MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Keiser Roll Recipe

This is one of the recipes my Cousins have used for generations at their bakery. On Sundays after church we always go and get a dozen rolls and some Italian Bread to have with our meals. I love the smell of the bread and rolls baking especially when I make them. The house has a nice comfy smell to it.

The Recipe

3/4 cup milk

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

5 teaspoons active dry yeast

5 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup margarine, melted

Directions

1 In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm milk, water, sugar and salt. Remove from heat, and mix in the eggs and yeast.

2 Measure flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the flour, and pour milk mixture into it. Do not stir. Cover with a lid, and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.

3 Pour melted margarine into flour, and mix well. Add more flour if too sticky. Knead lightly. Cover, and let rise for 20 to 30 minutes.

4 Shape the dough into rolls, and place on a baking sheet. Let rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.

5 Bake rolls in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes, or until done.

I put poppy and sesame seeds on the tops of my rolls before I bake them.

Keiser means that its a crusty roll with a soft center Lowie when referring to the term Keiser in baking. I love rolls that have the hard crust on the outside. I asked my cousin at the bakery why the bakery rolls of today are soft on the outside and he said prerservatives which make the rolls last longer on store shelves are used in their baking today.

Lowie you haven't had a good hard roll until you have gone to an old fashioned bakery that bakes its bread and rolls in brick ovens. The best way to eat one ( and you just can't eat one) is to get it right from the brick bakery oven all hot and fresh and break it open with your hands and smother the inside with homemade sweetcreme butter and eat it while the roll is still hot. I know people tell you not to eat hot rolls or bread but I have been doing it all these years and it never hurt me.

At the farm shop we use, where I buy the milk and cream, they sell very good organic breads baked in a wood-fired brick oven, and they are wonderful - herb, wholemeal, ryw, etc. I buy them occasionally.

Building a brick oven in the garden is one of the projects I have in mind for this summmer - but don't tell Julian yet!! We eat hot bread straight from the oven and it doesn't do us any harm - what's it meant to do to you?!!

• 1 month later...

The purpose of cooling rolls before eating is because they crush so easily, I think. They are so soft that it is difficult to cut them without mashing them.

So I just tear them they still mash down but who cares?