MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Spring preparations

DH got the maple trees tapped on Fri. with sun out all day yesterday we had a good run of sap from our little sugar grove, consists of 8 trees, about 4 1/2 gallon, so today in the beautiful 60 degree weather, we should get another good run, enought to fill our 10 gallon pan for cooking down to about 2 quarts. We hope to get at least 2 gallon for the season.

I've been interested in this since I've been reading the books of Helen and Scott Nearing. What is the species of trees, Lois? Do you know? I wonder if I could do that in England. i know we can tap the sap in birch trees to make into wine, but my trees are a little young for that yet.

No wonder I get no housework done with you lot around!! Will research this today I think. The children would enjoy it too, maybe I'll get them on the net and call it an educational project!!

Interesting fact that I learned from "Stalking the Wild Asparagus" The sap of the birch tree runs even in January (very slowly), which could provide you with pure drinking water in winter. It has a lower sugar content than maple, but when they are in your vicinity you can get pure water by tapping them plus some energy producing calories.

I've got that book too Lois; it's very good isn't it? Birch trees have many uses, including medicinal, as well as all the ancient folklore attached to them.

It is a very good read, I love the way he writes, although his books are meant to be informative they are also very entertaining. His studies and laboratory reports show the value of our natural plants.

He had a very tough childhood that sent him in search of food in the wild or he, his mother and sister would have starved.