MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

vaccines creating resistance

goatherder

I find it interesting that when people try to develop means of fighting microorganisms, the microorganisms adapt and come back stronger than ever.

Earthtimes.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bird Flu virus in a new strain discovered in China

Posted on : 2006-10-31 | Author : Zipporah Koganowich

News Category : Health

A new strain of the bird flu virus capable of infecting poultry and humans has been unearthed in China. The scientists dread that this strain may have evolved as a result of vaccination programs devised to protect poultry from the earlier strains.

The earlier H5N1 strain of bird flu virus is known to have infected poultry and also humans in many countries of South East Asia, taking at least 150 peoples lives.

This discovery of a new strain is reported in the October 31, 2006 issue of Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The grim discovery was made by Yi Guan from the University of Hong Kong and other researchers. The scientists involved in the study reported that the new strain has already spread to Hong Kong, Laos, Malaysia and Thailand. The new strain has been named as H591 Fujian – like, to differentiate it from the earlier reported variant strains from Hong Kong and Vietnam.

This alarming discovery has led to world wide concern among the scientific community regarding developing further vaccines for the virus as this shows that the virus is constantly mutating and evolving. The irony is, at the same time this discovery increases the need to find a curative vaccine as quickly as possible to stop the situation from reaching pandemic levels.

Dr. Robert Webster of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn, who co-authored the report, said, “We don't know what is driving this. But new vaccines will have to be developed.”

The world wide co-coordinator of United Nation's efforts against avian influenza, Dr. David Nabarro said, “The new data are a reminder that H5N1 is constantly evolving. I don't think it's a sign that we're getting any closer to pandemic flu. Frankly, I don't know how we're going to know when pandemic flu gets close. We're just going to get hit by it”.

The discovery has fuelled the concern of Public Health Authorities about the bird flu virus mutating into a strain which may be able to transmit itself easily among humans, as this may generate a pandemic similar to the one that was caused in 1918, which consumed millions of lives.

Print Source :

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/10021.html

© 2006 earthtimes.org. All Rights Reserved.

• 1 month later...

We don't do the vaccine schedule that is "recommended" by the docs. Nothing until the kids are two and then the vaccines they do get we look up the company that created them and read the ingredients and testing. No Thimerosal or anything mercury based. The flu vaccine is out of the question. We keep bottles of hand sanitizer in both cars, one in the bathroom and one in my purse. So far (thank you God) no one has gotten the flu and DH works with people that have it (they should stay home). I worry about things the government pushes so hard.

Archived