't made beef jerky, so I don't know what temp is best for them. It takes longer at 130+/- but they truly dehydrate and don't cook.

#30 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

The recommended temperatures I go by are:

Herbs 90° - 105°F
Veggies 130°F
Fruits 135°F or lower
Meats 145°F (*)

(*) Max setting on my old dehydrator but should be higher if possible.

I did my beans at 130°F.

#31 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Hmmm, I goofed, I think I overcooked the kidney beans (I was babysitting and sort of forgot they were on the stove simmering :blush: ) they were really soft, and as they're dehydrating, not just cracking, but bursting, and falling apart. I am thinking they will still be good for at the very least thickening soups with the powdery bits, and those that are remaining whole or just split can be for my bagged meals.

I'll be more careful with the next batch I do.

#32 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Probably make good refried beans.
I can, you can, too !

#33 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Or just nibble on them like nuts.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users