MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Mt.Rider, I'm not sure what happened to this ear. All at once I noticed drainage from it. The other ear is fine. It started Friday. Medical issues always start before a weekend, huh? Then I was out of town. That didn't really matter though because I couldn't get in to see my doctor anyway. I was going to call for an appointment today (Monday) then remembered I could do it online. First appointment was for Tuesday. I could have gotten one earlier in the day but I'm not a morning person. I can get up and get ready but I'm always afraid I'll fall back asleep and miss appointments. :rolleyes: 

I think you started this ear issue business.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Sounds like you are going to have a great time with your friend! Hubby will get some healing rest too. Win-Win. Maybe you could think about moving closer to her? :happy0203:

• Like 5

Mt. Rider, glad you are doing better with your ears and such. Have fun with your friend and that DH gets some good quality rest for his back. 

Jeepers, praying that all goes well with the inspections and things start moving along to the final move to Indy.  Praying for the ear to clear up soon. I am sure they will put you on an antibiotic for it if there is infection involved.

Got a call this morning that another friend of mine passed away yesterday late. That's two now within a week or so. Still two more that are in really bad shape and not doing well at all. This is getting crazy. But when you are old, and your friends are also old and all with health issues it does happen.  I think I need to start lining up some new and maybe a bit younger friends. All the ones my age and older are all being called home.

Got the soup going in the canners. Once those are done and I finish cleaning up I am going to do the hamburger. I figure with what is in the freezers, I will be canning for at least 2 days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
4 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Got a call this morning that another friend of mine passed away yesterday late. That's two now within a week or so. Still two more that are in really bad shape and not doing well at all. This is getting crazy. But when you are old, and your friends are also old and all with health issues it does happen.  I think I need to start lining up some new and maybe a bit younger friends. All the ones my age and older are all being called home.

I am so sorry for your loss, @Littlesister.

I have lost a few friends in the past year as most of mine are older than me. Is there a hobby or exercise class that you would be interested in? That might be a place to meet new people. Are there any canning, baking or cooking classes that interest you? If you like to read , a book club might work. My late sister had vision issues and had difficulty reading most books unless they had large print. She and her friends started a magazine club, because they weren't all that interested in reading long books. I'm not sure that they actually read any magazines, come to think of it! They found lots of charitable things to do. They crocheted hats for babies at the hospital, made those polar fleece blankets and raffled them off for charity, sponsored a family in need for the holidays and for back to school needs, did walkathons and collected recipes to create  a local cookbook. They met once or twice a month and took turns eating at each others homes. While we spend a lot of time at Mrs. S talking about being prepared for emergencies, it is equally important to build a sense of community and belonging. We all need to have a supportive tribe!

• Like 4

@Littlesister. I'm sorry you lost another friend. That hurts. It's tough when we are all getting to be at that certain age. 

You mentioned canning beef. How do you do yours? Shreds or chunks? Cooked or raw. I cook mine first. I'm weird about meat. I have chicken canned but no beef. I have a few cases of Keystone beef. I would use them first. In my mind, I think food lasts longer in glass jars rather than metal cans. I might be wrong though. I'm hearing that a lot of people are saying they are finding food in cans are nearly all water now. Especially veggies, tuna and pet food. Of course you can't see in the cans before you buy them. :(

I might try canning a little next week. I don't think I'm up to soup. Maybe re-can the strawberry pie filling. I'm not happy with all of that red dye I accidently poured in the last batch. It sure looks pretty but I don't think it's very healthy. Not that pie filling is the healthiest. Strawberries, sugar, clear gel and lemon juice isn't too bad but that red dye is nagging at me. I only wanted a drop or two. :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Celebrated 34 years of marriage with dh yesterday.  We were teens when we got married.  18 and 19. Nobody thought it would last because we married so young. Well, we proved them wrong! Didn't really do anything special yesterday.  We just went to Sam's Club and got Greek food. We only go to Sam's Club 4-5x a year but buy a lot.

Started our 1st day of the homeschool year today. It went very well. This is later than usual because adult dd was visiting Labor Day week and dh was on vacation last week.

Our almost 5yo grandson has been having fevers for over a week. He's on an antibiotic and doing better now. The doctors never did find out what the cause was.

• Like 5

Jeepers, the way I can meat depends on the type of meat it is and what I will be using it for. Some I will cook up with seasonings and some I will raw pack for use in different dishes. I cube some of mine and some I will slice up in longer pieces to can. When I raw pack I now add a bit of salt and a bit of tenderizer. The meat I cook up I will season with different things depending on what dish I want to use it in.  I thought I was going to get to the hamburger this afternoon, but I am still canning soup. Soup is good on a really cold day.  I did something different with it this time. I cooked up the meat and then took it out before adding my veggies. Then after the soup was done, I added an even amount of meat to each jar. Then I added the veggies with the juice to each jar. What veggies were left as I didn't have enough meat for it, I just jarred that up for plain veggie soup. So, two for the price of one. I might go ahead and brown up the hamburger and if it's not too late. If not, I will put it in fridge till tomorrow. The pan I used for the soup was a 16qt. pan. So, a lot of soup. I got 8qts.  of vegetable beef and 11 pints of vegetable beef all the rest is just vegetable soup.  I did some quarts as when SIL comes in he always asks me if I have any and takes some home for his dinner as yes, my DD will not cook. You might get a sandwich if you are lucky. She only cooks once in a while, and you are on your own. Been like that since the kids moved out. But she won't start cooking again now that GS is back with her. I am sure he doesn't get home till around 3 am now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Happy  Anniversary @blessedhomemaker71!  I'm glad you had a nice day!

Have fun on your trip  @Mt_Rider!

@Jeepers, it's good that you have a doctor appointment tomorrow. Your ear needs  attention!

@Littlesister, glad you are back to  canning. Me too. Pressure canned 7 quarts of bell peppers and onions last night. 

Walked first and then walked dogs.
Dehydrated some sweet potatoes in the oven.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Made chicken salad.
Paid a bill and made a few phone calls.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Realtor called. I wasn't happy. I'm tired. They wanted the basement guy to come at 6:00 tonight after I've been out of the house from 1:00 - 3:00.

I got a little huffy but told her okay. She called back and said they got a basement guy to come the same time the HVAC guy was here. That was the original plan this morning. :rolleyes:

Never again. They are going to have to blast me out of the Indy house. Please Lord, don't let the Indy house blow up. It was just a figure of speech. 😇

I got a notice to pick up a prescription. It went from $23.00 to $54.00. I asked why and she said I was in a donut hole. I got it. She said she could put it on some kind of discount card. I have no idea what it was, but I said okay and got it for the $23.00. I said Medicare isn't what it's 'crapped' up to be. (I got tongue tied :008Laughing:)  I got a rude awakening when I retired. I thought my medical would be taken care of. She said everyone is complaining about it. "Too bad you aren't an illegal. It would have been free." I could have kissed her. She said some people are paying over $100.00 a month for blood thinners. Shameful. I have Medicare A,B,D, a supplemental insurance plan and a prescription plan and still pay through the nose. 

Since I have a doctor appointment tomorrow, my ear is starting to feel a little better. Always happens that way. I'm still going. I don't trust it. Doctor had better not give me any grief about Ambien. I've been out and I need some sleep. I'm grumpy and right on the edge of disaster. One false move....:unsure:

• Sad 5

Necie, I think we all can use some :grouphug: Been rather tough for a few of us here. I am hoping I am now near the end of all that and can put it behind me. Though I am still looking at dirty bathroom walls that I need to clean and a lot of other things to get done with the house. But that will get done after I finish the canning. I needed to get the chest freezer defrosted and that thing was full to the brim. So that is why I put everything on hold to get back to canning again. I need to get that freezer emptied.

I am doing a challenge. Only eating what is here in pantry on hand. No grocery store for at least 4 to 6 months. I have several cartons of shelve stable milk and such so good there. I can make my own bread which I would rather do anyway again. All meat will be canned as well as what frozen veggies I have a lot of in freezer to can. Found one bag of green beans from garden last year and 2 of squash from last year's garden. So will just cook those up for meals. I did leave a couple of steaks in freezer to throw on the grill at some point. But other than that, all the beef gets canned up in different recipes as well as some plain canned up beef.

Hamburger will be spaghetti sauce with meat, meat balls, some plain hamburger and chili. Not sure what else on that as I am not sure how far it will go yet. 

Today I made veggie soup, veggie beef soup and 3 jars of just plain beef to fill the canner. All sealed. Will put all that away in the morning and start on the hamburger. It should be thawed enough to work with by then. It was still frozen solid late this afternoon. 

I am going to cook up some of the beef and also raw pack a few jars but not too many raw packed ones as I still have a lot of that. Got enough of the soups already now. So will work on other recipes for the beef tomorrow. 

• Like 4

https://www.yahoo.com/news/homegrown-storm-off-carolinas-could-141313788.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&segment_id=DY_VTO&ncid=crm_19908-1202929-20240916-0&bt_user_id=q7HxBXfz%2BlUKWjp3N0vVT68ZByN3hNuWMwJfVvObqEx79Dxaq%2BNuW%2B1YDPJBf9d6&bt_ts=1726507779130

Not exactly a hurricane coming up the Eastern Coast but they do warn that a LOT of rain/flooding may occur.  N and S Carolina and on up into Virginia. 

MtRider  ...just a heads up! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I caved today. I can't help myself this time of year. I get nesty every fall and have a strong urge to stock up. And I was in the Wal-Mart parking lot AGAIN so I went in. And my Jeep is empty. I ended up with 4 big containers of Nido milk powder. I hear it's really good...for powdered milk. I have some Morning Moos but I'm not sure how good it still is. It's pretty old. I'd like to freeze some milk when I get moved. And 4 small cans of crisco and two small bottles of olive oil. I have some lard and some coconut oil but they are getting old too. Two small cases of Vienna sausages. GS will eat them in an emergency for some protein. Four cans of bacon spam. And eight cans of tuna. I bought some small packs of extra long grain white rice instead of a big one. I plan to vacuum seal each bag and store them in a bucket. I can't remember if they are one or two pound packs. They are still in the Jeep. I either have 10 pounds of rice or 20 pounds. :rolleyes:  I can't lift the huge bags and I don't want to load up the Jeep again. I'm thinking I'd rather store rice in smaller quantities rather than one big bucket full. I won't be so afraid to open a bucket with each pack sealed. I might already have some sealed. I can't remember. Also 12 little cups of microwave rice that I like to put under beef stew. Not a lot but enough to get some of my old food rotated. I forgot about beans. 

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I think you started this ear issue business.  :grinning-smiley-044:

Ha!  Ya got me there!  Although mine was not draining or punctured like yours originally  (eewww!)  ...I'm still not well.  I'm spazzing again today - up by the back of the neck.  MS??  :shrug:  Only 5 days on steroid... it's been a long time since I've been on that.  Don't remember having any "withdrawal" before.  But then with MS, who knows.  I'm not even "standard MS" anyway.  But mannnnn!  I've had the shakes for days now. 

All I did today was 2 loads of laundry.  Bed sheets since I've been wrestling in my sleep for a while.  Wrestling to get sheets back on the bed then too.  But nice!  Laundry is 15 steps down/up so there's that.  But this shaking...ick!  I took all day - resting in between - to do 2 loads.  Brought the last dryer load up tonite and put away.  I had to lay down for at least an hour....get the spasms out.  2 Nuprin...I always take only one.  I have no idea what's still going on. 

But....I see the PA in the morning for follow-up.  :sigh:  

MtRider ..... I'm even getting a lot of sleep now....  :offtobed:   (It's only 11pm) 

• Sad 4

I tripped over an old root sticking up by the road, yesterday. Down on the road. Sigh  Was taking lunch to a neighbor.
Bruised a rib of two on the left side and left wrist. Road rash on left arm and hand and both knees are bruised this morning. Rough sleeping, but I feel better this morning!

No walk today.
Taking DH to ENT doc this morning and then to Walmart for a few things.
Picking up a wicker love seat and chair from a friend after.
Will try to find Christmas ornament items as I want to make a few to take to IL in 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Miki, glad you didn't break a bone with that fall. It sounded nasty enough with scrapes and bruises.  Be careful of that stump and stay aware it is there. 

Jeepers, hope that ear gets better soon.

Mt. Rider, glad you are now doing better with ear. Just need to figure out the rest of the issues. Hopefully the doctor will be able to get you figured out and much better. 

Working on the hamburger this morning. Put up the soup I did yesterday. Making chili and have hamburger in oven cooking for other things after the chili comes out of canner. I had no winter meals left in the pantry that I had canned. Once the chili is out of the canner I will start on the spaghetti sauce. Going to put hamburger or meatballs in half of this batch. I am also going to be making meatballs just to can up to use in other ways. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, Necie said:

:grouphug: to everyone that needs them. :grouphug:and even those who just wants one... or not. :grouphug:

:wave:  Meee.   I want/need one…….i’ll give one back??   :hug3:  :grouphug:

I sure hope these falls are not catchy.   Heal fast Miki.  :hug3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It has been a long morning and afternoon. Still canning. Trying to figure out how I want to can up some cube steak.  Might do it with onions and peppers but just not sure yet. Still have time to figure it out as both canners are still going. Still a lot of beef to can and most of it is still frozen in fridge. But tomorrow is another day. Only canning up what is now thawing to the point I can use it.   

We are getting rain from that front that moved into NC. The rain is needed. Wind is not too bad. We need the rain as I have used my well water a lot in the past week. And it being a shallow one and has dried up on us before. I am thankful to get the rain to help it out again. It was doing fine the last time I used it though. 

• Like 4

Just sitting at the kitchen counter waiting on the canners. This is the last load for today. I am so tired I don't know what end is up. So, trying to relax some now. Kitchen is cleaned up again except for mopping the floor. That can wait. 

Doctor appointment tomorrow morning at 9:45 then home again to start in canning roast beef. It will be a late start but hoping I can get it finished by tomorrow night. Then I will take a one week break from canning and then the following week start on the pork. Don't think I have as much pork to can as I did beef.  I do have some veggies that I might either can or dehydrate from freezer. I will decide that later. 

Wind from the tropical storm or whatever it is, is starting to pick up. We are supposed to have thunderstorms this evening and then tomorrow maybe light rain. There are flood warnings in a lot of areas. But I am not in that zone. 

Jeepers, how did it go at the doctor's office?  I hope they get you straightened out. 

• Like 5

Oh Miki. That sounds so painful.  Sounds like road rash. That hurts so bad it burns. I'm glad you didn't break anything like bones or teeth. 

Here ya go Mother. A great big group hug for you!  :grouphug: Oh heck, take two.  :grouphug:We have plenty.

Doctor appointment was interesting. Of course. My ear is starting to feel a little bit better. Most of the pain has been on the outside of the ear. Sort of strange. And it hurt to eat because of jaw movement. There are still occasional stabbing pains inside the ear but it's getting better. Anyway, he tried to look in there but the canal was too swollen to really see anything. He prescribed some drops TobraDex. He gave those to me once before when I first went to him after the perforation but before I saw the ENT. ENT took me off of them. I told the nurse that but she said to take them anyway. I need to look it up. He also gave me an antibiotic, Keflex, in case there is an infection. It's really to swollen to see in there. 

The bad news was my blood pressure. I can't remember what it was and it isn't listed on my paper but it was darn near 300/200. Ugh. So he gave me an immediate EKG in the office. Heart was good. Then he said he couldn't let me leave the office with my BP that high. Said I was in stroke range. But I was feeling so good. He gave me a pill that is supposed to lower the BP quickly. If it worked I could go home and not to the hospital. Fast acting pill took an hour. But it worked. Whew. I think he said clonidine. It made me really sleepy. It got my BP down to 160/108. Not great but a whole lot better. Enough to keep me out of the ER. He upped one of my meds, Coreg, so we'll see. I have to go back in 2 days. I'd better not start that fainting mess again. They also did a routine blood draw that evidently I  was due for. I go back in 2 days and then a month and 3 months for a Medicare wellness check. I have always struggled with my blood pressure.  I only went in for an earache. :rolleyes:   He didn't hesitate giving me the Ambien. Probably figured I'd stroke out on him if he crossed me. He has seen that I only take them occasionally so we're good. Finally. 

I had planned to can the last case of half pints of salsa but I'm so sleepy after that pill. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe not.

That was my day. Over 2 hours in the doctors office for an ear exam. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4