Project 365

eating my yard!

57 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts
  • Interests:Momming, Gardening, Canning.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Living on a 1/3 acre urban lot, there is no way I could produce all of our food.  But, living in Central CA, I can garden year round.  My goal is to eat something out of my yard every single day of the year, even if it's only picking a fresh bay leaf and tossing it in the soup pot.  Wish me luck!  (I plan on posting a few pictures as soon as I figure out how!)

January 1 - mandarin oranges

January 2 - mandarin oranges

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Mt_Rider

Mt_Rider

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 9,845 posts
  • Interests:horses, rural living

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

I like this idea, Andrea!  Not that it would work in my climate zone..... :blink:

MtRider  ---we'll be cheering for your project.  :cheer:

Sarcina Rat A Voluntas

#3 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,666 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

Awesome idea Andrea.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#4 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts
  • Interests:Gardening, dogs, preparing for whatever comes...

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

That's a fantastic idea Andrea! Mind if I join you? Since I'm only a little further north I could probably manage it too. Some of my days might seem unusual because I try every year to see how long I can keep my hot weather plants going (partly as an experiment, partly because I was too busy to pull them up). So, here's my first two days.

January 1: bell pepper
January 2: bell pepper

Edited by dogmom4, 03 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#5 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Great idea! My climate zone wouldn't allow it either though. We only have 4-5 months where anything can grow outside. 

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#6 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

NICE!!!  But...we don't have that warmth here in the midwest.  We do get a little bit of a head start because we square foot garden, and cover the beds with an opaque-type milar that Mountain Man bought (on a roll) to keep the frost etc. off the newly planted seeds (usually sometime in March) but we really have to watch the temps and watch for frost warnings so we can make a run to the homestead house and get them covered.  Planted early last year and didn't lose anything, other than our corn due to drought.  Seems no matter how much we watered the corn, it just would not produce...neither the hybrid nor the heirloom.  Didn't get not one ear of corn!!!  All ears were dwarfed or sterile of nibblets. We usually can keep "something" growing until fall.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#7 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

The more the merrier, Dogmom!  LOL - one year I was making salsa in late December because my tomatoes and peppers were still producing!  I ripped them all up in October this year though to make room for favas and onions.  

For those who aren't able to garden year round, can you eat something with a homegrown product that you put up during the warmer months?  For example, for lunch today, I had vegetable soup that I had frozen a few months back.  I grew the cilantro, New Zealand spinach and the celery that went into the soup in my yard.  As far as I'm concerned, that counts for my challenge!  I'm also about to start dehydrating orange and lemon peels from my citrus trees to use for tea flavoring during the summer.  I'm totally counting that come August when it's 5,000 degrees outside and I can't peel myself off of the couch to go pick a zucchini!  Or, what about sprouting?   My lettuce beds are lousy this year.  I'm hoping I'll get a months worth of salad fixings out of them in the early spring but in the meantime, I'm sprouting!  Who needs lettuce on a sandwich when you've got fresh grown sprouts?  They were grown on my property, so I'm counting those too!

My goal is to be more mindful of what I eat and produce.  I can't grow 100% of my families needs, but I can try and make us more sustainable.  

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#8 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

1/1/13 - mandarin oranges

1/2/13 - mandarin oranges

1/3/13 - mandarins, soup with New Zealand Spinach, celery, & cilantro (not listing ingredients I didn't grow!)

Eleanor Roosevelt

#9 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'm also including eggs because we usually get 4 eggs a day...although right now it's one or two because my girls are coming out of a molt.

Jan 3: 2 eggs ( used to make scrambled eggs)

Edited by dogmom4, 03 January 2013 - 08:34 PM.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

#10 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,502 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I have plenty of citrus ripe at the moment, but to get through February I'd have to include sprouts from the kitchen counter.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#11 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

dogmom and Ambergris - if it was produced on your "urban homestead" then it's fair!  From eggs to sprouts, if you produced it on your urban lot, it counts!

I wish I could raise chickens but we just don't have the lifestyle for livestock right now - we travel too much for work. 

Eleanor Roosevelt

#12 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

1/3/13 - mandarins, soup with New Zealand Spinach, celery, & cilantro (not listing ingredients I didn't grow!)

1/4/13 - orange & Jerusalem artichoke & potato soup with fresh garlic chives. (I didn't grow the potatoes)

Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,502 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

1/1/13 Pomelo

1/2/13 Random kind of citrus, probably a satsuma or a satsuma's daughter.

1/3/13 Random kind of citrus, same as yesterday.

1/4/13 A measly little excuse for a sweet potato.

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#14 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

January 3: 2 eggs ( used to make scrambled eggs)
January 4: 2 eggs, 1 bell pepper

Edited by dogmom4, 04 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.

#15 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

1/4/13 - orange & Jerusalem artichoke & potato soup with fresh garlic chives. (I didn't grow the potatoes)

1/5/13 - orange, leftover soup, made a new soup with jerusalem artichokes, cilantro, new zealand spinach, bay leaf, & dehydrated tomatoes among other things I didn't grow!

Eleanor Roosevelt

#16 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

January 5: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper (last one...had to pull up hot weather plants because we ended up with 3 days of a hard freeze. Still have two pepper plants in greenhouse. We'll see what they do.)

Edited by dogmom4, 06 January 2013 - 02:19 AM.

#17 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I don't think I'll dip into any of my stored/dehydrated foods. Need to save them for an emergency. Just have to wait for gardening season here and help myself to our tomato's lettuces, radishes and then the other goodies when they come in...LOL We'll be moving our square foot gardening system before too long to a larger part of the yardage (4 lots) because we want to put in four more squares.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#18 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

1/4/13 - orange & Jerusalem artichoke & potato soup with fresh garlic chives. (I didn't grow the potatoes)

1/5/13 - orange, leftover soup, made a new soup with jerusalem artichokes, cilantro, new zealand spinach, bay leaf, & dehydrated tomatoes among other things I didn't grow!

1/6/13 - citrus & soup & a salad from home grown lettuce & fresh sprouts for dinner

Eleanor Roosevelt

#19 dogmom4

dogmom4

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

January 5: 2 eggs, 1 chili pepper (last one...had to pull up hot weather plants because we ended up with 3 days of a hard freeze. Still have two pepper plants in greenhouse. We'll see what they do.)
January 6: 2 eggs

Edited by dogmom4, 06 January 2013 - 11:40 PM.

#20 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

1/6/13 - citrus & soup & a salad from home grown lettuce & fresh sprouts for dinner
1/7/13 - same as yesterday plus I whipped up a new batch of potato & jerusalem artichoke soup.  

Eleanor Roosevelt

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users