MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Songbirds and such...

vineeta207

I'm a relative newcomer to MrsSurvival so pardon me for bringing this up if it has already been discussed. I have a question for the group but, as I've thought about it, I think I've already answered it. (smile)

Does anyone maintain backyard bird feeders? I had several areas set up with different types of feeders and I was a regular at the local bird store. Last December I went there to buy a Christmas gift and I made the mistake (as it turned out) of asking the proprietor his opinion of whether or not the "bird flu thing" would pan out. My mistake. It didn't dawn on me how this would affect his livelihood. I'll just say he revealed a side of himself that customers shouldn't see.

Ever since then my enthusiasm to feed the birds has waned. All I keep going now is two hummingbird stations. We'll throw out our pizza crusts but we don't maintain the feeders and I doubt we'll return to that hobby for the foreseeable future.

Is it unwise to feed the backyard birds? I'd like to hear your opinion.

Blessings!

Guest Guest

As I see it, the bigger problem right now with BF is with the larger waterfowl, or at least that's what the authorities would have us believe.

But there are other problems with songbirds. They've been associated with West Nile virus, which are spread by mosquitoes to humans.

We couldn't afford to buy seed last winter, so we didn't see as many birds around. But they come back in the summer anyway. Too much natural feed around... seeds and berries and bugs.

Guest Guest

We, too, feed the birds and get great enjoyment out of doing so, but that said, we have discussed whether this is a good idea or not. Feel like so far it is okay, if the BF gets close we will discontinue this hobby - what a bummer!

I'd rather be spending that extra seed money on food and stuff for my family.

Well said, Cat, and your point is spot on.

Just wondered if it is inadvisable to toss out bread crumbs or other table scraps that would otherwise go in the garbage disposal.

I miss seeing the birds at the feeders. They are still in the yard so I'll be satisfied with that, unless the situation totally deteriorates.

BTW, I realized I don't know how to highlight Cat's sentence to separate it from my response. Anyone???

Quote:

BTW, I realized I don't know how to highlight Cat's sentence to separate it from my response. Anyone???

Hi Glynn,
Click on "quote" instead of "reply" & it will put the whole note you're replying to in it's own box on your note. - ick)
Guest Guest
Quote:
Click on "quote" instead of "reply" & it will put the whole note you're replying to in it's own box on your note.

*OR*

If you don't want the *entire* message quoted, highlight what you want to quote, then "copy" it by right-clicking.

Then click on "Reply", and when you get to that page, click on "Quote" in the box of options under "Instant UBB Code". Then just paste your copied stuff between the two quote thingys that come up.

Sat 6/24, our mainstream TV news in Seattle finally had a blurb about WHO/Avian flu/mutation/ Indonesia. Not much, just a mention of flu mutating from chicken to human; & the human to human. This all right under screaming headlines about N. Korea. So how many people paid attention to the story? Not anyone who should have...I'll bet. Clever ploy by the authorities!! Just thought I'd mention that the Pacific NW is finally catching on. Wonder what will be said when the fall migration commences. Right now we get info that NO birds in the Artic tested positive this Spring.Skagitgal.

Guest Guest

We fed wild songbirds in winter for many years. We bought wild bird seed for some, plus filled suet feeders for others, and spent many hours watching them out our windows. In summertime, we always have at least 3 hummingbird feeders filled. This last winter, we did not put out bird seed or suet feeders. We did put out the hummingbird feeders this spring though.

We've also changed a lot of our domestic poultry arrangements. We got rid of our ducks and geese both. We had originally planned to put them on our new pond when we moved, but decided not to do that as they will attract wild ducks & geese - and waterfowl can carry the bird flu without showing symptoms. So we gave them away when we moved.

We used to free range our chickens, turkeys, guineaus, ducks & geese before we moved - but we got away from that when we started incubating the eggs & selling chicks. We've emptied down to certain types of chickens & turkeys, plus added quail & pheasants. Each breed & type of bird is kept in its own "hoop house". The hoop house is also designed that it can be covered with tarps for protection from weather &/or wild bird droppings. Eggs for the incubator are separated out according to type on trays. Extra roosters are in a separate hoop house to be fattened up for canning & freezing. Our birds are protected from wild birds (and predators) with their hoop houses, but still can "free range" to an extent inside the hoops.

When we built the pond, we had it in mind for maybe putting our ducks & geese on and/or maybe even for swimming in later on. Now, I'm not sure it's even wise to swim in lakes, ponds, or streams where birds are doing their business. I guess the pond will still be good for emergency livestock water if it becomes necessary later on. and it's pretty to look at.

Archived