MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dinner at Reci's this April 2,03

I have some of my home made spaghetti sauce simmering on the stove since the early am with meatballs, Italian Sausage both hot and mild.

I just got finished making home made pasta and have it hanging.

So on tap for this evening we are having Spaghetti and Meatballs and sausage

With Garlic bread

green beans

and its my turn to bake cookies for the free soup kitchen so thats what I am going to do in a bit and Mr. Reci will have some for dessert!

Price per person per plate- 1.25.

Now you can't get a meal like that in any restaurant!

Guest Guest

Debbilee, the first time I saw anyone make noodles at home, she rolled the dough out on the counter, and cut them with a knife. I was fascinated. and the noodles were wonderful! We were good friends before that, but much better friends after! LOL!

It would be easier if you used a pizza cutter, just cut slowly so they don't get too crooked.

Since my friend taught me how to make them, more than 20 years ago, Iv'e talked my way into two different types of pasta makers; one is an extruder that makes macaroni. Both are hand cranked, so I don't use them often, but I really like them.

There is nothing to compare to the taste of home made pasta and hand cutting still gives a good product. Try it and see for yourself. If you need a good basic recipe, let me know. I have a cookbook just for pasta.

Love,

Nana

Guest Guest

BASIC SEMOLINA PASTA

This basic recipe is for any noodle product, as it contains egg.

1 cup durum semolina*

1 egg

1 Tbs. vegetable or olive oil**

1 Tbs. water, if, and as needed

Kneading dough by hand:

Place the dry ingredients on your kitchen counter and form a 'well' in the center. Add liquid ingredients to the center of the flour and knead the dough together, scraping the flour from the outside into the liquid ingredients. Once the dough has formed a nice smooth ball, continue to knead it by hand for several minutes.

Using a food processor:

Place the ingredients in the work bowl with the steel blade. Process for approx. 1 minute or until the dough starts to come together. Adjust the liquid or flour as necessary to form a round ball of dough. Allow the machine to knead the dough for another 2 or 3 minutes.

Roll the dough into a long thin even sheet on a lightly floured counter top. Cut to desired size. You can cook it immediately or dry and package. Keep in fridge for a day or two, or freeze. It is not necessary to dry pasta before cooking but it is before packaging. Thickness wil determine cooking time. Check every couple of minutes, as fresh pasta cooks much faster than store bought or dried.

*If durum semolina flour is unavailable, you can use bread flour, or even all purpose flour. All purpose flour requires less water than semolina. Start with less and adjust accordingly.

** You don't have to use oil, if you want to cut down on fat. Substitute water in place of the oil. Watch for proper consistency.

Want to eliminate the egg? Try this;

1 cup flour

1/3 cup water.

Same technique, just be sure to add water a little at a time for proper consistency. Hope you like it! Let me know, okay?

Love,

Nana