MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

jalapeños

What's the best way to preserve jalapeños? Our garden is just rolling in them, and there's way more than what I can make into salsa (I'm out of tomatoes). They plants made wayyy more than we expected. Salsa and fried jalapeños are the only things I know to do, and my husband is the only one who eats them, so there's no way he'll go through all of them before they go bad.

Ice Cream! I love it! LOL He'd get a good laugh out of that one!

I didn't know you can make jelly out of jalapenos. I'll likely dry the current batch, since I already have my dehydrator out to do my herb garden.

Jalapeño Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients:

4 Fresh Jalapeño peppers

Peel of 2 limes

2 tbsp lime juice

¾ cup sugar

1 cup whole milk

2 cups heavy cream

2 tsp. vanilla

¾ cup cocoa powder

Directions:

Parboil jalapeño peppers in boiling water for three minutes. Do not overcook. Place in ice water to cool.

Remove the seeds from the jalapeños and discard. Process the jalapeños, lime peel, lime juice, and chocolate in a blender or food processor until finely chopped. Mix in milk, sugar until smooth. Blend in heavy cream and stir quickly. Pour into ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s directions.

Jalapeño-Apple Sorbet

Servings: 10

Ingredients

3 cups Sugar

3 cups Water

1 Jalapeno ChileJalapeno Chile seeded and diced

5 large Organic ApplesOrganic Apples use Newtown Pippin Apples or Granny Smiths can be substituted

2 Organic LemonOrganic Lemon juice freshly squeezed

Preparation

Combine water and sugar over medium heat to make a simple syrup. Allow to cool completely. Peel and core apples and grate fine in a food processor. Dice jalapeño. Combine simple syrup, grated apples, diced jalapeño and lemon juice in sorbet maker and follow manufacturer’s directions.

Sweet Jalapeno Pickle Relish

# 1 1/2 quarts jalapeno -- finely chopped

# 1 quart cucumber -- finely chopped

# 2 large onion -- finely chopped

# 1/4 cup salt -- + 2 Tbl

# 5 1/4 cups sugar

# 3 cups cider vinegar

# 4 teaspoons pickling spice

Combine jalapenos, cucumbers, onion, and the 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of salt in a large glass or ceramic bowl; cover with cold water & let stand for 2 hours. Drain thoroughly, pressing on the vegetable to remove excess liquid.

Combine the sugar and vinegar in a large pot; tie the pickling spices in cheesecloth and add to the liquid. Bring to a boil & simmer for 15 minutes. Add the vegetables & simmer for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag.

Pack into hot jars & process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Candied jalapenos recipe

Recipe ingredients:

* 3 jalapeno peppers

* 1 cup granulated sugar

* 2 cups water

Recipe method:

* Cut the pepper lengthwise into four strips, cleaning out white pith and seeds.

* Combine the sugar and water.

* Heat to make a simple syrup.

* Cook the jalapeno strips in the simple syrup for a few minutes, then strain the syrup and let the strips cool for a few minutes.

* Repeat the cooking process three or four times, reusing the syrup, or until the strips are nicely candied.

HOT JALAPENO RELISH

2 c. jalapeno peppers

4 c. ripe tomatoes

4 lg. onions

2 c. vinegar

2/3 c. sugar

3 tbsp. salt

1/2 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. mustard seed

Boil vinegar, sugar, salt and spices together. Add chopped peppers, tomatoes and onions. Bring to boil and cook 20 minutes slowly. Put in jars and seal. It's hot but it's good. (Hint: wear rubber gloves while chopping peppers.)

JALAPENO PEPPER RELISH

1 c. hot jalapeno peppers, seeds removed

1 1/2 c. sweet green and red peppers

1 lg. onion

1 1/2 c. white vinegar

6 1/2 c. sugar

1 pkg. Sure Jell

Grind peppers and onion. Add vinegar, sugar, and Sure Jell. Bring to a rolling boil and boil 1 minute. Remove from stove and add 1 (6 oz.) bottle Certo. Makes 12 (1/2) pints.

JALAPENO RELISH

1 gal. fresh jalapeno peppers (shake tightly as possible in jar, then grind not too fine)

5 lg. green bell peppers, grind

5 lg. onions, grind

3 c. vinegar

1 c. sugar

1 tsp. salt

2 (32 oz.) catsup

2 #202 cans tomatoes, mashed

Bring to boil, lower heat, cook until amber color, stirring occasionally. Put into sterilized jars and seal.

JALAPENO RELISH

2-3 lb. jalapeno peppers

1 lg. onions

1 red sweet pepper

1 yellow sweet pepper

1 pt. vinegar

Salt

Bring vinegar to boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt, cut up remaining ingredients very fine. Add to boiling vinegar for 10-15 minutes. Place in clean glass jars.

Green Tomato-Jalapeno Relish

This is great served with fried fish and hush puppies.

5 pounds (10 to 12 medium) green tomatoes

1 pound onions

1 cup chopped fresh jalape�os

2 cups unrefined cider vinegar

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

1/4 cup pickling salt

Prepare 6 (1 pint) canning jars according to manufacturer's directions. Coarsely chop tomatoes, onions and jalape�os in batches in a food processor, and reserve them. Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a stockpot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add vegetables and boil the mixture vigorously for 2 to 3 minutes. Spoon the relish into the prepared jars, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace. Process the jars in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Hot Pepper Relish

12 green bell peppers

12 red bell peppers

12 onions

3 cups white vinegar

1 cup granulated sugar

3 tablespoons salt

1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Chop peppers and onions (this is a good place to use your food processor). Cover with boiling water and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and cook 5 minutes. Pour into clean, hot jars and seal immediately. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

I pickle alot of ours. Do whole or sliced in regular vinegar pickle or I use my bread and butter pickle brine recipe (dbf LOVES the sweet ones on sandwiches).

I stuff some with cream cheese and freeze them. When I take them out of the freezer, we like them wrapped with bacon and baked. Just make sure when you bake them that the side you put the cream cheese in is UP. grin

Archived