Lemon Balm Tincture

Tackling one of my 13 in 13!

6 replies to this topic

#1 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,261 posts
  • Interests:Momming, Gardening, Canning.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

I use lemon balm occasionally to help with heart palpitations I sometimes get with hot flashes and I give it to my daughter when she has rough monthly cycles.  I've found that the easiest way to use lemon balm is in a tincture form.  I've always bought it from the health food store in the past but I have lemon balm growing all over my yard and while I make tea with it during the spring and summer, I seldom bother drying it for winter use.  The tincture usually covers me for the 2 months when my lemon balm isn't producing.  I'm almost out so I went to the local health food store and they've quit selling it.  One of my 13 in 13 tasks was to learn how to make my own tincures.  So today, I went to the store and bought my 100 proof vodka and then went to the South side of the house where my lemon balm generally produces year round.  I found enough young, green leaves to work with and I now have a quart size jar of lemon balm marinating.  I hope it works!  But, I need to wait several weeks to find out.  Some of the resources I used:

http://gettingthere....m-tincture.html

http://www.lemonbalm...h.MOtKIy1v.dpbs

http://www.healing-f...-tinctures.html

I had no idea it was so easy to make!  

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,561 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Let me know how this works. I think I have some vodka, oh wait that is Irish whiskey I have darn. I will have to invest in vodka but still let me know how this works. Lemon balm is one of the herbs I am planting this next year.

Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#3 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

I'll let you know if 4 - 6 weeks!  It's turning a lovely light green color, the commercial stuff I buy is usually a seriously unattractive shade of brown LOL

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 Jori

Jori

happy Hoosier Mama

• Users2
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

You need the vodka to make vanilla extract, too.  Always a good thing to have on had.  Works well with tonic water on the rare occasion. 

#5 mommato3boys

mommato3boys

19th century girl stuck in the 21st century

• Users2
  • 4,561 posts
  • Interests:digging in the dirt, camping, reading, crafts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

You need the vodka to make vanilla extract, too.  Always a good thing to have on had.  Works well with tonic water on the rare occasion. 

Guess I need to invest in vodka. I looked and I do have a little bit of vodka. Probably enough to do one batch.

Posted Image
wife to a darling man since 1981 and mother to 3 wonderful young men.
http://muffiesplace.blogspot.com
Don't tick off a redhead it very well could be the last thing you ever do.

#6 Andrea

Andrea

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Sorry, I never got around to updating this thread!  I ended up making three batches of lemon balm tincture (triple distilled), which was far more than I need, LOL.  I'm not fond of the the smell of the 100 proof vodka and my end product turned the same unattractive shade of brown as the commercial product, but the stuff works.  I usually put it in my chamomile tea at night, especially those nights when my mind is racing with a thousand and one things I need to do. The lemon balm actually helps me to relax and focus.  And since lemon balm is a fever reducer, I'll often increase the dose and give it to my daughter mixed with a liberal amount of honey and her favorite lemon tea when she's sick.  

A good thing to have on hand.  I really need to get started on making an elderberry tincture next.  I've heard though that the tiny stems are toxic, so I need to research and see if I need to remove all the stems before starting the tincture.  I have several bags of elderberries still in my freezer that I haven't processed yet because of those stupid little stems . . .

Any thoughts?

Edited by Andrea, 16 February 2014 - 01:32 AM.

Eleanor Roosevelt

#7 ArmyOfFive4God

ArmyOfFive4God

My life is carob....

• Users2
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:18 PM

I don't filter my elderberry from herbalcom. Don't know if it has "tiny little stems" but if so, we're all still alive 0_o

As for the lemon balm- THANKS!!! for the update. I LOVE lemon balm as a tea. I grow the stuff. LOVE the smell. I didn't even think to make a tincture, though I make all sorts of other tinctures.

:canning: Living Vicariously Vintage... Because Life is delicious! :canning:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users