Green Onions on the Windowsill

24 replies to this topic

#21 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

The romaine lettuce has grown about an inch since I placed it in the window. Not enough for a sandwich and only the center portion is growing. I will try to remember to post a photo.

#22 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Thanks!  I do that.  I was just about to pitch them.  Groaning over the celery thing...I just threw out about 4 heads when I bought, sliced & froze some.  Thinking of that V8 commercial when they pop their foreheads and say "I could of ..." LOL

Just decided to pitch them.  No sunny windows to put them in except the patio room, and it's very chilly there since that's where my dehydrators are.  Will just try them when garden season comes in.

(formerly known as Philbe)

Matthew 6:11  "Give us this day our daily bread...amen." 

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#23 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

The romaine lettuce has grown about an inch since I placed it in the window. Not enough for a sandwich and only the center portion is growing. I will try to remember to post a photo.

Will they grow in garden-like soil? Just wondering.

Phillipians 4:19  "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus....amen"

1 Corinthians 13:4-8  "Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant  or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things"...let me walk this out Lord.

#24 themartianchick

themartianchick

Quail Flockmistress

• Users2
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I don't see any roots yet, Philbe! I may be able to just let them grow in tap water. The other one was just placed in the water two days ago, but I haven't seen much happening with it yet. I just sliced off a thin layer of the stump at the bottom to ensure that the plant would be able to draw water. I just tweeted this photo out and it got a lot of attention from my followers. In my mind, I am envisioning a low trough with a couple of rows of these stumps growing new heads of lettuce... especially in the winter. If this works, then I might never have to buy romaine again. I have three more heads in the fridge and plan to do the same with them when we're done eating the lettuce.

3c5268528f4d11e2b4ea22000a1fbdb0_6.jpg

Edited by themartianchick, 17 March 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#25 The WE2's

The WE2's
  • Users2
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

The reason I asked is because we planted some Romaine last year and all it did was grow ugly, course leaves so I ended up just discarding them.  Thought if they grew roots I could transplant into my garden.  Oh well, just a thought.  I don't have enough free window space to plant anything in windows, that's why I don't "start" anything.  I just plant as early as I can (we have sq.ft. garden) and put our opaque covers over them if it it going to frost or storm etc.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users