24 replies to this topic

#1 TheCG

TheCG

Official Forum Brat

• Users2
  • 920 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

http://bakeoff-flunk...een-onions.html

I had some green onions that were going bad in the fridge, so I cut off the roots and deslimed them, then stuck them in shot glasses on my windowsill.  The covered porch makes it where they don't get direct sunlight, but they each have at least an inch to an inch and a half of green growing out of them now and it's only been a few days.

...I forgot what I was thinking. 

:bounce:

#2 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

You can stick them in the dirt too.  I've got an half dozen in a planter growing.

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#3 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

Fiddlesticks!  Just threw out a bundle of them from the frig that went south on me.  They somehow got buried under some other produce in my frig drawer.  Again, fiddlesticks!

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#4 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Ohhh, great idea. So I wonder...could you use half of the white part then put the left over in a glass of water in the window and grow more white part? I've never had any left over green onions. I loves em.

You can't always get what you want, babe

But if you try sometimes, you just might find

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#5 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,556 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I need to do this with a couple i have in the refrig now. They got shoved to the back of the drawer and I didn't realize they were there. I use green onions year round. I used to plant them in an old muffin tin and grow them all year long but since moving here I haven't done that I was afraid they would freeze in the window. I am adding an in house green house this next month or two. It will be a shelf unit with grow lights and I plan on having lettuce, onions and starting my herbs in there.

Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#6 Annarchy

Annarchy

the softer side of chaos

• Users2
  • 5,774 posts
  • Interests:God & Life

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

So I wonder...could you use half of the white part then put the left over in a glass of water in the window and grow more white part?

As long as you leave enough white area near the root system, yes, it will grow.

Another thing you can do to help jump-start it's growth is, put the root piece in a small bag, root side down. As you twist the bag top loosely, breathe into it, set it in the veggie crisper, root side down and wait a couple of days.  The roots generally will start to grow and some of the greenery will start to come back.  Once it has started growing again, then put it in the water glass.

Water glass growing works to re-green the light yellow internal part of celery also....

Words, are spirits.
God's, are Life.

#7 TheCG

TheCG

Official Forum Brat

• Users2
  • 920 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

From reading the blogs I've found on it, it sounds like eventually they quit growing green.  I wonder if adding a bit of fertilizer or nutrients would fix that.

#8 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I need to do this with a couple i have in the refrig now. They got shoved to the back of the drawer and I didn't realize they were there. I use green onions year round. I used to plant them in an old muffin tin and grow them all year long but since moving here I haven't done that I was afraid they would freeze in the window. I am adding an in house green house this next month or two. It will be a shelf unit with grow lights and I plan on having lettuce, onions and starting my herbs in there.

Comment from Philbe..."be careful of them grow lights!" LOL

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#9 Ambergris

Ambergris

Family Member

• Users2
  • 3,570 posts
  • Interests:Reading. Writing. Gardening and permaculture. Cat-wrangling. Puppy-feeding. Beekeeping.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I have two window boxes sprouting garlic now.  I'd given up on them!

"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." Edward R. Murrow (1908-1965)

#10 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,556 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Well yesterday I tried this we will see how it goes. I cut the tips off and stuck them in water and put them in the window seal if nothing happens they hit the compost bowl. If they work I will have fresh green onions.

Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#11 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Be sure to report back mommato. Pweeeeze.

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#12 TheCG

TheCG

Official Forum Brat

• Users2
  • 920 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Mine have about 3-4 inches of green on them now.

Yay!

#13 Jeepers

Jeepers

Family Member

• Users2
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Mine have about 3-4 inches of green on them now.

Yay!

:woohoo:

You get what you need.

~Mick and Keith~

#14 Canned Nerd

Canned Nerd

Canning Nerd

• Users2
  • 1,611 posts
  • Interests:Preserving Food, Computers, Photography, Surviving Old Age

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

I'm going to plant mine outside in the dirt, as soon as the weather clears up, to see how they do. 

Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

#15 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I stuck some sweet potatoes in some jars of water with toothpicks to hold them up a bit, just wanted to test them out for some grins.

#16 TheCG

TheCG

Official Forum Brat

• Users2
  • 920 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

The onions kept going for 3 or 4 weeks before they started getting slimy and pale.  I gave up at that point. 

#17 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

I stuck the bottom bit of some romaine lettuce in a dish of water to see if it would continue to grow... We shall see, as it's only been three days.

#18 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sweet potatoes aren't doing anything...???

#19 kappydell

kappydell

Family Member

• Users2
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:self reliance; lo-tech living; cooking, crafts, anything to do with food!!, camping, livestock, garden & orchard, hunting, fishing, trapping, camping, etc.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:29 PM

I had some sweet potato vines last spring. Try cutting them in half and sticking the pointy end down in the water. That worked for me, but the whole one didn't. It sometimes takes 2 weeks for the sprouts to show up. The vine, by the way, is edible and delicious! So if it gets too long, now you know what to do with the prunings.

Oh yes....I have also regrown celery roots the same was as the green onions...just put the roots in a little dish with some water in a sunny place, and they will sprout. You can then plant out in soil for 'free' celery. I just kept trimming it off and using it for seasoning until the roots petered out from just the water. I assume they would last longer in dirt.

I did the green onions too, and I had only 1 inch above the roots to work with. They sprouted up really quickly and were delicious!

Edited by kappydell, 12 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#20 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

Thanks!  I do that.  I was just about to pitch them.  Groaning over the celery thing...I just threw out about 4 heads when I bought, sliced & froze some.  Thinking of that V8 commercial when they pop their foreheads and say "I could of ..." LOL

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users