MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Military Pay

I got this in an e-mail this evening and just had to put it in here. With the service people being shipped out and all, I thought that people need to read this.

MILITARY PAY

I found this Airman's response to the Washington Times . It should be printed in all newspapers across America , especially now when the President is calling up more Reserves and National Guardsman. Get this response out to

everyone you know. It's time the Jane Fonda's & Shaun Penn's of this country

wise up and support the troops that defend them.

Noel Pritzl

1st Vice President USDR

Military pay article

On 12 Nov, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming servicemembers' way this year -- citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.

A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this!

"Ms Williams:

I just had the pleasure of reading your column, "Our GIs earn enough" and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I'm wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS

(The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest leave and earnings statement

(LES), I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through Windows' Calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.

I work in the Air Force Network Control Center (AFNCC), where I am part of the team responsible for the administration of a 5,000-host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year, nor does it pay less than this. No, this job is being offered at

$70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I'm sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Also, you tout increases to Basic Allowance for Housing and Basic Allowance for Subsistence (housing and food allowances, respectively) as being a further boon to an already overcompensated force. Again, I'm curious as to

where this money has gone, as BAH and BAS were both slashed 15% in the Hill AFB area effective in January 00.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you have NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for

attempting to get the families in the military's lowest pay brackets off AFDC, WIC, and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN, I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it

will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full "deployment experience."

As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they'll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone -- obviously they've been squandering the vast piles of cash the DOD has been giving them.

Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.

And when you're actually over there, sitting in a DFP (Defensive Fire Position, the modern-day foxhole), shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren't enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.

Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won't nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your op-ed piece.

But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it. You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe.

We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can't offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?

Rubbish!

A1C Michael Bragg, Hill AFB AFNCC"

IF YOU AGREE, PLEASE PASS THIS ALONG TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE AND SHOW OUR SUPPORT OF THE AMERICAN FIGHTING MEN AND WOMEN. THANK YOU.

THIS LETTER SHOULD BE APPLAUDED BY ANYONE WHO'S EVER SERVED OR HAD A FAMILY MEMBER SERVE IN THE ARMED FORCES! THIS YOUNG MAN DESERVES A MEDAL!

I can speak from personal experience that the lower ranks are VERY underpaid. Anyone under the rank of Sergeant usually can't even sign up for base housing and must pay for a home off base. It is not quite as bad for the single enlisted personnel since they can live in barracks but it is still a low paying job. We owe these people alot. Even in peace time it can be a very hard way of life.

What a sad, sad, situation...What if some of them decided to just quit? I know it's not like that, but I agree. We should pay them as if they were protecting our lives...because they are!

I believe the Servicemen and women don't get enough pay and never have. I plan on sending a scathing letter to Ms. Williams for her insulting comments to those men and women who protect our country and ours and her safety for a mear pittance!

Ggggrrrrrrrrrr........not to mention how difficult it is for military personnel to own a home due to frequent Permanent Change of Station, and what Uncle Sam pays for the move, it never covers all the costs, or replaces items lost or broken in each move. It's difficult to move a family frequently, and kids have to change schools at critical points in their development. It's kids hardly knowing the active duty parent, etc, etc, etc............and if that's NOT ENOUGH, digest this. Many of our lower rank soldiers who daily risk their lives for our freedom and safety, QUALIFY FOR FOOD STAMPS!

It's high time we had a President who gave the military a decent raise, and in my opinion, it should have been more.

I've been there, as a highly ranked Officer's daughter, and as a low ranked soldier's wife. The military was a good life as far as I'm concerned, but it was certainly not an easy one for my father, first husband, or our family. I still have the honor of visiting Military Bases as the guest of my Mother, and I always feel like I'm going "home" when we pass through those gates. Has anyone ever had the spectacular opportunity of watching the fighter jets practice at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas? You would drop your jaw in wonder.

SHAME, SHAME SHAME ON Ms. Williams, and BRAVO to the Airman (from our home base, HAFB) who wrote such a great letter.

madoooohhhh!!!! people like MS Williams!!!!! mad just get...get... get...

But Thank God for people like those who serve this country so we may have that kind of freedom to belittle those that are willing to give that privilege (even die for) for us to enjoy.

May the Lord look upon our service boys and gals. For I for one am truly thankful to have them and to be here. And belivie they are worthy of the pay for them and their family.

I hopw this ...this ... person has the decenty to kneel down and give thanks for her freedom to talk that ..... shocked enough said from mouth here

You know, I've seen enough of these things in e-mails that I decided to go to "Google" and see if I could find anything about it.

Guess what... Ms. Williams of "Laverne & Shirley" was NOT the writer. Please look at this...

http://www.truthminers.com/truth/cindy_williams.htm

http://www.snopes.com/military/gipay.htm

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/cindywilliams.htm

Please don't feel bad about posting about it.

I think it's *much* better to bring it out in the open & find out the truth than keep sending it on without ever questioning.

GREAT responses, by the way. I'm proud to call you my friends.

Thank you Cat for posting this. I had no idea, as I had gotten it in an e-mail and felt it should be posted.

But, I do know that the military do not get near enough pay. I have seen in the news at different times where some of them were lining up to get food stamps, etc. For what they do, they get very low pay.

I am sure there are people out there who think they are doing just fine, but if they were given the chance to live on what the military people are paid, they would have a fit.

Again, Cat, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

When I lived in Germany with my first husband, as a bride of 18, I will never forget the very young single soldiers, male and female, who were so very homesick on holidays. We didn't have much money, but we invited 15 soldiers to our home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The soldiers pitched in to buy the turkey and wine, and I cooked all day long. We all had such a great time, and the soldiers were so glad that they didn't have to spend the holiday in the Mess Hall and barracks. After dinner, they all pitched in and cleaned up the dishes for me. Those are some of the most priceless memories that I'm grateful for.

Funny, how the military personnel are not appreciated in times of peace, but there is alot of flag waving when we go to war. It would be nice to remember what a tremendous contribution that military personnel make, daily, to the quality of our lives, both in peacetime, and in war. It is because of their loyalty, and protection of our country, that we do enjoy times of peace.

OK, this topic is dear to my heart, but I'll step off my soapbox now.

You are so right, Mare.

Our men and women stand as guardians in many parts of the world, guardians not only for us, but for a great many other peoples of the world.