don't trust postal money orders

6 replies to this topic

#1 ScrubbieLady

ScrubbieLady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Well, just learned a lesson. Fortunately, not too expensive. Lost $24.00 plus $5.50 to the post office to show it had been cashed.

Let me backtrack. Last summer, we ordered some clothing from a company on the web. Sent a postal money order, thinking it was safer. Well, we were wrong. Now it is December and we don't have the merchandise and cannot get an answer from the company.

So, i go to the post office to find out if the money order has been cashed. Cost $5.50 for them to send in a request for the information. I got a copy of my cashed money order showing an endorsement by someone besides the payee.

So, i call the accounting service. They will send me an affidavit for me to sign and send it to the payee and they will sign if they cashed the money order or not. Then that goes to the post office and if we didn't cash it, the post office will reimburse the original amount of the money order, $24.00 (but it has already cost me $29.50). And I should send the affidavit via certified mail, return receipt requested (about $4-5.00).

But, they have to call me to arrange to send out the affidavit. They called this morning. Endorsement by other than the payee (if the payee is a business) does NOT show fraud. If it there is more than one company related to each other, any of them can cash the money order. After all, it is just like CASH. Actually, according to the woman on the phone, you don't have to put a payee name on the money order since anyone can cash it regardless of how it is endorsed.

So, why buy a postal money order. And they wonder why they are losing business.

#2 Violet

Violet

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

I do hope you get reimbursed ! That is awful. I see no reason to get a money order, then. I had no idea. I usually get a cashiers check from my credit union instead.
I can, you can, too !

#3 MrsClaus

MrsClaus

New Friend

• Users2
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

We had this happen as well. Only when we didn't get the merchandise, I was able to get the money refunded from the postal service. Then someone actually cashed it and we had to repay the postal service even though the person it was sent to did not cash it. The post office didn't care who it was actually made out to and that someone else had cashed it.

#4 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,014 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:13 PM

Seems that things must be pretty bad if someone named Mrs. Claus doesn't like the postal service! :santa:

MtRider ;)
Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#5 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Several years ago we had accumulated a large amount of "money orders" that we used when travelling. You would be astounded at the number of employees at WM's across the country that had no idea how to handle them...they nearly always had to call a manager to find out if it was a "check" or "money"...???

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#6 MrsClaus

MrsClaus

New Friend

• Users2
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

LOL! Well Mt_Rider the really sad thing was it did involve something for Christmas.

#7 ScrubbieLady

ScrubbieLady

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

I am still waiting for the affidavit from the po. In the meantime, I looked up the company address on GoogleEarth. Not a sign on the address for either the business I ordered from or the business that endorsed the check. The website is still there but hasn't been updated since 2007. Sounds like a good money maker for him.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users