Photo

Work place violence

22 replies to this topic

#1 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Healthcare field, landscaping, heirloom vegetable gardening, prepping and sharing self reliance.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

Never, Ever leave your cell phone in your purse, I did that last night.
The dentist I worked for is going through a horrible divorce and he went completely postal last night in front of his whole staff and 2 of our patients. Three of us were trapped in the sterilization room and had no way of getting out of the building. When he moved aside from the hall entrace, we all ran for the back door and ran for our cars.
I obviously quit my job and a few others as well, we reported him.
I always leave my cell phone in my car. Never, Ever again! That cell phone is staying planted in my pocket. I had no way of getting out of the building and no phone, how nuts is that?

#2 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:29 PM

:hug3: That had to be terrifying! I am so glad to hear you and the others got out of there safely.

I hope after the conditions that led to your needing to quit, that you can collect unemployment until you find somethng new. And of course praying that he doesn't end up hurting/killing anyone.

It really makes me think! Can't be safe anywhere these days.

#3 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad that you're safe and away from that man!

#4 homeschoolshe

homeschoolshe
  • Users2
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, family, homeshooling, sewing, herbs, camping

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:55 PM

Wow. Glad you are safe. Praying for the Lord to give you peace and to provide for you. Praying for the dentist too and for his wife's safety..
- She

#5 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Healthcare field, landscaping, heirloom vegetable gardening, prepping and sharing self reliance.

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

It's been a nerve recking day, I've thought about the other employees and who may have gone back.
Gerald Celente always say's when people lose everything they lose it, I can see this.
Please keep your cells phones on your body and be safe.

#6 WormGuy

WormGuy

Night Manuevers Rule!!

• Users2
  • 6,177 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, Canning, Woodworking, Making trouble, Night manuvers

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

My phone stays in my pocket and I don't care what any employer says. I put it on vibrate and check it when I can. I also would find out where all of the exits were when I would start a new job. I've had district managers tell everyone that cell phones had to stay in your locker or vehicle. Mine stayed in my pocket. Glad you made it out safe.

:wormie2:
John
Posted Image

Perfection Takes Time

Self Satisfaction Can Lead To Self Destruction

Failing to plan is planning to fail

#7 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

I can only imagine what must have been going through your mind! So glad you are safe.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#8 mi_familia

mi_familia

Family Friend

• Users2
  • 395 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Yikes! So glad you and others made it out safely!!

#9 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,705 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

:pray:

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#10 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:32 AM

:pray:

Thank you. I know the workers left behind will need your prayers.

#11 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 10,005 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

SHEEEESH, Rainy! So glad we aren't all reading this story in the front page news... As bad as it was, it chills the blood to easily imagine how bad it could have been. I'll bet you'll be processing this for some time to come.

Definitely should be able to get unemployment....and/or press charges. Terroristic threatening is not taken lightly. The fact that you all feared for your lives .... Were the police involved? Should be, you know. More record in case the wife needs a restraining order. Just a thot.

Thanks for a dramatic reminder to keep the tools of our prepping on us! It's getting so crazy, it's like we're living DAILY in the Amazon jungle with all manner of things jumping out to eat us or poison us or entrap us.... :twister3:

MtRider --- :pray: that God will lead you to your next job and provide protection for all involved in this
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#12 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

The police were not notified, shoudv'e been done though. I reported him to the employment department and the board of dentistry will be hearing from me. The employment department really is encouraging me to at least put in a file for the police. I think I've just been in shock and wasn't thinking straight, at least I quit the job. I have spent the last couple of day thinking about the situation and still shakey.
I am nagging, but please everyone keep a cell phone on your body for emergencies, you just never know.

#13 Deb2of9

Deb2of9

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,130 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, Reading, All types of crafts, I mostly knit and crochet. Mostly I like to spend time with my family.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

I always keep my phone and my wallet on my person at work. What I forget to keep with me is my car keys. Should keep them with me as well. Glad all worked out safely for everyone.

#14 rootdiggr

rootdiggr

Family Member

• Users2
  • 502 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I always keep my phone and my wallet on my person at work. What I forget to keep with me is my car keys. Should keep them with me as well. Glad all worked out safely for everyone.

I always have a car key with me, especially at work. I worked in a building that had three fires in the hvac system during the eight years I was there. After the first time standing outside for a few hours, I made sure that I had a key at all times. I don't keep my full ring, just a spare. Enough to me out of there if needed.

#15 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

I always have a car key with me, especially at work. I worked in a building that had three fires in the hvac system during the eight years I was there. After the first time standing outside for a few hours, I made sure that I had a key at all times. I don't keep my full ring, just a spare. Enough to me out of there if needed.

My husband keeps a spare key hidden under the truck, of course it's so well hidden I can never find it. I hadn't though about keeping one spare key on me, great idea.

#16 Becca_Anne

Becca_Anne

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

You must report this to the police. Have other employees go with you and file a report before someone gets hurt by this lunatic! I am so sorry you had to go through this. :bighug2:

#17 hillfarm

hillfarm
  • Users2
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Situational awareness is one of the most important things you can do to keep yourself safe, especially at work. I know that in the op's case, this is too little, too late, but perhaps it can help someone else.

Take some time to think about the layout of where you work. Plan multiple evacuation routes out from the locations you frequent most. Identify any blind hallways or bottleneck areas that would force you to have to travel past a potential attacker and come up with possible ways to reroute to go around those areas. Are there store rooms or connecting/adjoining rooms that you can use in an emergency situation? When you do get out, go to your vehicle only if you have good cover and can't be seen from above. Shooters will often shoot people in the back who are trying to escape.

Leaving is your first and best line of defense. If that is not possible, hide. Try to hide yourself in a secure place that the attacker cannot see. The best hiding places also have enough mass around them to stop any stray bullets. Behind a stack of empty cardboard boxes is better than nothing, but behind a couple of metal filing cabinets full of paper is a much better choice. Stay hidden until law enforcement gives the all clear.

(More later. I judt noticed it is time to leave for church!)

Edited by hillfarm, 23 December 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#18 hillfarm

hillfarm
  • Users2
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

If you can't get out and you can't hide, then you have to decide whether or not to attack. Experts vary on this but I think you have to assess each situation differently, based on that specific set of variables. I recently read an article that said that in cases with an active shooter, victims are 43 times less likely to be injured if they fight the shooter than if they passively wait for the shooter to end the event or wait for law enforcement to arrive. Each person has to know their own abilities and to decide what they will do.

If you do decide to fight (or think that would be your most likely decision should trouble arise), you can do some things now that will help tip the scales in your favor. If your place of employment permits CCW, consider getting licensed and then carry. If that won't work for you, consider that there are many items around the workplace that can be turned into improvised weapons.

Look for those that would extend your reach without forcing you to come close enough to get caught. Can you place a sturdy umbrella in a corner of your office or cubicle? Depending on your type of business, perhaps a stray piece of inventory such as a section of sturdy pipe could be "stored" in your area. Is there a fire extinguisher available? If you do have to get in close, anything that will harden your striking surface is a plus. Don't ignore things like letter openers, staplers, those 3-hole punch things. You can even pick up a sturdy electronic pencil sharpener and smash it up side someone's head if you have to. Strong ink pens can be very effective when jabbed into an attacker.

Don't underestimate the value of a good, old, basic hard-cover book. If you hold it with the open page side toward your fingers, you have a formidable weapon. The sharp corners can be very effective for poking, the spine of the book works great for smashing, and the broad flat surface is great for stunning.

I imagine in a dental office there would be plenty of small hand tools that could be used if necessary. To say nothing of all those metal trays.

Take a few minutes the next time you have a slow period and identify the self defense materials you could press into service if need be. By working through the various possible scenarios during calm moments, when you have time to troubleshoot and rethink things, you will be much more prepared to take effective action later, should the time come. HTH

#19 rainygardener

rainygardener
  • Users2
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

I am so greatful I did'nt go back.

Wow, lot's of helpful information. It's strange, I look for common weapons to use in my home, but never thought I'd have to use them in the work place. We had a lot of sharp instruments in that office, and blades as well. I totally lost it and crumbled in that situation, I am ashamed of that. I will think out the next senario at my next job.
You know, when you are at home alone you think of weapons and such, I became too comfortable at my job to think I would ever be in danger there, especially because my boss was soft spoken, untill he FLIPPED OUT.
Thank you again for the safety ideas.

#20 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,524 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

People who have lost sleep from nightmares have successfully sued the people or entities they got the nightmares from. I once met a guy who got $150k after surviving a plane crash. Pilot was coughing.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users