MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Foodsavering in Jars

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Has anyone foodsavered in jars? I just love this method, and recently found half gallon Ball jars at the local grocery, so I spent the day foodsavering dried beans. Tomorrow I'll start on rice.

Has anyone tried marshmallows? I used a half-pint jar and foodsavered some marshmallows and am not exactly sure how to go about testing them --and when. These are something my husband loves in his hot chocolate every morning, so if I could preserve an emergency backup, it'd be awesome. I figure at worst they would end up like the hard little marshmallow pellets in Lucky Charms cereal.

I started out using gallon jars until I could save up for a foodsaver. Then I uses 1/2 gallon jars and a few quart jars. It works great until I get a jar that won't seal no matter how long the machine runs, then I have more jars to wash. :( I havn't tried the marshmellows.

LindaLou, foodsaver makes two jar sealers that fit regular and wide mouth jars so they can be used to store food in.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Category.aspx?id=...ch=jar%20sealer

:wormie2:

John

I use jars for dry-storage all the time, specifically using the mayonnaise and other glass jars that the canning flat lids will fit.

Older FoodSaver units sometimes don't have enough suction to create a good seal, especially with the regular lid size, and I learned if you stack "two" lids when you seal it helps create a good seal for some reason.

I also love storing bulky dry goods in the square Claussen Refrigerator Pickle containers. They store and stack much better than round jars. For long storage just toss in a Oxygen Absorber.

• 2 weeks later...

I do this with my dehydrated foods. Also rice and dried beans too. I put chocolate chips in there and other candies. The options are endless!!!

I'm not sure about marshmallows but it sure makes peeps do weird things!! lol!!

I did marshmallows in foodsaver bags- not a good idea because they were crushed by the collapsing bag. They tasted fine but were a big clump. In the jar, the might retain their shape.

So far so good on the jars, but it's only been just over 2 weeks. These are the smaller marshmallows and they're a bit disfigured, but still soft. They've got a long way to go for testing though.

I was so sick this week that I couldn't go down to the dry pack cannery, and that was the highlight of my entire month. So I'll have to be thrilled with packing oddities into my half gallon jars.

Archived