MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

112 pounds tomatoes

Percysgirl

I am now the proud owner of 112 pounds of tomatoes- 4 big boxes. They only cost $32.

I figured I'd make a big batch of my own chili recipe and another round of Annie's Salsa and some spaghetti sauce, but that will still probably leave me with 40 or more pounds? That's what I'm guessing.

Anyone have suggestions for what to do with the rest? I've got plenty of canned diced tomatoes and sauce, so I don't need those.

From the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving:

Why order out for pizza when you’ve got this terrific sauce on hand? Spread it over a pre-made crust and add your favorite toppings for a quick, easy supper. Feel free to add more oregano, pepper and garlic powder, but do not change the proportion of tomato purée to lemon juice.

Pizza Sauce

Makes about four pint jars

13 cups fresh plum tomato purée

1/2 cup bottled lemon juice

2 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1. Prepare canner, jars and lids.

2. Place half of the tomato purée in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Maintaining a constant boil, add remaining tomato purée, 1 cup at a time. Stir in lemon juice, oregano, pepper, salt and garlic powder. Boil hard, stirring frequently, until mixture is the consistency of a thin commercial sauce, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.

3. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot sauce. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar, screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.

4. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil and process for 35 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool and store.

Tips: You’ll need about 9 pounds of plum tomatoes to make the tomato purée for this recipe.

To make fresh tomato purée, pass quartered tomatoes through a food mill or Victorio strainer. If you do not have a food mill or Victorio strainer, blanch, peel, core, seed and chop tomatoes. Place in a colander and let stand for 15 minutes. Discard liquid and purée tomatoes in a food processor fitted with a metal blade.

This could be used as a pizza sauce.

From the Ball Blue Book:

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

Yield: about 7 pints

20 pounds tomatoes

1 cup chopped onion

8 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/4 cup freshly minced, fresh basil

Bottled lemon juice

Wash tomatoes, drain. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters; set aside. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Purée tomato mixture using a food processor or food mill. Strain purée to remove seeds and peel. Combine tomato purée and basil in a large saucepot. Cook over medium high heat until volume is reduced by one-half, stirring to prevent sticking. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 35 minutes in a boiling water canner.

It turns out that 3/4 of those 112 pounds aren't quite ripe yet. So I've got a couple of days. I went ahead and picked out the ripe ones today and I'm making the pizza sauce. I'll tackle the chili tomorrow since that doesn't require as many tomatoes, then leave the salsa for Monday. I hope what's left will be ripe by then.

Originally Posted By: PoGo
This could be used as a pizza sauce.

From the Ball Blue Book:

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce
Yield: about 7 pints

20 pounds tomatoes
1 cup chopped onion
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup freshly minced, fresh basil
Bottled lemon juice

Wash tomatoes, drain. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters; set aside. Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes; simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Purée tomato mixture using a food processor or food mill. Strain purée to remove seeds and peel. Combine tomato purée and basil in a large saucepot. Cook over medium high heat until volume is reduced by one-half, stirring to prevent sticking. Add 1 tablespoon bottled lemon juice to each pint. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust two piece caps. Process 35 minutes in a boiling water canner.

If I wanted to do this in quarts, can anyone tell me how long to water bath it?

I guess everyone's too busy on the political threads to answer canning questions?

I pressure canned it for 40 minutes. I looked over several different recipes for tomato products, and picked the longest pressure canning time, just to be on the safe side. I also added lemon juice and salt.

Casey,

Violet is our resident expert, and I have NEVER seen her in the political forums, LOL!

Darlene, our other canning expert, I think only enters the political forum to moderate, holding her nose as she goes!

I do not have an answer for your question. I think there are some things that should not be canned in larger amounts because of density.

I don't have time for politics ! All this canning stuff keeps me too busy for that.

You are correct, things are not safe to can in larger sizes than called for. It is for the density issue.

However, I did look at a canning recipe for tomato sauce that was canned for the 40 min. I would say it is safe, but I would not normally suggest doing this and take a risk next time. Stick with the pints and then you will know it is safe, is my suggestion.

twister I had never seen this, think it is funny !! That poor cow going round and round. I know, it has nothing to do with this post, but just laughed at it !

Originally Posted By: Cricket
Voilet, I am going to make the tomato preserves recipe with the green maters, ginger and sliced lemon.

Can I safely double the recipe?

I think you can double the recipe, Cricket. There's no sure-jell to worry about not jelling.

I am sorry, I did not reply to your message. Forgive me. Normally preserves are not doubled because they don't gel in the same way. Sometimes they set, sometimes they don't. It just depends upon the thickness you want when it is done if you want to take the chance. Normally, I just make single batches, but make up enough to do a couple batches, one after the other when it is a product that needs to gel.

Archived