MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I don't know how many of you, if any, make beer, but here is my easy recipe if you are interested:

1 lb malt extract

1 lb white sugar

1/2 teaspoons salt

1 oz dried hops

1 gallon water.

Boil up hops in water and simmer for 30 minutes. Meanwhile put sugar, malt extract and salt into large plastic bucket. Strain out hops when ready, stir into sugar etc until dissolved. Set one tablespoon of yeast with a teaspoon of sugar and some warm water. When frothy, stir into liquid in bucket when the liquid reaches blood temperature. Cover and leave five days. Add 2 ounces more of sugar, siphon off and bottle. Leave at least two weeks before drinking, but it is much better if left longer.

I made five gallons which is fizzing away nicely by the Rayburn. The kitchen smells like a brewery!

The spent hops are a useful addition to the compost heap as well.

HEY LOWIE! There you are! I was wondering where you were....We don't drink but I am going to make some of this and feed it to my lawn. I hear the grass grows in very green and lush ( lol what a word) so I am going to try it.

• 2 weeks later...