27 replies to this topic

#1 logcabinmama

logcabinmama

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,853 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Baking, Sewing, Crafts, Basket Making

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:31 AM

I did a search and here is one site that I thought might be of interest to at least Becca.

Pray for Peace

#2 Homesteader

Homesteader

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:gardening, reading, gym, being frugal

Posted 22 September 2004 - 11:17 AM

Although I have always had unusual last names which I have to re-spell to many people...when it comes to doing genealogy it is a blessing. I can't imagine how hard it is to find the "correct" Smith, Jones, Miller etc when tracing roots.
Posted Image

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

My maiden name was Jones and let me tell you, there are a gazillion of us!!!

#4 Wheeler

Wheeler

Family Member

• Users2
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Computer, fishing, cooking

Posted 22 September 2004 - 03:02 PM

Gol---ly y'all, we might be kin!!! Let me tell you a good one... My 5th great grandfather Richard Jones had several children but I believe that my 4th great grandmother Elizabeth was the only girl... Anyway, Richard told Elizabeth that if she married "well" and to his liking that when he died he would leave her 50 pounds Sterling... Sooooo along comes my 4th great grandfather Richard Hodges and he seys to himself "Hmmm, 50 pounds!" So he married her and later her father Richard says "Since she married so "well", instead of leaving her 50 pounds, I'm going to leave her the same thing that I leave my sons." Well back then the only thing the daughters got was a bed and bedstead and the clothes that they wore, so this was a good deal... but, old Richard died and didn't leave her anything... He left all the sons property but left nothing to Elizabeth! So she and Richard Hodges, her husband, sued the estate and WON!!! But in order to win they had to pay witnesses to come back to Virginia from North and South Carolina and it cost them more than they got from the lawsuit... I guess it was just the principle and the satisfaction that they got from getting what was due them... Wonder why he thought that he had to "buy" a husband for her? Sorry this is so long!
Always Seek&Follow the Light.....Wheeler

#5 Homesteader

Homesteader

Family Member

• Users2
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:gardening, reading, gym, being frugal

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

Cute story SCMary.

When we were reading some of DH's family wills from the late 1700's we got a kick out of how women were treated. In one of them the hubby left his wife a guaranteed 8x10 space in their home. Of course, the house itself was left to his oldest son. Actually, I guess she did good for a woman of that era since he also instructed that the son provide her with a barrel of apples each year too.
Posted Image

#6 HapyGirl

HapyGirl

New Friend

• Users2
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

When I first started doing geneaology I thought I'd never be able to track the Jones line down due to the common name, but it can be done!

I was able to find MY Jones relatives My Jones relatives can be traced back to NY. Charles Minor Jones was born abt. 1823 he married Lydia Malissa Perry of NY. Their son James Corcket Jones was my g-g-grandfather. He murdered his wife Isora Overacher. So it was a huge scandal and in the papers and there are criminal records. I have transcripts of the trial and everything. They were married in NE and then all the families moved to ID. It is amazing what you can find once you know where to look! Isora was born in Rome township, Jones Co, IA. I found them all in the 1860 IA Census! These families moved around together apparently as was so common in those days. The brother married one of her sisters, and ended up raising the children.

*Just noting that this is MY post that the names got messed up long ago when we had the board crash Becca_Anne)

Edited by Becca_Anne, 04 February 2011 - 10:47 PM.
Attribution to correct poster

#7 logcabinmama

logcabinmama

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:11 PM

Pray for Peace

#8 Wheeler

Wheeler

Family Member

• Users2
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Computer, fishing, cooking

Posted 09 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

Becca Anne, I thought you might get a kick out of this...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I went searching for an ancestor, I cannot find him still.
He moved around from place to place, and didnít leave a will.
He married where a courthouse burned, he mended all his fences.
He avoided any man who came to take the U. S. Census.

He always kept his luggage packed, this man who had no fame.
And every 20 years or so, this rascal changed his name.
His parents came from Europe, they should be on some list
Of passengers to the USA, but somehow they were missed.

And no one else in this world is searching for this man,
So Iím playing ĎGene-Solitaireí, to find him if I can.
Iím told heís buried in a plot, with tombstone he was blessed.
But the weather took the engraving, and vandals took the rest.

He died before the county clerks decided to keep records.
No family Bible has emerged, in spite of all my efforts.
To top it off, this ancestor, who caused me so many groans
Just to give me one more pain, betrothed a girl named JONES!!!
Always Seek&Follow the Light.....Wheeler

#9 HapyGirl

HapyGirl

New Friend

• Users2
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

ROFLOL Thanks for the poem SCMary I think I'll print that out and put it in my Jones folder

#10 HapyGirl

HapyGirl

New Friend

• Users2
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:58 PM

Snowmom- I have a Frank Benton Jones, brother of James Crockett Jones b. 1882 in my family Hmmm..... there has to be a connection somewhere in there- Benton County is only 2 counties north of where my family was located in Freemont County at the time of the 1880 IA census.
My Jones family lived in Sidney, Freemont, IA at that time.

#11 logcabinmama

logcabinmama

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:02 PM

Wow!!! Becca, that is really something. I'll have to look Freemont up on the map. Mine lived in Mapleton, Monona Co., IA.

Pray for Peace

#12 HapyGirl

HapyGirl

New Friend

• Users2
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:13 PM

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ia/county/linn...0fedcensus2.txt

620 638 There is a Sarah A. Scott listed as daughter of John and Mary Scott on this page, plus some Jones Family.

#13 logcabinmama

logcabinmama

Family Member

• Users2
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:26 PM

Very interesting, Becca.

Pray for Peace

#14 HapyGirl

HapyGirl

New Friend

• Users2
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:34 PM

A link that might be of interest to you snowmom, not sure if I shared this one with you before? It's about Mapleton

http://freepages.books.rootsweb.com/~coove...western_35.html

#15 smartone

smartone
  • Users2
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

When I first started doing geneaology I thought I'd never be able to track the Jones line down due to the common name, but it can be done!

I was able to find MY Jones relatives My Jones relatives can be traced back to NY. Charles Minor Jones was born abt. 1823 he married Lydia Malissa Perry of NY. Their son James Corcket Jones was my g-g-grandfather. He murdered his wife Isora Overacher. So it was a huge scandal and in the papers and there are criminal records. I have transcripts of the trial and everything. They were married in NE and then all the families moved to ID. It is amazing what you can find once you know where to look! Isora was born in Rome township, Jones Co, IA. I found them all in the 1860 IA Census! These families moved around together apparently as was so common in those days. The brother married one of her sisters, and ended up raising the children.

Guess I don't know how to use this yet. Hope you're still out there. Recently began checking out my Jones family. I too am related to Charles Minor Jones and Lydia Malissa Perry. I come through their daughter Anna Belle who married Joseph Warren Weeter. Wondering if you are interested in sharing information on the family. Would love to see the transcripts of James' trial and learn where he died. I have deaths and marriages of most of the other siblings.

Paul

#16 Snowmom

Snowmom

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 11,491 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, bird watching, crafts, some sewing and baking.

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

Posted Image

Back in the 2004, all of our names or most of the names got mixed up, for a while, in the site move. I think the Becca_Anne is really the HapyGirl and I know I am the Logcabinmama, but, I am really Snowmom. :)

Anyway, I have 'Jones' in my family, but, don't know as any of them go with your Jones. Have you ever tried 'USGENWEB.COM? only they are all small letters. http://usgenweb.com That should get you there.

Let me know if you find anything that helps. :)

Posted Image Posted Image

#17 Becca_Anne

Becca_Anne

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 3,602 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hi Paul!! I'm the one you're looking for :) I really have only basic information, and I haven't been working on my genealogy for a few years. My family tree can be found at http://wc.rootsweb.a...cgi?db=:2559704 with all the info I have on the family. Nice meeting you cousin :)

#18 The MacKinnon

The MacKinnon
  • Users2
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Christian Faith & Theology, Homesteading, History, Preps, Dogs, Horses

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:53 PM

Ah yes, looking for "Jones" connections. I have 2 of 'em - same family. I have an Allen Jones, born about 1810 (give or take) in Tennessee, who married Mary Jane Love in Sumner County Tennessee. They had several kids but went to Butler Co. KY by 1859, when my great-grandmother, Margaret E Jones was born. Then, Wiley Jones, born about 1820 (again, give or take) also in Sumner Co Tennessee married Mary E Neal. They had several boys until her death before 1870, including my great-grandfather, Isaac A Jones. Wiley remarried at least once, but stayed in Sumner County, Tennessee.

I know Mary Jane Love's father's name was William Love and her mother was Polly. Found that on Mary Jane's death record from Butler County, KY. I'm pretty sure Mary E Neal was the daughter of Britton Jones Neal and Elizabeth McNeely, all of Sumner County TN. It would seem Britton, middle name Jones, has his own "Jones" connection.

And, lucky me, Margaret Jones, daughter of Allen and Mary Jane, marries Isaac Jones, daughter of Wiley and Mary. I can't get back further on Allen and Wiley or Britton Jones Neal. Can't find anymore on William Love or wife, Polly. One Sumner County census has him married to Margaret. Assume it's same guy, but who knows.

Witnesses/bondsmen for Allen and Mary Jane were Rich Charlton and William Wright. For Wiley and Mary it was William Campbell. There's a connection in all this somewhere, but so far, it's eluded me.
Posted Image
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow
for those who do not. ~Thomas Jefferson

#19 Aunt Dee

Aunt Dee
  • Users2
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

Paul, I'm also from Anna Belle and Joseph Warren. I have a cousin who is working on the Jones line. We both would love to share information with you. My grandfather bought the Weeter home that Anna Belle bought in Provo, Utah when they first moved there. That house is still in the family.
Hope to hear from you!

Melody

Guess I don't know how to use this yet. Hope you're still out there. Recently began checking out my Jones family. I too am related to Charles Minor Jones and Lydia Malissa Perry. I come through their daughter Anna Belle who married Joseph Warren Weeter. Wondering if you are interested in sharing information on the family. Would love to see the transcripts of James' trial and learn where he died. I have deaths and marriages of most of the other siblings.

Paul

#20 Snowmom

Snowmom

Honored Family Member

• Moderators
  • 11,491 posts
  • Interests:Genealogy, bird watching, crafts, some sewing and baking.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

Since there are new 'Jones' people on here, I am going to say again, I am also from the 'Jones' and my gr-gr-grandfather was one of several kids. He and some of his brothers swam across the Ohio river to get away from their Uncle who had slaves and treated them badly. My gr-gr-grandfather ended up in Ohio, but they got sepreated and I don't know any more from there back. He was born in: Louisville (Jefferson Co.) Kentucky, December 25, 1808. He died: 24 Feb 1886, in Waynesburg, Indiana. He married: Elizabeth Sidwell as well as her sister, Eleanor Sidwell, after Elizabeth died. They, Horace and Elizabeth had 9 children. My grandfather was Thomas Benton Jones who was married to, Sarah Ann Scott.

Does any of this sound like something that has been passed down to you?

Posted Image Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users