Photo

Canning Ham

27 replies to this topic

#21 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

TCG...I don't have any idea what pressure it will hold, so probably won't work for canning. I have a big canner that I bought used some time ago, but don't know enough about canning (even with a new one) to know if the gasket's good enough to be safe. Oh well...guess I'll stick with dehydrating for the time being...until I can afford a new canner.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#22 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:47 AM

(TRIED TO POST THIS EARLIER, BUT MY WIFI WENT DOWN)

Philbe-

The non-stick surface is Teflon. A bottom rack for your pot can be created by zip-tying several screw rings together, but I'm not sure whether it can be used for pressure canning, because if you don't know the weight of the "rattler" you won't know if you've created the proper pressure inside the pot for canning purposes.

Violet will probably be along any time now and can probably be more difinitive.

NEW-I bought my canner (used) on e-bay. You might try looking there, or possibly Craig's list.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

#23 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

No, Philbe, that is a cooker, not a canner. Unless it would hold at least 4 quart sized jars, not pints, it is only safe for cooking.
You must wait and get a real pressure canner, sorry.
I can, you can, too !

#24 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

(TRIED TO POST THIS EARLIER, BUT MY WIFI WENT DOWN)

Philbe-

The non-stick surface is Teflon. A bottom rack for your pot can be created by zip-tying several screw rings together, but I'm not sure whether it can be used for pressure canning, because if you don't know the weight of the "rattler" you won't know if you've created the proper pressure inside the pot for canning purposes.

Violet will probably be along any time now and can probably be more difinitive.

NEW-I bought my canner (used) on e-bay. You might try looking there, or possibly Craig's list.

From Philbe...I bought a used canner early this summer but don't know how to tell if the gasket's any good. That's why I've been reluctant to try it out...especially in my kitchen...LOL Do you know how to tell if they're good? If I get up the nerve, I guess maybe I'll try to find a new gasket at one of the farm supply stores near us.

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#25 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

No, Philbe, that is a cooker, not a canner. Unless it would hold at least 4 quart sized jars, not pints, it is only safe for cooking.
You must wait and get a real pressure canner, sorry.

From Philbe...Thanks Violet. As mentioned before, I bought a used one early this summer but don't know how to tell if the gasket's any good. Will look at farm supply stores around here for gaskets that match the brand of the canner. Then...perhaps try a really small batch. Can you only can a couple of jars...just in case things don't go as hoped for?

#26 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:Preserving Food, Computers, Photography, Surviving Old Age

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

If the gasket is soft and pliable, without any nicks or cracks in it, it should be good. You can test your canner by just putting 2"-3" of water in it and run it through its paces. After venting and pressure is allowed to build up, you should not see any water or steam existing from the area of the gasket/lid. If you do then the gasket should be replaced.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

#27 Midnightmom

Midnightmom

Y2K Leftover

• Users2
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

If the gasket is soft and pliable, without any nicks or cracks in it, it should be good. You can test your canner by just putting 2"-3" of water in it and run it through its paces[/b]. After venting and pressure is allowed to build up, [b]you should not see any water or steam existing from the area of the gasket/lid. If you do then the gasket should be replaced.

I had to replace mine eventually. I finally found a gasket at ACE Hardware(cost about $10). I took the old one with me and "matched" it in the store. Hint: if you have the box or the manual, the model no. should be printed on it somewhere. That is a much preferred way to buy your replacement!

Edited by Midnightmom, 17 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

As nations cannot be rewarded or punished in the next world, they must be in this.

By an inevitable chain of causes and effects, Providence punishes national sins by national calamities.

George Mason, Father of the "Bill of Rights"

#28 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,642 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:42 PM

My canner has the model number on the bottom of the canner. You can usually look it up on line and get parts for them.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users