MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Personal care uses for Apple Cider Vinegar

Dee

Always use apple cider vinegar for personal care. White vinegar is best for cleaning.

Used as a hair rinse, vinegar neutralizes the alkali left by shampoos.

A reader says 'it will give your hair an all out shine!'

Corn and callus remover - soak a piece of stale bread (a cloth would probably do as well) in vinegar, and tape it over the callus or corn overnight.

Age spot fader - Mix equal parts of onion juice and vinegar and use it daily on age spots. This will take a few weeks to work, just like its expensive relative from the store.

Spray your hands with a mist of vinegar, or dip them in vinegar and dry after washing dishes or having them in soapy water to keep your hands soft.

Splash vinegar on your varicose veins. The vinegar is supposed to reduce the veins and relieve the pain and swelling. Of course, you might smell like a tossed salad!

Use it diluted 50/50 as a skin cleanser as most soaps are alkaline as compared to skin ph.

One teaspoon to one tablespoon of vinegar gets rid of hiccups.

It's an ongoing battle as to whether vinegar can help you lose weight, but the ones who say it will, say to drink a glass of water before each meal in which you've added a tablespoon of vinegar and a tablespoon of honey.

Rinse water for face - pour 1/8 cup in rinse water, rinse face and let it air dry (it seals the moisture in the skin) (great for all over especially when weather is dry)

Vinegar restores the natural acid base of your skin, so it's good for skin problems, too. --Pat

Try white vinegar on underarms and other areas of the body as a natural deodorant. Will not stop perspiration (which is not healthy anyway) but will neutralize odor.

Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a quart of drinking water. Helps to deal with heat stress. Also helps to repel mosquitos.

It is also helpful when children get lice, if you take warm vinegar and put it on the hair also take your nit comb and dip it in the vinegar. As you run it through the hair it helps remove the nits. It is supposed to be able to help break down the glue the nits use to stay attached to the hair.

My dad is 77 years old and his skin on his face is just so smooth and soft looking. His secret is he uses vinegar for aftershave. Also if he gets any rashes or pimples he uses vinegar for that as well. He drinks apple cider vinegar, honey and hot water every morning. The vinegar odor goes away very quickly when he uses it for aftershave. He started this when he always broke out in a rash after using the regular aftershaves.

1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in a small tub of water. Soak your head/hair. It gets rid of dandruff completely, as well as all the garbage that accumulates on your hair from shampoos and conditioners. It's absolutely amazing but my husband does complain about the smell...

For cleaning dentures - leave your dentures in vinegar for as long as you would leave them in a denture cleanser - about 15 minutes to half an hour, or longer, if you wish. Then brush them thoroughly. Your dentures will be cleaner and whiter than a proprietary dental cleaner can do it !

Makes a great eyeglass cleaner. Mix white vinegar 1/2 and 1/2 with water. I keep a tiny spray bottle in my purse.

Instead of buying expensive facial products, I mix up my own "toner" using 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar and a few aspirins. The acids in the vinegar force your old skin cells to flake off, much like the store-bought "alpha hydroxy" products. The aspirin is my own anti-acne solution. A lot of acne products use salicylic acid, which is basically aspirin with a few small chemical differences. The aspirin won't dissolve completely, but it doesn't seem to matter. This works especially well against those big, deep acne spots which older people often get. I've been using this twice a day on my face for five years now and people are always amazed when I tell them my real age (44). One caution, though: Be sure to also use a face lotion with at least SPF 15 everyday--even in winter (Oil of Olay knock-offs are fairly cheap)--because the vinegar mixture will make your skin thinner (just like the expensive store-bought ones will) and more susceptible to sun damage. The SPF prevents age spots from forming, and that's worth the money in my book.

I color my own hair and when I go to rinse, I first rinse with warm water then I dilute white vinegar with water for the final rinse. Use water as cold as you can stand. This really seals your color so it doesn't fade out as quickly.

Nail polish will go on smoother, and stay longer if you clean your finger nails with white vinegar before applying nail polish.

If you have hard water put vinegar in your bath water and also rinse your hair with it. It gets out all residue from shampoo and conditioner.

More GREAT tips!~

Hey....do you think the vinegar would work on "real" teeth like it does with dentures.....i mean....i know you can't soak em....but i wonder if you can mix it with say baking soda and brush....hmmmmmmmmmm

Great Reci!