MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

I used to have yellow jackets too. They were the kind that made their nest in the ground. I saw the holes. I "think" I got rid of then by flooding them out with a garden hose. I remember putting the hose in their hole, then going in the garage and turning the water on for about a half an hour. I know I had to do it more than once. 

Mine were coming in through the fireplace chimney. I would see a lot of dead ones in the insert and sometimes they would escape into the room through the open vents.

I got stung once. It felt like someone held a match against my arm. It hurt! Fortunately, I'm not allergic to them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

While visiting the Wal-Mart parking lot again today, I went in and bought another pot. There's another $30.00 I'll never see again. They didn't have one stainless steel spoon in the store. A couple of wooden ones but they had short handles. I got a S.S. spatula  and it works fine. And a much needed canning funnel for .50 that is really really helpful. :rolleyes:  It's amazing all of the basic things I don't have here.

I came home and canned 12 half pints of salsa. All sealed. I'm canning spaghetti sauce now. It said to water bath it, but I'm pressure canning it so I can stack the jars. If I stacked them to water bath them, the water would barely cover them. And then splash out. My water bath canners are...you-know-where. I like to pressure can anyway. I'm not sure how many I'm getting. I think my canner holds 14 wide mouth pints. I can't really remember. I think it's one less per row because they are wide. Plus 12 more for the next canner load. So, 26 if they all seal. Tomorrow I want to do pizza sauce. With this and the 12 quarts of tomatoes in sauce I have in Indiana, I'll have most of the tomato products I need. Maybe one more canner of spaghetti sauce. I can live on spaghetti. I got all of those pints plus enough for supper tonight. 

I just used Mrs. Wages and huge cans of tomatoes from GFS. I have never been disappointed in their products. I though I would remember how I did it but now I'm not sure. I need to start writing stuff down. Mrs. Wages is pretty spicy. Not hot but herbal spicy. I think I used 3 cans of the fancy tomato sauce with 1 can of fancy tomato dices for the spaghetti sauce. It came out with just a few chunks of tomatoes in each jar. Really nice. One can each for the salsa.

Something is off. I used 3 cans of sauce and 2 cans of diced. Should have written it down. Dang it. The cans are huge 6 pound cans. The diced tomatoes were very nice too. No surprise skins or cores. I can recommend the fancy kind from GFS! 

I just can't wait any longer to get some food canned. We're staring November down soon. If someone else wants to look at the house they will just have to smell spaghetti sauce. Or maybe pizza sauce. I still have some cookie dough left for Plan B.

I'm thinking I might do the strawberries over again. I'm not happy with that red dye I dumped in there. It's pretty but I don't want GS eating it. I'll need to buy more clear gel now. And sugar. And berries.   :sigh:

• Like 5

Jeepers, as soon as I get my house back together hopefully within a week for what I can do on my own. I am going to start canning from the freezers again. I stopped doing it because I got tired of having to clean the kitchen before, I could start canning and by the time I got things cleaned up and everything together for it, I lost interest. This child has opened 3 big bottles of vegetable oil, and every box of crackers he could find to open. Ate a few out of each box and back in the cabinet they went. So, I have a lot of work in that kitchen to do. I don't know if the crackers are now stale or not. But the oil will go bad before I can use that much of it. One bottle will last me a year. Still waiting for the dining room suit to sale. Might have to lower the price but was expecting that to happen anyway. 

• Sad 4

I'm just getting antsy waiting to get some food put up for...who knows what. I don't want to wait any longer. What I can now I can fit in the Jeep for me to take over there. I was hoping to be out of here before the election. One good thing is there will be food at the house for sons if something happens. 

I'm a little concerned about the buckets of food I have too. I have some beans, rice, flour, cornmeal, milk etc. And I wonder if they are buggy. I don't want to open them and break the seal but I'd like to know now rather than later when I might need them. They were frozen in the garage for about a month. I'd like to get small individual bags, freeze them, then store them in buckets instead of a lot of loose food in a bucket. I might have vacuum sealed some rice before the flood but I can't remember. I might have even posted a picture. 

Plus right now I have nothing to do. Haven't said that in awhile. The toughest part is not having any furniture to sit on. It's either upstairs on the twin bed or downstairs on the floor. I have one of those pillow things that has arms that I can lean against but my butt is still on the hard floor. 

My canner held 16 wide mouth pints after all. I just finished the last load and got 28 pints of spaghetti sauce. I'll either do 1 or 2 cases of pizza sauce tomorrow and maybe some quarter pints of Bar-B-Q sauce. Maybe some quarter pints of salsa for one serving for a snack. I have all the stuff here to make it. And I'm on a roll. That's me. All or nothing, so I have to strike while the irons hot. 

They aren't quarter pint jars. They are half pints.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers
Can't Measure
  • Like 6

Wow, Jeepers! you are on a roll!  Too bad about the first big pot.  :(   "Burned Spoon" isn't a good fragrance for house selling, I've heard tho.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Blocking the light helped but I sleep on my sides.  Either.  But I wake up with pain in hip.  I don't have any pain during the day.  Fortunately....thankfully, I flip over to the other side and return to sleep.  But I must have woken up 5 times.  Maybe some of the medication is making me more hyper?  Hmph...this too shall pass. 

Wasn't a real productive day.  Watched church on line.  X2 cuz he has 2 different topics.  DD2 called to tell us about getting GrS2 to his college.  They had a good time and he seemed pleased.  Then I developed a nasty headache.  Hmmm... I haven't had one of those in a really long time, come to think of it.  :amen:  but this one was a doozy.  DH usually doesn't want to adjust me later in the day cuz it can cause issues - like a headache.  But this wasn't going away by usual means.  And it did go away after adjustment.  Yay, for in-house chiro!  Rain again today tho didn't stay long. 

Finished the book I had to read on-line.  The next 4 in the series are all loaded on my Kindle.  NOW I get the story....start from the beginning helps.  :lol: 

MtRider  :offtobed: 

• Like 5

Yesterday, after church, I made Italian rollup pinwheels and then an elderberry pie.  Both turned out great!  Elderberry pie reminds me of my childhood.  The good part.

Walked early and then walked dogs.
Second load of laundry is started.
Going to City Hall to get a portion taken off water bill because of leak.
Will clean out the shelf in pantry with cake mixes and switch out flour container.
Finish laundry.

• Like 6

I am FINALLY home from babysitting the grandson and just in time to storm prep. This thing came up pretty quick and out of nowhere. Everyone here is surprised. It has shifted more east towards us so I have a very busy day ahead. Working on making To-Do List and Grocery List. 

I have been packing up my Mamaw's house when I am able to get up there and moving all of it down here to my garage to sell. Husband brought the last load home and dumped it so you can imagine the mess. Daughter and I got out there and organized everything so we can get to what we need. Was able to pull the generator out from under a pile. When the tornados came through a couple of months ago DH was offshore. Ya'll we have a million flashlights and I couldn't find one and when I did I couldn't find batteries. I had no clue how to hook generator up and could barely pull it out from where he had it placed. I THOUGHT I was prepared...Yeah - NO! I am now. When my DH came home he went and purchased a shelf just for my emergency supplies to put in the garage. Everything I need for hurricanes...storms...whatever is organized on that shelf including cords for generator. My son and daughter's boyfriend gave me a crash-course on how to do the generator so now I know what to do. My Mamaw prepped so we have been dividing her stuff up between my Dad, brother and I. I have every battery imaginable organized along with the flashlights, weather radio and a ton of other stuff.

Luckily they sent DH home from offshore late last night so DD and I will not be riding it out alone. Bad weather doesn't scare me...in fact I love a good storm but I can't take the heat so as long as we can run some fans I am good. Absolutely dread going to the grocery. It's crazy when people expect it but with it catching so many by surprise it's going to be a nuthouse! 

Can't wait to get back and catch up with everyone

• Like 8

Simply- a -snow, you have been busy. praying you don't have real bad storms. 

My DGD is now working at the YMCA and takes the baby with her, so I am not babysitting as much right now. Which I am glad of that for now as I really have a lot to get done. I am at a point I just don't know where to start.  The main bathroom I did start on it by gathering up all the dirty towels and trash from my GS and putting a lot of things away that was spread out everywhere in there. But still need to scrub it down. just wasn't up to that part of it today. 

It was 55* outside during the night and early this morning. So went outside and took down some dead limbs out of the 4 Japanese maple trees. Going to use those limbs in the bottom of the raised beds. So, I have a small pile started and just working on getting a small area that GS put a brick border around for his little garden he didn't take care of. So going out early each morning to remove the bricks and clean out that area to make the raised bed garden a bit larger. Then come in house to do some work as it starts to warm up a bit. Still can't believe it got down to 55* last night and this is just the start of September. Still summertime right now. 

GS has food all over the pantry floor. I don't even know what is. So going to move it all out into the hall out of the way while I get the shelves reorganized. I have already started on that job. But still a way to go yet. Still trying to get my energy back up and the will to get everything done. I am so far behind on many things. 

DD texted me a bit ago and said GS is on the way here to pick up a package and his controller he left here. So, he just left a couple of minutes ago heading to work. He will be travelling back and forth to work here for 2 or 3 weeks till he can get transferred to NC Food Lion. At least he was civil when he came by. He just didn't say much. Which was probably a good thing. 

Need to get up from here and get back to the pantry. I really need to get that finished as I am moving some canned goods to the pantry and going to restock with the foods, I use the most in the kitchen. Need to get back to my rotation system. I lost that when GS just moved everything around and I gave up. Just might get my life back together yet. I do feel better knowing that I won't be putting up with his mess again.

• Like 6

Simply~A~Snow.  :pray:

Littlesister, one day at a time. You'll get back in the swing of things before long. Be easy on yourself. You have been through the wringer with him. 

Yesterday and last night I canned 12 half pints of salsa and 28 pints of spaghetti sauce. I've got 20 pints of pizza sauce waiting for the canner to build pressure. It's easier to pressure can it so I can stack the jars. 

I'm thinking of doing some quarter pints of Sweet Baby Rays Bar-B-Q sauce. I know it will be rebel canning but I'd really like some in my pantry for dipping sauce. :shrug:

I just don't have the strength and energy in me to do it all from scratch now. 

• Like 5

Jeepers, that Baby Rays barbeque sauce is good. 

Miki, I might join in on the number 10 cans. It sounds like an easy set up for canning. 

After getting home from the lawyer's office early this morning I decided to start in on the pantry. I cleaned up all the empty grocery bags and empty boxes GS had just thrown all over everywhere in there. Then packed up his foods to send to his mom's house. I can't eat half of what he has.  2 open jars of peanut butter, 3 boxes of opened crackers, and the list goes on and on. So, all packed and ready to go out the door. Then I turned my attention back on the pantry shelves and reorganizing them. I have too much of some things as store bought can food goes and not enough of others. But not going to restock at this time. I want to take what I already have for making soups and things. Then take it from there. I want to take all of my quart canning jars and can water. That would be great for emergencies and can use it for canning and other things. I figure why have all those quart jars I'm not using as I am switching to all pints and 1/2 pints now that it is just me. So those quarts can be put to good use in the way of water. If I need some quart jars for something, then I can just use the water and have the quarts for something else.

• Like 5

I took the pizza sauce out and something siphoned badly. I thought one of the jars had broken but it didn't. They are still hot, but it looks like maybe 2 of the jars didn't seal. I'll Water bath them along with some Bar-B-QUE sauce in the morning. Sweet Baby Ray's is good stuff. Hope it doesn't scorch or taste burned like some sweet sauces do. 

I'm right there with you Miki. I know how to do it from fresh tomatoes. I used to always do it that way. It's good enough to know I can if I have to. One old woman doing it all just isn't working anymore. I'm already exhausted doing it from cans. 

That sounds like a good idea Littlesister. With just me eating, I never use quart jars either. Except for a case of diced tomatoes. I might need a jar for soup or chili or something. 

I really need to make vegetable soup. I love to eat it but I hate to make it. The amount I make, takes all day to fix it and then can it. I'll probably wait until I move though. I use my big water bath canner as a soup pot. I'm not buying another one of those just for soup. 

I had a list all made out of all the things I wanted to get canned by years end and it's somewhere In a computer I no longer have. Hopefully it's saved on a thumb drive that I'll be able to access whenever I get internet again. I really wish I had it. 

• Like 5

Jeepers, you will get there. It just takes time. I am hoping to get back to canning either next week or the week after. I have to be able to get to the chest freezer. I need to pull out all the coolers also from shed to put the food in and sort it out as I empty the freezer. I want all the chicken from that freezer out to can. Then after that I will do the beef but some of the beef will be for the vegetable beef soup.  My DH used to make the soup and now it is all on me. I have made 2 batches since he passed and yes, doing it all by yourself is not as easy. Those are the times I miss him the most. He was more help than I realized. We did everything together be in inside the house or outside. Even went and helped him at the market with the collards. 

• Like 5

I spent the morning doing some cleaning at Dad's house. I have been doing the bare minimum around his house since coming back from Canada on Saturday, and it is starting to show. He slept kind of late this morning, so I did simple quiet things: dusting, sweeping, laundry, wiping down cabinets, etc. My hubby came by around lunchtime to cut up a large branch that had fallen in the back yard a few weeks ago. After that, I did some work for a client and ordered up some groceries.  Keeping in mind that winter is coming, I ordered a few extra food items for the freezer and pantry. I am planning to return to my own home for several days and want to make sure that things are easy for Dad.

When I go home, I have plans to organize a few projects. I want hubby to replace a toilet and a faucet. I plan to do a couple of touch up drywall repairs, remove a small section of carpet and then paint. If I have time, I will also scrub the screen porch and everything on it. A bird got in through a break in the screen and did the dirty-birdie all over the place. I do hope that he got out on his own. If not, there may be a birdie corpse somewhere! I really hope that I have some leftover screening somewhere. Otherwise, I will have to do a temporary repair to the screen with a needle and thread. It is not ideal, but it should keep the wildlife out. I don't want to have to go to any store as it will cut into my time. I have really missed being in my own house!

• Like 6

OOTO, so sorry to hear that you are having a bee problem also. I hope you can solve the problem without an exterminator. Our exterminator is supposed to be here tomorrow.  Hope he gets all the bees this time. 

DH is on vacation this week and we have a bunch of appointments through this week. DH also wants to work on the porch and replace some boards and maybe the hand rail, too. Not sure if we will be doing anything  "vacation-y". LOL!

• Like 6

Weather alert:  Tho they didn't see any of several potential storms winding up for a month, NOW.....suddenly this one IS!  Tropical Storm turned into Hurricane Francine, is expected to be on this route.. (see below)....all the way up to INDY and  Illinois!  'Course it will be supposed to be a tropical depression by the time it's way up north.  Hope y'all need rain cuz that's likely coming. 

And yeah...I read they were sending the oil rig guys in to shore for H. Francine.  Glad your guy will be home, Snow!!!  Stay safe...you've been thru this before tho, right?  Genny and water and such.  :thumbs:  Careful of placement of genny - no killer CO1 fumes!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/tropical-system-could-hurricane-wednesday-043032156.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&segment_id=DY_VTO&ncid=crm_19908-1202929-20240909-0&bt_user_id=hCuBnhU2CVjIqNhhOvwcn8MZTYyzyhuh2iuNoy5ZzziCSqHEP7oOXGrlx96AT%2BMd&bt_ts=17259012924346e2c805a24b1f5c201c9901577414dfe.webp

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 5

Still taking STUFF for my ear(s).  I think it's getting better but slow!  At least I can breathe better.  Seriously not getting much done.  I did a brisk walk....about 6/10ths of a mile.  Seemed okay.  But when I went up the stairs to house I nearly :faint3:  Legs -turned-to-lead.  :scratchhead:   Sheeeesh!  Getting tired of this Old Lady thing!  I'm good for getting up and doing a little thing...then sit or lay down again.  :tapfoot:   Losing patience with this THING!  It's not even a cold/flu.  (well, thankful for that but...)  No sustainable energy.  Hmph.  

This too shall pass...... 

Good luck with your bee problems, OOTO and Blessed. 

You're a good daughter, Martian.  Your dh too.  Bet your dad is glad you come and fix and straighten so he can continue on in his own home for now.  :dishes:  :shopping:  :lois:    (I may have asked this before..)  does your dad wear an emergency alert around his neck...JIC?  Some areas have to work strictly off the landline phone cuz they don't have a nearby cell tower.  That's what mine does.  So anywhere we can get signal for the landline handset, the alert will work.  I've found all the "phone booth" reception areas on the property and on the road.  

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

You're a good daughter, Martian.  Your dh too.  Bet your dad is glad you come and fix and straighten so he can continue on in his own home for now.  :dishes:  :shopping:  :lois:    (I may have asked this before..)  does your dad wear an emergency alert around his neck...JIC?  Some areas have to work strictly off the landline phone cuz they don't have a nearby cell tower.  That's what mine does.  So anywhere we can get signal for the landline handset, the alert will work.  I've found all the "phone booth" reception areas on the property and on the road.  

Thanks, @Mt_Rider! I have pretty much been living at his house since the end of May. I have taken three Canada trips and left him alone for up to a week. I really haven't been in my own home at all, which can create a strain. My hubby has been amazing with Dad and tries to pick up the slack at home, but doesn't like to make a lot of decisions. Dad does not wear an emergency alert. He has always been prone to clutter and misplacing things. He lost one of his hearing aids in the house about 7 years ago. We never found it! If he had an alert, it would have to work off the landline because cell phones don't work at all here, unless they are on the wifi.

I rely on the ring cameras to let me know if he goes someplace that might be unsafe and the Echo Shows to allow me to drop in on him. I can talk and hear on both types of devices and the Echo allows him to call me. What we don't have is any kind of remote monitoring for falls. So far, falling hasn't been a problem. Other family members and I call him to remind him to take pills, so we try to keep close tabs on him.

Edited by themartianchick
  • Like 5
9 hours ago, Mt_Rider said:

You're a good daughter, Martian.  Your dh too.  Bet your dad is glad you come and fix and straighten so he can continue on in his own home for now.  :dishes:  :shopping:  :lois:    

YES! I have thought that many times too. :bouquet:

• Like 1

I got a contingency offer on the house. I'm very reserved about it. I can't get excited until it actually happens. 

It will all depend on an inspection and a radon test. I think the inspection will go well except for the windows. I'm prepared for that and ready to negotiate on them. The driveway is an issue but they surly saw that when they were here. I'm concerned about a radon test. Simply because I have no idea if it's an issue or not. It's out of my hands. I will negotiate on that too. 

I'm really not willing to drop the price of the house but I am willing to work with a buyer. Sounds like the same thing and it sort of is. But if I drop the price, it shows up on the report and then I won't have wiggle room for the next buyer if this deal falls through. Makes sense in my head. That will depend on the buyers mortgage lender though, I suppose. I didn't set the price of the house. The realtor did. 

It's a good strong offer. They are offering asking price. But for some reason I'm not excited. Past experience probably. I will do about anything to get this house sold. I'm not greedy and I will cooperate any way can. I was always prepared to knock off some money. Heck, I'll even pay for new windows if that what it takes. I'm prepared to knock off a lot of money. 

Oh, and there is a cement block missing at the top of one of the basement walls. I have no idea how or when that happened but I'll get that fixed if it's an issue. Wonder if radon could come in from there. :sigh:

I'm nervous. 

• Like 6

Jeepers so glad you have an offer! The block missing won't cause radon issues. If they find it, Radon can be mitigated pretty easily too for not a horrible amount (google search says less than $100) so if that shows up you can probably include that in whatever you knock off the price. I hope the inspection goes well. You fixed up so much it hopefully won't show too many things and I'm guessing other than the driveway likely minor issues. It's not a new house they have to expect some things won't be perfect. Glad you have a built in buffer to give them a credit if needed but don't sell yourself short :hug3:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Becca-Anne. I needed that pep talk. The house went on the market for more than I ever thought so I'm more than willing to take off some money. "Credit" that's the word I couldn't think of. 

A number of window companies up here are always having sales. BOGO. I'm not willing to have the replacements while I'm here but I will pay for them if there if a deal going on. 

I didn't even know if radon was a fixable thing. I just don't want it to scare the buyer off. It sounds ominous. 

The house was built in 1980 so it's definitely not new. Ugh. I just want the inspection/radon over. Normally, I'm really good at negotiating. This time I'm willing to acquiesce. 

• Like 5

Jeepers, don't sell yourself short. If they are offering full price don't offer to come down on the price. Do that only if your realtor says they want X amount knocked off for driveway or whatever. I have never heard of anyone asking for a Radon test, but it is for air quality. Smoking in house and that is in air and a lot of other things, but your house was almost totally redone so it should pass with no issues.

Martin, you have really been a huge help to your dad. I know you would like to head back home to your own home at some point, but I am sure your dad apricates all you and your DH are doing for him. I hope you have someone keeping an eye on your house for you also. 

Went to DGD house this morning. She and her DH are going to come pick up the baby stuff and GS's food to take to her mom this weekend. I am going to clean up one of the playpens that I am keeping here. But not going to set it up till March when the baby is due. They are no longer being transferred and yes, they are being transferred. Her DH will be going to school in Elizabeth City but instead of moving he is going to commute back and forth from here. I will stay put till they get the final transfer after the school is over. So, they may be here for at least another year or so. I am glad as I want to spend time with the new baby also. I'm not getting any younger and not sure how much longer I will be able to travel. They are hoping for SC at some point but that is iffy. 

DGD told me that DD had a colonoscopy, and she had polyps, plus a small mass when she went back to see the doctor for results. All was pre cancer. But the surgeon wanted to remove the mass and take out all her lymph nodes and part of her colon. She said no and was going to get a second opinion. So, she has an appointment with another doctor in I think GD said October. I knew DD was going to have the colonoscopy. But she never told me anything about what was found. Please keep her in prayer that everything is ok. We do need to wait till she sees this new doctor as to what is going on. 

We had the car seats checked for safety, and one didn't pass so had to dump that one. But the other one is perfect. GD is taking that one back home later this week. Then all but one playpen will be here for my use.  Euphrosyne. All that baby stuff other than what didn't pass on the one car seat has really helped us all out. I truly think you for it all. It is being passed in 3 different directions as the baby is at my house at times and at my DD's house at times so all this made it so much easier on us. :sSig_thankyou:

I am getting ready to go work out in the garage again for a bit. I have really put a huge dent in it. Hoping within the next week or so I can put my car back in there. I need to make an appointment to get it repainted. But I want to be sure the garage will be ready to put the car back into it. Still have a lot to do out there. Pantry is almost finished. Just a few things that I need to get done. Then I will close the door on that room and move on to the next room. I might start in the office and get that ready Need to move the shelving unit out and a folding table that I set up temporary to work off of while going through things. Then I can move the sewing machine table back into the dining room even though the dining room suit has not sold yet. Someone has saved it so hoping that will be a good sign. I need to get the things in the China hutch moved out and packed up. I am going to sell a lot of the Knick knacks in there. It all just something else I have to dust, and I really don't want to mess with doing all that anymore. Seems the older you get the less interest you have with Knick knacks. Though these are the really nice Japanese figurines. But they need to go. 

• Like 5

I'm really not selling myself short. I'm not going to offer a reduction. But if they say they don't want the house because of.... then I'm willing to negotiate. I'm good at counter offering. I had planned all along for that to happen so I won't be surprised. To be honest, I don't even mind doing it. Part of doing business. Their realtor and mine will be the go-between. Buyer and seller usually don't meet until closing day.

Radon testing is very common around here. We had it done in Indiana when we sold that house to move here. This house was tested 34 years ago when we bought it. I didn't have my house in Indy tested because it was already done by a couple who had wanted to buy the house but their mortgage fell through. I didn't use their inspection but I used their radon test. Radon is a big deal in the Midwest I guess. 

• Like 6