MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Records from Spanish Flu of 1918

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Here is a link that has archived photographs and documents that are located in various archives across the US that chronicle how the Spanish Flu of 1918 effected different areas of the country...it makes for an interesting read.

1918 Spanish Flu Archives

Guest Guest

"Nurses were scarce, as their proximity to and interaction with the disease increased the risk of death."

"Mass transit systems, with crowds of people in close quarters, were fertile venues for the spread of disease. In Seattle, public health officials required passengers and employees wear masks as a precautionary measure."

Interesting reads here...

Thanks, Boss...

Fascinating! Thanks for the link!

I thought it was interesting to read the Dr.'s letter about how people would begin to feel better and start to get up and move around more and then get developing pneumonia or something else and then die. Something to think about! He also mentioned that some he believed died after eating solid food instead of staying on a liquid diet. He stated "The medication of the Indian was a matter of second consideration to the maintenance of rest, regimen and diet."

Excellent read!

Guest Guest

Very interesting..thanks! My grandmother and grandfather's first families died from the flu of 1918. My GM's husband, and four of her five children died from it. My GF's wife died. Then they met two years later and married. And this was in a rural area where they didn't have contact with that many people. Just goes to show you how contagious and dangerous new strains can be.

Kaye

Guest Guest

Kaye, look at my post in here on the delta 32 mutative gene... (Ever heard of "delta 32"??).

You may be one of the lucky ones who could be covered by *their* genetic protecton, due to them both surviving the 1918 flu from close range of contact.

I wrote to the show's producers and asked if anyone was going to do a follow-up considering whether the delta 32 gene *might* also protect against the Bird Flu. They said not yet, but they would pass my comments on to those people. (*IF*, ya know.

Archived