MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tornado Season- Do you have them in your area?

Guest Guest

Tornado's are no fun at all. A friend of ours lost his house, cars, barns everything and was very lucky his daughter and hisself made it out OK. We have had them go right over our house but luckily didn't come down, but the hail hitting the roof sounded like someone slamming softballs on the house. My neice had her trailer blow away with her in it! She sat in her hallway. It sucked light fixture out the ceiling and plug ins out the walls. Here in Alabama we had a tornado a couple years ago hit in Dec. and wipped out whole neighborhoods. They are VERY scary.

Tornados are extremely rare in Britain but they have hit before. There was one in our village I believe back in about 1976. It went straight across the east end of the village but only removed one thatched roof (completely) on its way; so i think it can't have been very strong. We occasionally see waterspout type things over the sea on the south coast but these are pretty rare too.

There are sometimes programmes on the TV about the chasers and the effects of the tornados; I'm just glad we are in the safety of our homes watching and not actually out there. I can't imagine how terrifying it can be and I certainly wouldn't want to go chasing them or be near them in any way by choice!

We have been very fortunate where we are. They have hit North, South, East and West of us.

A few years ago, in October, there was one hit about 14 miles South of us. A farmer lost his barn, a model house was moved about 100 feet from where it had been setting. They are very distructive. Even very strong streight winds can be distructive.

I have watched the movie, 'Twister', and that is as close as I want to come to a tornado.

I have been through several tornados in Illinois and I don't want to do that ever again. I went there to visit my brother in august of 1990.... an F5 hit the town and several other towns with the fury of hell.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=15755 The article and pictures here arent pretty. I lost close friends in this horrible act of mother nature. No Reci, you dont want to chase one of these monsters.... they're killers in disguise. T.

when we lived in Texas we got cought in a couple of them . the one time my DH and i where on our way home and one came along without any notice scared the day lights out of me. My DH pulled the car over and told me to get down in the back seat. and parked the car in a ditch. We where just plain ole blessed to have gotten out of that one. We have watched them foram over our home too. will my DH and DD did i sat in the closet waiting for them to leave. there was two of them foraming one went one way and the other went the other way. Have seen a few here in Michigan but nothing like we did down in Texas. No, they are no fun, and scary too.