MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

10 vegan recipes without tomatoes

1. Broco Beans

Ingredients:

1 large onion

3 cloves garlic

3/4 lb mushrooms (I used a mix of oyster and normal)

1 teaspoon vecon (vegetable stock)

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 teaspoon sage

2 medium leeks

1/4 cup soya milk or tofu

1 lb cooked kidney beans

1 lb broccoli

Directions:

Fry the onion and the garlic in some water until tender. Add the mushrooms, the vegetable stock, the salt, pepper and sage. Leave simmering until the mushrooms have reduced.

In a blender combine the chopped broccoli stalks, the kidney beans, the chopped leeks, and the soya milk or tofu. Blend until smooth, adding water if needed.

Add the blended mixture to the mushrooms. Add the broccoli florets and any additional water needed to give a creamy consistency. Simmer till the florets have softened.

Serve over pasta twirls. On this occasion I used Orgran's

Susan's Carrot Roast

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups grated raw carrots

1 cup cooked brown rice

1-1/2 cups 100% natural peanut butter

1 cup milk substitute

2 egg substitutes (must stick like eggs to hold roast together)

1 chopped onion

dash of sage

dash of salt

Directions:

This is a recipe which my mom, Susan, made while I was growing up.

Mix ingredients together and pour into oiled 8X8 pan.

Bake at 325 degrees one hour.

Serves: 6-8

Preparation time: 1 hour 15 minutes

3. Vegetable-Seitan Pot Pie

Ingredients:

two 9" pie crusts (one for the top, one for the bottom)

1 tablespoon margarine

1 small onion, chopped

3 ribs celery, chopped

2 carrots, peeled and sliced

1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed

1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed

1 8-ounce package seitan , cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1 envelope vegetarian brown gravy mix

1/2 teaspoon rosemary, ground in a mortar and pestle

Directions:

(1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

(2) Press one of the pie crusts into a pie pan, flute the edges, poke holes in the bottom and pre-bake for about 10 minutes.

(3) Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. (If you decide to use oil instead of margarine, sprinkle the vegetables with a pinch of salt while they are cooking.) Add the peas, corn and seitan, stir and remove from the heat.

(4) As the vegetables are cooking, prepare the gravy as directed on the package, and add the rosemary. (You might be able to find gravy that already has rosemary in it, which is ideal. You'd obviously not need to add any rosemary to that.)

(5) When the gravy is done, pour it over the vegetables and seitan. Pour this mixture into the pie crust. Place the other pie crust atop the pie, cut off any crust that hangs over the edge and press the edge into the edge of the bottom crust. Cut vents in the top crust and bake for 30 minutes, or until the top crust is browned (or until the gravy starts to bubble up).

Serves: 6

Preparation time: 1 hour

4. Portobello Wellington

Ingredients:

1 1/2 Tbsp soy margarine (or light oil if you prefer for sauteing)

1 shallot, minced

1 large leek or 2 small leeks, minced

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 button mushrooms, finely chopped

fresh thyme to taste (I used about 4 sprigs)

5 shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped, without stems*

chives and

2 large portobello mushroom caps

1 tsp Dijon mustard

1 sheet vegan puff pastry

Directions:

Topping: Melt 1 Tbsp soy margarine in a skillet over low heat. Stir in the shallot, leek, and garlic and cook until translucent (about 5 minutes). Add the button mushrooms and about half the thyme. Cook until the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mixture is just moist (about 10 minutes). Transfer mixture to a bowl. Melt the remaining margarine in the skillet, still over low heat, and add the shittakes. Cook for 5 minutes, then transfer to the bowl with the rest of the mixture. Add chives and black pepper and stir.

Next place your Portobello caps on a greased cookie sheet. Brush on the mustard and add the remaining thyme and black pepper. Take your topping mixture and spoon half onto each Portobello cap. Cut two large rounds out of the puff pastry sheet and drape over the Portobellos/topping. You can brush some melted soy margarine on the outside of the pastry if you want to. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 degrees until the pastry looks done (about 15 minutes in my oven).

This dish takes a while to make with all the chopping and sauteeing, but the result is an elegant main dish perfect for a special occasion (for example this would be good to celebrate an anniversary). I serve it with a side of basil green beans and a nice wine.

*Note: I use the woody shiitake stems and/or portobello stems when making veggie broth.

Serves: 2

Preparation time: about 1 hour

5. Fake Fried Fish

Ingredients:

regular soft or firm tofu

soy sauce

nori sheets (seaweed)

Tempura batter mix

oil for deep frying

Directions:

During Lent Friday fish frys are big, and as a part vegetarian I don't want to miss out. So I came up with this recipe. It is based on the memory of an appetizer served me once at a wonderful macrobiotic restaurant, called the Cauldron, that once existed on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Cut up the tofu into rectangular chunks of any size desired. I like to use soft tofu because it's never as soft as they advertise and anyway it's slightly gelatinous quality makes a perfect, delicate fish substitute. But you can use firm if you prefer. Blot dry and dab one side with soy sauce.

With a scissors cut the toasted nori into appropriate sizes to match the chunks and have ready (but don't place on the tofu yet or the nori gets too soggy and will threaten to slip off while frying).

Heat the cooking oil to deep frying temp.

Mix tempura batter with cold water as directed on package (or to your liking - thinner is lighter). Adhere the nori pieces, like postage stamps, on to the lightly marinated sides of the tofu chunks (I usually do about 3 or 4 at a time, depending on their size) and dip in tempura batter.

Fry until you think they're done (they should puff a little and rise; if they're golden brown, they're overdone).

I like to make a simple dipping sauce to accompany the "fried fish". Just blend a little soy sauce with lemon juice and water (you can also add a bit of toasted sesame oil for some extra flavor).

This is a great snack or main dish and fairly easy. I love the combination of textures, soft and crispy. And the seaweed not only mimics the fish flavor, but the look of fried fish as well.

They are best piping hot fresh, of course, but they can be reheated in an oven.

6. Mock Peking Duck

Ingredients:

280g firm tofu

2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

3 tbsp plum sauce

12 Peking duck-style pancakes

vegetable oil, for deep frying

6 tbsp hoisin sauce (Chinese BBQ sauce)

3 spring onions, shredded

¼ small cucumber, cut into matchsticks

Directions:

Sandwich the tofu between two chopping boards and weigh down. Leave to stand for 15 minutes to press out any excess moisture. Cut the pressed tofu onto very thin strips. Mix the Chinese five-spice powder and plum sauce together in a shallow dish and set aside.

Steam the pancakes for 5 minutes, in a sieve lined with greaseproof paper. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan until a piece of bread turns golden brown in 60 seconds. Deep-fry the tofu, in batches, for 1-2 minutes until crisp and golden. Toss immediately with plum sauce mixture.

To serve, spread a spoonful of hoisin sauce on a pancake. Scatter over some tofu, spring onion and cucumber. Roll up and eat immediately with your fingers.

7. Peanut Butter & Banana Spread

Ingredients:

1 very ripe banana

About a sandwich's worth of peanut butter (:

Optional: Raisins never hurt anybody

Directions:

All of the different methods of creating peanut butter and banana sandwiches gave me an idea one bored afternoon. I plopped a heaping spoonful of peanut butter into a small skillet over a low flame, and let it melt a bit. Meanwhile, I mashed up my banana, ate a small bit of it (couldn't resist..) and tossed it in w/ my melty peanut butter. Let it all warm up and get melty for about 5 minutes and you have a very thick and tasty spread. Throw it on your favorite bread (I toasted mine) and devour.

Serves: 1

Preparation time: 5 minutes

8. Portabella Mushroom French Dips

Ingredients:

2 large portabello mushroom caps slices thinly

1 box Lipton's Mushroom and Onion Soup mix (2 packets)

7 cups water

1/2 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos

1/4 red wine vinegar

6 cloves garlic (peeled, 5 minced, one sliced)

1 medium red onion sliced into thin rings

4 Tbsp soy margerine

2 Tbsp olive oil

dash of sea salt

1 baguette, preferably covered with poppyseeds, anise, and sesame seeds

Directions:

In a large stewing pot combine the 7 cups water and the 2 packets of soup mix. Set on high to bring to a boil. Add the Liquid Aminos, red wine vinegar and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Add the mushrooms slowly and allow to simmer on medium high, stiring frequently.

In a skillet add one tablespoon margerine, onion rings, remaining garlic, and dash of sea salt. Bring to temperature at medium-high and saute until carmely brown. While they are cooking, slice the baguette in half horizontally, and then vetically on a diagonal to achieve the sandwhich size you desire.

At this point check the mushrooms in the simmer pot. If they are soft and pliable reduce heat. If not, continue simmering. Once mushrooms reach desired consistency, strain them from the broth. (I use a large tea strainer for this purpose, but use what you have.

Place the mushrooms into the skillet with the onions and let rest over medium high to lightly brown the mushrooms. While this is happening spread the remaining margerine over the bread pieces, following with a rub from the peeled and lightly smashed garlic clove.

When lightly browned, remove the mushroom and onion mixture from the skillet to a plate or bowl. You then have a choice: You can broil the bread in the oven or skillet fry it to the desire toastiness. While this is happening, pour the broth into small bowls and place on plates. (This will allow the broth to cool to a palatable temperature.)

When the bread is completed, spread as much of the mushroom mixture over the bottom piece of bread as you can. Immediately place the top piece on the sandwhich (otherwise it might all fall off!).

A salad would be a great side dish for this entre! (Soup is likely not a good idea, with the Au Jus and all!)

Serves 2 for a hearty dinner or 4 for a light lunch.

Serves: 2-4

Preparation time: 30 minutes

9. Veggie Stew with Dumplings

Ingredients:

2 tsp. vegetable stock concentrate

1 cup boiling water

1 tsp. Herbs de Provence*

1 tsp. Oregano

Blend above and set aside.

2 tbsp. olive oil

1 cup turnip, peeled and diced

1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped

1 cup chopped onion

1 cup diced carrot

1/2 cup sliced celery

1 clove garlic, minced

2 bay leaves

1/2 tsp. rosemary, and basil

2 cups water

5 tsp. tamari

2-3 potatoes, peeled and chopped

1 cup frozen peas

2 tbsp. cornstarch + 2 tbsp. water

Directions:

Sauté turnip, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, rosemary, basil, garlic and parsley in oil for 8 minutes.

Add water, broth mixture, tamari and potatoes. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Add peas, continue cooking another few minutes.

Remove bay leaves. Combine cornstarch and water, add to stew, and stir until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Dumplings

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 cup chopped parsley (or dried herbs)

1/2 cup soy milk

2 tbsp. vegetable oil

Sift dry ingredients together then add parsley.

Mix milk with oil and add to dry ingredients (just stir until moistened).

Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls onto stew.

Cover and cook for 15 minutes (Do NOT lift the lid!)

*"Herbs de Provence is a French herb blend of rosemary, thyme, marjoram, summer savory, basil, sage & tarragon. Of course you can always just add these individually if your grocery store doesn't carry it. : )"

"I should have warned you guys that it (this recipe) has a lot of ingredients and looks lengthy. But I swear it a snap to make!"

10. Lentil "Wedding" Soup

Ingredients:

8 cubes of Herbox vegetable boullion

8 cups water

2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces

1 small onion, cut into small pieces

1/2 cup of carrots, cut

1 cup of mushrooms with each mushroom cut in half

1 large clove garlic, diced

However much fresh spinach you like (more is better)

2 teaspoons sage

2 teaspoons olive oil

1 pound of acine de pipi or any pasta that can be used in soup

1 cup cooked lentils

Directions:

In a large pot, put the 8 boullion cubes in 8 cups of water. Bring water to a boil so that the boullion cubes dissolve. Then reduce heat to simmer. Add fresh spinach leaves, sliced, to the broth. Add pepper (preferably coarsely ground pepper) to the broth to taste.

In another pan, add oil, onion, celery, carrot, mushroom, garlic, and sage. Saute vegetables until onion is translucent. Add a little water (too little to measure) to the vegetables, and then add the mixture to the broth.

Add lentils to the broth. Cook the pasta, and then add the pasta to the broth. Let simmer for 20 minutes or so. The longer the soup simmers and sits, the more flavor the broth gets.

Serves: 9 bowls