MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Tips for the Kitchen

1. My tip is how to cook meat loaf. I use a glass pie dish and laid 2 pieces of bread side by side in the middle. I make the meat loaf the normal way and form a loaf. Place the loaf on top of the bread. Cook at the normal temperature. The bread absorbs all the grease. The meat loaf was less greasy. It was the best meat loaf I ever made.

2. Separate hamburger into zip locks and roll with rolling pin until evenly flat. Takes up less space in freezer and thaws much quicker.

3. A fast way to make bread crumbs is to toast the bread and then stick it in the blender.

4. To make homemade bread have a shiny crust, brush the top with white vinegar a few minutes before removing the bread from the oven.

5. For unexpected guests, a quick way to serve something nice with tea is to quickly zest a lemon or orange into some cream cheese, mix and serve with crackers or toastites. Serve in a nice crock with some fruit garnish. It is simple and elegant.

6. Have a favorite coffee but it costs too much? Buy it and some regular coffee and just add a little bit of your favorite to the regular, it tastes like your favorite and cheaper then just using your favorite alone.

7. Use less sugar and make your tea taste different by dissolving old-fashioned lemon drops, or hard mint candy in your tea.

8. Iced Tea taste bitter? Add a pinch of baking soda to your glass or a teaspoon in your gallon pitcher. Makes it perfect every time!

9. To keep eggs from cracking while boiling, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar to the water before boiling them.

10. Egg whites can be frozen for up to one year. They can be refrozen after defrosting also.

11. To see if a pineapple is ripe, see if you can pull out one of the leaves at the top. The pineapple will also have a golden tone to it.

12. Throw a spoon into boiling pasta and it won't boil over.

13. To have vegetables retain their color, add a lump of sugar, or vinegar, or a tad of lemon juice.

14. To help remove the silk from corn on the cob, get off as much as you can by hand and then use a wet washcloth and stroke downwards to remove the rest of the silk.