14 replies to this topic

#1 gofish

gofish

my Dear Husband's cheerleader

• Users2
  • 1,510 posts
  • Interests:reading, old cookbooks , how to books

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

The ladies at church have a craft night once a month. I go and work on my crochet project. crochet.gif

I've wanted to teach my girls to crochet but they are not interested. I did teach my Son.  He learned the basics just to say he knows how. He gets bored quickly. He's a teenager. :rolleyes: He learned to knit off of You Tube.

I did teach a friend the double crochet stitch but when it came to making a pattern she got overly frustrated. She was doing fine, I didn't care how many times I had to show her the same pattern but she kept apologizing and talking to herself in Spanish. I feel that I failed her. :sigh:

When I make coffee for church I take my crochet project with me to work on. A woman wanted to see what I was working on so I showed her the crocodile stitch shawl I'm making. She wants to learn the basket weave stitch did I know how?

Yes, I do know that one.

Another woman has a DD that wants to learn to crochet. Could I help her DD? :scratchhead:

I was hoping it was her older teenage DD  but it's the younger one that wants to learn. 

Showing a basket weave stitch to someone that knows how to crochet should not be hard.

Helping a young lady to crochet has me :runcirclsmiley2: It's been awhile since I've been around someone under 10.

How would you teach her ?

#2 Cat

Cat

Looking to Him...

• Administrators
  • 12,675 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, cooking & baking, parenting... Oh, LOTS of stuff!!

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

I would start with something both useful and quick, like a cotton dishcloth.  I have found that people really like the crocheted dishcloth because it has enough "knots" to scrub well, and is nicely absorbent

Once she has made a couple and given them to people she admires or wants to impress, she'll be "hooked". (pun intended! :happy0203:)  

I just crochet 25 stitches, then go back and single crochet in 24 stitches, returning back, etc.  I keep going until I've got about 13 "ridges", until the dishcloth is square, and tie off & reweave the edge in.  I usually get about 13 dishcloths for one of the big rolls at Wal-Mart.

If she handles that well, and gets great reviews, maybe she'd like to make a small "lap robe", followed by an afghan...?  Or a small doll's blanket for herself or another child. 

cat.jpg

Where words and actions disagree, the heart is revealed.

Look how often the unexpected happens... and we still don't expect it.

#3 indy gal preps

indy gal preps
  • Users2
  • 308 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

My girls got very discuraged when taking sewing in school,they made things they did not like and would never use,so I would have her make a scarf and hat for herself.The hats I do for charity are just single crochet in the back loops only(this makes ribs and is the same on every row.I start with baby yarn for babys and 24 sc.40 sc for adults.,and just continue until it fits around the head,then slip stitch it together and take a needle and gather the top together tightly and tie off several times.A scarf can be made to match.I do not like the crocheted dish cloths,I think they are too thick and cumbersome,I knit the ones I make out of cotton yarn-not acrilic it does not absorb water. Also I would have her sit beside me so she can do exactly what you do,if she is left handed have her sit across from you,I taught this way when teaching at a craft store-Also let her pick the color yarn she likes.

#4 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

My preferences for the "whats" are afghan squares to put together for lap robes or bed toppers, using yarn.  I like shower scrubbies made out of yarn or crochet threads.  I also like to use heavy gauge crochet threads (not yarns) for dishclothes.  Several of my other favorites are hats, scarves, sweaters and vests.  I think if your students see the multitude of things available to them, they will often pick their own project and want you to teach them, understanding of course they understand they need to learn basic stitchery.  Sounds like you're going to get lots and lots of practice, but what a rewarding opportunity for you to pass on this relaxing skill!

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#5 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,812 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

After I learned the basic slip stitch, I used the magazine "Magic Crochet" to learn.  

You should have no problem teaching them.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#6 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

I think you will do a great job :)

Her wanting to learn is a big motivator in itself, and I've noticed that the younger kids seem to get so much more in to things they're interested in.  I wouldn't be surprised if the young girl's attention span and dedication exceed what her teen sister's would be.

#7 lovinit

lovinit

Family Member

• Users2
  • 599 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

The tricky part of teaching children will be having them "see" results of their efforts rather quickly.  Perhaps you could ask Stephanie about the cute little

"Sunflower  Scrubies" she was teaching how to make at the gathering.

#8 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Scrubbies are an excellent idea!  In fact, I just finished two more "dish" scrubbies for washing my dishes.  I love them, and they hold alot of dish soap plus I can pitch them in the washer and dryer and keep them nice and sanitary.

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#9 gofish

gofish

• Users2
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

1st I'm going to see that she knows the 5 basic stitches. I have some simple hats and scarf samples that I can show her. I have Friday off so I think I'll make up a few samples. I wonder how many different  patterns I can make up.

Craft night is Friday.

I was talking to the woman that wants to learn the basket weave stitch. Now I'm not so sure she has a lot of crocheting experience because of something she said, guess I'll find out.

If she can come she would also bring her DD who is in her early teens.

#10 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Another fairly easy crochet that I make, is an oval "mitt" that I put Mtn.Man's bar of shower soap in, lace it up, and he's got his soap & scrubbie all in hand.

#11 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

How'd it go?

#12 gofish

gofish

• Users2
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

I found out she is 9. She picked it up fast but we have to work on how to properly hold yarn to crochet.

She didn't get why I wanted her to hold the yarn that way.

#13 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Sounds as though she's a quick study  :) 

Hopefully the woman who wants to learn from you will be similar to her learning-wise.

#14 gofish

gofish

• Users2
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

Her Mother told me while they were on spring break she was teaching her cousins how to crochet.

She told her Mom that the cousins only know how to chain and she thought that was sad.

#15 lumabean

lumabean
  • Users2
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

:D  that's sweet of her, teaching her cousins.  The student has become a teacher :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users