MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Looks and sounds like a lot of activity @Necie.  Have fun with all the family!

I think It is smart to can your chicken and take it over to the new home @Jeepers!

Going to walk in a little bit.
Will dehydrate sweet potato slices in the oven for dogs.
Put away canned corn from yesterday.  22 pints done.
Have two other chores, but not sure either will get done today. (Fill out passport app and prune roses back and fertilize.)

• Like 3

Does a passport photo cost $12.50 at all of the pharmacies with photo centers there too?  Or are you going to take your own?

I keep hounding all my friends and families to get passports.  It's $35, and it's an investment in flexibility.  When you need it, you might need it right NOW, and it takes several weeks to get one.

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I need to get some passports.  It is a very good thought.  Husband has a passport, but it is government issue and, supposedly, he cannot use it for personal travel.  We have not tested this, nor do I intend to.  

Also, I am purging baby stuff at the moment.  @Littlesister if you need anything for the grandbaby let me know.  I have pretty much everything from 4T down including swings, playpens, etc.  We have all the 'extra' things b/c husband is who he is.   I'm going to just randomly donate it otherwise.  My kid is tall and big of feet for her age so we are way ahead of most people.  I'm not surprised b/c husband is 6' and maternal grandfather was 6'5 with 12 siblings (same parents ...yes from Alabama) shortest was Sue who was 6'2.  He married my grandmother who was 5' nothing.  So... I'm a measly 5'4.  My 16DD is taller than me.  The two older ones are shorter, but I believe the two younger ones will be taller.

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 5
On 7/18/2024 at 10:14 AM, euphrasyne said:

I  have swings, strollers, 2 carseats, cribs, playpens, the list goes on and on and on and on.    (And if you cannot read that last bit without singing Journey, you are my people.)

@euphrasyne There is a service that allows you to rent out baby supplies for a fee. It is called BabyQuip.com

I no longer have any baby items but was considering picking up a few things at yard sales (in the future). I thought that it might be a nice money-making venture when we buy our next place. 

• Like 5

Our passports expire in 2025. We have the books and the cards. We had our photos taken at the local AAA office. The best part is that the photo was a really nice one and I was able to use it for other things. (It doesn't resemble the mug shot on my license!) The passport cards stay in our wallets because we make spur-of-the-moment decisions to pop over the border to Canada for a couple of days or to buy more Smarties candies.  Our next trip is planned and will be in August, when we'll go to Caribana, the Caribbean festival in Toronto. For travel to some countries, it is important to make sure that there is at least 6 months before your passport expires. They worry that a visitor might overstay and not be able to re-enter the US.

http://www.findit4deals.com/bestofcanada/contents/media/l_20843031_lrg_1__1x.jpg

• Like 4

Smarties! Did I read Smarties? 

I buy them 5 pounds at a time. We have America's largest candy store over here, less than 20 minutes from me, and I go there about once a year just to buy Smarties. I get the sour ones. I should make another run while I'm here. 

Oh, and I really should get my passport renewed too. I don't think I'll ever use it again but who knows. The way things are going, I might need it to get into Indiana soon. 

My last minute to-do-before-I-move list keeps growing.

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I buy them 5 pounds at a time. We have America's largest candy store over here, less than 20 minutes from me, and I go there about once a year just to buy Smarties. I get the sour ones. I should make another run while I'm here. 

Not those fruity-type Smarties... In Canada and in Europe, Nestle makes a chocolate candy that is similar to M&Ms. They are called Smarties and are not sold in the US due to the fact that the name would have to be changed (because of the sour American Smarties). Nestle Smarties have all natural colours (British/Canadian spelling) and the shells are harder than M&Ms. Flavor-wise, they remind me of Sixlets.  Speaking of which... Sixlets are also manufactured in Canada, but those are sold in the US.

I can buy them on Amazon, but they are often stale and waaaay overpriced.

Here is far more information about Smarties than anyone ever needs to know!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smarties

Edited by themartianchick
  • Like 5

Well crap, you got me all excited for 'Murican' Smarties. Mouth was watering and everything. :o I suppose I could get them on Amazon. Freshness wouldn't be much of an issue with these. But I can get them up the road. I'm still gonna go stock up locally while I can. 

• Like 4
On 7/17/2024 at 4:46 AM, euphrasyne said:

My fear is that one day we will appear on an episode of Hoarders.  

Yeah....me too!  :sassing: 

But there IS some order.  Without memory lapse, I know where most things are. 

MtRider :shrug:  

• Like 4
On 7/17/2024 at 12:23 PM, Jeepers said:

Hopefully, I can get back on my laptop and get access to some important lists I've made. Things like last minute things I need to do and information about who I need to contact to either discontinue service or change of address. I have all of that listed in the computer that I haven't been able to get on. Also a list of everything I want to tell a realtor. 

Jeepers, can you run over to a library - use their hook up and print out your lists and data.  DH does that all the time cuz we don't use a printer often enough and arid climate dries up the ink in printers.  Not. Worth.  It! 

MtRider  ....gotta have your LISTS!!!

• Like 4

I looked up in the attic. It is still sweltering up there. It is packed. Sigh. To the gills. I had no idea but I didn't think it was that bad. I really couldn't see what all it entailed because the only light is a pull string affair. The string is missing. I suppose I'm going to have to go buy a lantern of some sort for some light. :sigh:

The steps are very narrow. Only a few inches wide. Doable the first 2/3. But the last 1/3 is blocked by the face covering thing. Of course I can't think of what that's called either. The part that hides the steps when they are retracted. Anyway, that is right up against the top third of the steps, making it so only the ball of my foot will fit on those steps. 

I know I have battery lantern. You know where. I just got home from running errands but I guess I'm going to have to go back out and buy another light source. 

I'm going to load the six bags of potting soil in the Jeep and dump it. I'm not messing around donating it or taking it to Indy with me. I'm done thinking about it. 

Only good thing about that attic is that it is only over half of the 2 car garage. That's it. 

• Like 4

Mt. Rider that's a great idea but....when I turn my old computer on, it says that my Microsoft Word has expired so I can't see anything. I didn't even know that was a thing because I bought the computer used about 5 years ago and never had an issue with Word not working. Now all of the sudden...

I got a new computer but it won't let me even set it up without internet. Not even to work off line. I'm sure I had the Geeks install Word but at this point I don't know anything for sure. 

I did download everything from the old computer onto a thumb drive. I just don't have any place to load it in.

I think you can buy a lifetime Word, whatever it's called "install" that will run on two computers. I want that if I can find it. I do sooo much on Word. 

And speaking of Word, mine are failing me today. Sorry. And by computer I actually mean laptop.  

• Like 4

I’m not any more computer savvy but if the library has Word or another compatible word program in one of their computers you might be able to take your thumb drive there and access it.  Conversely, maybe, possibly??  You might be able to get into your email program on the library computer, use your thumb drive for importing the lists to a new email, and be able to send yourself some of those lists…..??  You might even be able to print out the email to yourself.   :shrug:

• Like 5
4 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I need to get some passports.  It is a very good thought.  Husband has a passport, but it is government issue and, supposedly, he cannot use it for personal travel.  We have not tested this, nor do I intend to.  

Also, I am purging baby stuff at the moment.  @Littlesister if you need anything for the grandbaby let me know.  I have pretty much everything from 4T down including swings, playpens, etc.  We have all the 'extra' things b/c husband is who he is.   I'm going to just randomly donate it otherwise.  My kid is tall and big of feet for her age so we are way ahead of most people.  I'm not surprised b/c husband is 6' and maternal grandfather was 6'5 with 12 siblings (same parents ...yes from Alabama) shortest was Sue who was 6'2.  He married my grandmother who was 5' nothing.  So... I'm a measly 5'4.  My 16DD is taller than me.  The two older ones are shorter, but I believe the two younger ones will be taller.

Euphrosyne, I could use some things for the baby and the one on the way. I have a playpen, but no swing. The baby would love that. She is now in a size 12 month. So, anything above that would be great. Newborn will help as well for the new baby if you have anything.  Let me know and I will be very happy to pay you for them. Things have gotten so expensive these days. Have you noticed the eggs. I was going to buy jumbo size from Food Lion, and they were $5.99. Prices on everything is going up again. Makes it hard when you are trying to start a family and she is not working right now. I can come pick them up to make it easier on you. Just let me know. 

• Like 4

DGD came over this morning and she, I and the baby went to breakfast. Then came back and she helped DGS with his test while I played with the baby. When the baby was put down for her nap, she was having nothing to do with sleeping in the playpen. So, I finally just picked her up and sat in the rocking chair with her.  Five minutes later she was out. She can be a little stinker when she wants. But I just sat in the chair with her till she woke up. I wasn't going to disturb her putting her back in the playpen and she wake up. 

After she left to go home, and DGS left for work, I decided to go to the store to get the boson butts and picked up a bunch of frozen veggies, chicken and a couple of roasts. Going to can all of that starting on Monday. Making more baby food and some will be for me. The baby is going through that food fast. So far, she has loved everything I made. I think the Boston butts are her favorite. I want to try her on tuna to see if she likes it. She loves salmon. But DGD can't handle cooking any type of fish right now and she said there was something else she can't handle right now.  Morning sickness sucks. She looks really tired, so I told her to call me if she gets over tired and I will come over and watch the baby so she can get a nap. Don't think she should be trying to do everything and getting herself that tired. 

Jeepers, I have a 2-car garage and mine is the whole garage attic. I did have it emptied at one time and now it is full again. Thank you covid, I'm now covered. 

That board you are talking about is it the board that when you close the attic door that is the door to the attic?  Mine is like what you are describing. Before you start going up there to go through things, check all the nuts and bolts to make sure none of them are loose. I have to do that to mine every once in a while, and just tighten them up and they are ready to go. 

• Like 2

Euphrasyne and Littlesister...I love this place and all the people here. :grouphug:

I think what I'm going to do is take the new computer in to the Geeks and see if they can set it up so I can at least work off line. I don't have house internet here. And my printer/scanner is still in the box because...no computer and no internet. 

I just thought, can you somehow plug in a thumb drive into a phone and download it that way? My drive is bigger than the phones port but there might be an adapter? I would be happy if I could just read my lists and write them out on a piece of paper. 

I thought I was being so smart to get those lists all made up two years ago. Yeah, not so much.  🤓

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

That is a good question Jeepers, I will ask my GS when he gets home from work. He is the computer wizard around here. He fixes my TV's, computer and stuff when I have an issue. Yes, he can be helpful when he wants to. 

• Like 1

Littlesister yeah, that's what it is the door on the ceiling that you see when the stairs are folded up. I never thought to check the nuts and bolts. Sheesh. 

I'm going to do the best I can do up there for now and when I get a realtor, I'll ask her what to do. They probably know people. I just hate to lay out even more money. I feel like I'm eating into all of my profit on this house. 

I have exceeded my bodily limits on the house and especially that garage. But I pushed through. I'm just not sure I can do it in the attic. If I can just find the two typewriters and grannies bowl I'll be happy for now. 

I'll bet your GS will know. I never thought about it until just now. :thumbs:

• Like 3

Littlesister, I meant how you two are helping each other. And how we all help each other on this site.  :wink(2):

And how your GS might be able to help about electronic issues.

• Like 2

Jeepers, we are all here to help out if possible. Just depends on what it is anyone might need help with. If it's something I can't help with I am sure someone else can help and maybe know the answer.  GS will be home around 11:30 tonight so will post what he says tomorrow after DD heads back home. Hopefully he will know the answer.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Euphrasyne and Littlesister...I love this place and all the people here. :grouphug:

I think what I'm going to do is take the new computer in to the Geeks and see if they can set it up so I can at least work off line. I don't have house internet here. And my printer/scanner is still in the box because...no computer and no internet. 

I just thought, can you somehow plug in a thumb drive into a phone and download it that way? My drive is bigger than the phones port but there might be an adapter? I would be happy if I could just read my lists and write them out on a piece of paper. 

I thought I was being so smart to get those lists all made up two years ago. Yeah, not so much.  🤓

Jeepers, my GS said if he can talk to you, he can talk you through it. He said it was too complicated to explain through typing it on here. You can do it, but you need to have Mobil use of an internet to do it. Maybe through a library, or near a doctor's office or something that gives you access to an internet. Which means you need to take your computer and phone with you, and you need a UBS-C something from amazon, or you can use your phone cord that you charge with. If you want to do that, just send me a message. He said he would be glad to help you out. 

• Like 2
On 7/18/2024 at 5:29 PM, Littlesister said:

DGD is coming over tomorrow with the baby to help GS study. Yeah, I jumped all over him because he hasn't picked that book up and studied in almost 3 weeks. I let him know he best be passing that test this time if he wants to live here till they call him in. So, guess he decided to get busy. I am now going to be pushing him harder than ever. 

Maybe he's waiting for a new Commander-in-Chief???   :whistling:  :rolleyes:  :hidingsmile::scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I buy them 5 pounds at a time. We have America's largest candy store over here, less than 20 minutes from me, and I go there about once a year just to buy Smarties.

I keep them on hand for when I have a sugar low. I don't like the flavor/texture of the "approved" glucose tabs (5 gm/tablet). I wonder how many grams of sugar/carbs are in one Smartie??? :D :scratchhead:  :yum3:

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

If those images/filrs are saved to your "Google Drive" you should be able to access them from your phone, and possibly download them to your "Gallery" on it, too. (I think:scratchhead:  )

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Maybe he's waiting for a new Commander-in-Chief???   :whistling:  :rolleyes:  :hidingsmile::scratchhead:

Maybe not too far fetched. One of my cousins daughter waited until Bill Clinton was out of office before she retired from the Air Force because she didn't want his name on her discharge papers hanging on her wall for the rest of her life. True story. 

• Like 3