MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

I have a lot of catching up to do and it will take a bit.  I was in severe pain Monday night/ Tuesday morning and went to my Dr.   CT scan made him tell me to go to the ER.  I was admitted to the hospital through the ER later in the day after ultrasound.  I had an acute gallbladder infection.  They did surgery late Wednesday night.   Surgeon said it was the worst case he has ever seen in his career.  I had over 100 stones and it was probably the reason I kept feeling so bad.  Long story short, I no longer have a gallbladder and am in post surgical pain with records set that I'd have preferred not to set.  

• Sad 9

I am so sorry to hear that Euphrosyne. Rest as much as you can and praying that you will recover quickly from the surgery and get well fast. 

Ryan Hall is one of the best. He really knows how to cover a storm. That storm was really bad. I haven't had the TV on today as I have been really busy. But I did hear from other neighbors about it.  

Prayers go out to everyone that was in the way of Helena.  I pray that everyone on here made it through Ok. 

We are about to get hit with rain. It is getting very dark outside now. We got a little rain with wind but not much of anything. I got caught in that rain, but it wasn't bad. I needed to go out and finish covering the wood pile. I got the covers and just needed to finish up on that. So that job is done just in time for the rain. Worked in garage all morning moving things and organizing. Still some things to finish up in there. 

And what is with this computer today. The screen is jumping all over the place. Yep, I hear thunder so it's on the way. I heard that Spectrum and Cox internet has been down, and that the Walgreen's is closed today because they can't use the cash registers or fill RX's. No internet today. Not sure about the grocery stores. 

Please, if anyone that lives anywhere in the area of this hurricane, check in when you can to let us know you are all doing ok. 

• Like 5

Ugh, watching WEATHER stuff gets me so churned up I didn't get to sleep at my now-normal decent bedtime.  :shrug:    So I'm up late this morning.

:pray: for Necie's kin!

:pray: for Martian's health concerns - that her concerns are addressed by medical folk!!!!!!!  <_<

:pray:  for Euphrasyne's medical issues!!!!!  :amen: that 'they" finally found/verified what she's been telling them and feeling so off!!!!  For her healing now that the surgery will calm down all systems and she can return to her busy family life!!!  :grouphug:  

Hope we hear from some that we know in the danger zone.  But with utilities down over such a HUGE area....and such damage.....Oye!  :pray:  for the safety of those who will go in to begin getting communities back into the 21st Century. 

Not to be insensitive but .....you know watching how these communities and individuals survive and rebuild piece by piece...can always give us insight.  In case this level of destruction ever happens in our own back yard.  :sigh: 

MtRider  :( 

• Like 5

I agree with what Mt. Rider said.  :pray: for all that are having health issues for a quick recovery and be back to normal soon.  And for all that is in the way of this Hurricane. This one brings more flooding than normal.  

My family in NC are doing good. They live in Elm City off 97E. They are getting rain but that is about it. Not in a flood zone.  

Jeepers, I stayed up till after midnight last night watching it. So haven't turned the TV on today.  I would be sitting there watching it instead of getting some much-needed things done both outside before the rain hit and in garage. 

• Like 4

We got some hard rain and wind but for around here it so far has been nothing out of the ordinary. I put an old cooler outside with the top off to see how much rain we get. I didn't put out my rain gage this year. Though I think this is going to get worse later tonight. I'm ready for whatever happens.

Just got an update we are now under tornado warnings. Also, in Gates County NC. Been through that one before and was a near miss. I hope one doesn't develop.

Edited by Littlesister
warnings
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

🙏 for all those in need.  ..  Euphrasyne, I have been there, done that and send you my deepest sympathy for what you have been going through. :hug3:  

I echo LS in hoping we hear from our members in the path’s of the weather.  I was thinking of simply a snow/A New Me.  She doesn’t seem to have been here since the last weather event.  What about Kappy and CSM?  So many others.  :grouphug:

• Like 7

Euphrasyne, glad to see you feel better enough to be on here. Praying that you heal quickly. Get some much-needed rest and don't try to do much around the house. You have your DH and DD16 that I am sure will step up to the plate to help out. I hope you have someone helping you with River. :hug3::pray:  I know DD16 is in school and your DH works. But I am sure you have it all under control. 

I also pray for those on here that might have been in the path of this storm. Darlene and anyone else that lives in Florida and all these other states that were affected. Mt. Rider didn't you say your brother lives on a boat? Have you heard from him yet?  I hope he and his boat made out ok. 

Prayers for all that will be traveling soon and struggling with illnesses also. 

Storm, I think is over for us now. We could get some more rain overnight but nothing major. I hope this is over for all states involved now. But don't let your guard down as I heard something about something forming in the Caribbean. I hope it doesn't develop into anything. 

I saw in Florida where houses were ripped apart. It looked like they had straight line tornados there. The houses were just gone. And I watched 2 houses fall into the ocean in N. Carolina. They were built right on the coastline. I think they said this year alone there have been 6 houses that have fallen into the ocean. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

We are in for 4 days of rain from Helene starting tomorrow. It isn't predicted to be too bad. Expecting wind only to 30 mph tomorrow. I think we are going to get off easy with this one. As long as no tornadoes spawn, we will be okay. 

• Like 6

Jeepers, praying that no tornadoes will happen. We got the warning, but nothing happened here.  So far for me, it was just hard rain and in the beginning thunder. The wind was mild maybe 20 to 30 miles per hour if that. 

I saw some of the videos on Florida coast.  It ripped those houses apart. I don't see how anyone will recover from all that. They will have to totally rebuild or take a loss and move on. Business is even to the point of no return. 

• Sad 4

My brother lives on a boat but he's right in D.C. so if you didn't get much, LittleSister, then I doubt it would be much for him.  Except flooding the low area he has to wade thru - at high tide - just sometimes.  This might be one of those times.  Wind can push more water up stream and that's when he floods the dock area. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 4

Hi everyone!

All we got from the hurricane was a light breeze and a few clouds.  1" of rain one day.  So all good for us.

@Jeepers, I'm sorry about your GS woes!  Is there a house selling update yet?

@Mt_Rider, sorry about your mom's falls!  I hope that gets figured out soon!

@euphrasyne, I'm glad that you had your gall bladder removed!  I had a CT a year ago that showed a calcified gall stone (not sure of size).  Doc says they won't address it until it hurts.

@themartianchick, I think a bug bomb is a great idea (dogs outside of course).  Probably after I get back from my trip.

First place we went yesterday was to hospital lab to turn in sputum sample for DH. Last time he went on IV antibiotics, it was 8 months in between times. This time it has only been 4 months. When I get home, he has a doc appt. scheduled so we can get him started again, hopefully. I have a friend who is an rn and paramedic (my friend in the military). She will pop in and check on him a few times. I'm a little hesitant to go, but he says I need a break from him. LOL

Couldn't sleep last night so will walk later after walking dogs.
Will finish my sheep ornaments today. Right now they are on the dresser upside down to let glue dry and they look like a flock of sheep that died toes up. Hah. I will post a photo later.
Otherwise making dinner and taking it a little easy.
Last night a friend told me that putting Vick's on my ribs would help a lot and it sure did!
See you all later!

• Like 5

We checked with relatives in the Tampa/ St. Pete area, as well as in Palm Beach County. Everything was fine. They don't live near the water, though.

Our area of Florida saw a few downed branches and not much else. I checked my Ring cameras and then texted a few neighbors and friends. Our handyman said that he had one branch down in his driveway, but that he'd already taken care of that by the time that I reached out at 9 am. He was headed over to our condo development to pick up some branches and address any other debris/issues. He's the preferred handyman/contractor in the development and the condo association uses his services a lot. About a half hour later, I saw him on the Ring camera, outside my lanai. He took a picture and sent it to me with a text that said that all was well.

Cedar Key is a oddly beautiful place because a river pours into the saltwater of the gulf where it mixes to form really brackish water and therefore, it has amazingly diverse wildlife. For a hurricane, that means that it is too easy for the ocean waters to be pushed right back up the river and invade neighborhoods. The area relies on the seafood industry and tourism. Hubby and I don't know anyone who lives there, but it was devastated in recent years from a hurricane. Prior to that, they were impacted by the oil spill in the gulf. There was an Italian/seafood restaurant that was well-known for Key Lime Pie (despite not being in the actual Florida Keys). We loved that restaurant, but it seemed to go out of business at some point between COVID and that earlier hurricane. I don't see how the people and businesses can bounce back from this. There is already an insurance crisis in Florida and many people have opted to not pay for a policy, even from the state-owned "insurance of last resort". FEMA money only covers a portion of whatever is lost and won't provide enough for people to actually repair all of the damage.

We will be watching the fallout from this closely because Gov. Desantis allowed "new" insurance companies to form to replace the ones that pulled out of the state due to weather-related disasters. They don't cover as much and this is the first year of their existence. I've heard that they charge more, but don't have the reserves to shell out for major catastrophes yet. When these plans were being rolled out, they said that if there was too much strain on the system that there would be a huge tax surcharge placed on every property to shore up the insurance funds and meet the shortfall. Our condo is a modest property...Nothing fancy! It is located in a suburb in the middle of the state. I feel that it would be unfair to force us to pay a huge tax because others chose to build/rebuild on the coast despite the increasing ferocity of the storms. When you couple this with the new inspection mandates for condos that have 3 or more stories and the stories of special assessments to cover them, there will be a lot of people opting to walk away from properties and/or forclosures. Our condo building only has 2 stories, so we dodged a bullet on that one! Only the wealthy will be able to afford to stay because they can self-insure and still rebuild. We are fortunate to have options, but what about the seniors who sold everything that they own to be able to spend their retirement in the sun? This all feels like a huge land grab.

Edited by themartianchick
  • Sad 5

I don't believe one can even buy insurance on the barrier islands of the Gulfcoast.  And as of a few years ago, most companies wouldn't cover a mobile/ manufactured home over a few years old.  Not even in town.

• Sad 4
51 minutes ago, snapshotmiki said:

I don't believe one can even buy insurance on the barrier islands of the Gulfcoast.  And as of a few years ago, most companies wouldn't cover a mobile/ manufactured home over a few years old.  Not even in town.

And that is where it all goes downhill...

That home or mobile home was purchased and maintained at a time when it could be insured. Then the insurers pull out of the state or refuse to write a policy for the property. The owner tries to sell, but no one wants to buy a property that they cannot get coverage for. The owner either stays put with no coverage, sells waaay below the actual value or walks away from the mortgage. They also lose any equity that they would have otherwise had in the property. That equity was a form of savings and security for them. Suddenly, their net worth is greatly reduced. We are currenlty in the midst of one of the greatest transfers of wealth due to the baby boomers passing away. Between the excessive cost of nursing homes and the insurance crisis, the wealth is being diverted away from their descendants and handed to wealthy folks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Those pictures were different from others I have seen on the news. There was a great deal of destruction because of that hurricane.  It showed the area where a tornado touched down 20 minutes from where my DD lives. Thankfully it didn't go down toward her way. With the insurance issues going on, this is going to be very hard for so many people to ever be able to recover from this.  

• Like 4

Well, I did have a productive day and found some things in my outings today that I needed. A couple that wasn't on my list. But still need to make that Lowe's trip as I was hoping Tractor Supply would have the plastic I needed. But no go on that. They didn't even have seeds in there. But it is the newest one they built near me. I think I still like the one in Smithfield much better. It is bigger and has a lot more stuff. 

Due to the internet fiber optics being cut. No banks were open this morning nor was the post office. I think they found the problem and fixed it now, but the banks and post office will be a bit slower getting back online. Hopefully on Monday that will all be strait. I really did enjoy getting out today though. Haven't been out to do much of anything in over 3 weeks. felt good to just get out and go places today. And I got the tank filled and the gas can as well. Only bad part is I didn't realize how weak the muscle around my knee has gotten so it is a bit sore now. So just resting it for now. 

• Like 4

@snapshotmiki hubby is right. You do need a break. Not necessarily from him but for a change of scenery and to recharge your batteries. And maybe from him just a little.  LOL. Lucky you have a skilled friend who can keep an eye on him. I want to see your sheep. WANTED: Dead or alive. I'm still waiting on any news of what the house will appraise for and the survey. Paperwork is so darn slow. If the original people are still interested, I'll negotiate with them. That's a big if. Sigh. 

@themartianchick glad to hear all of yours are safe and sound! Such a big storm. You are lucky you have a good and reliable handyman. I'm hoping I can find one of those too. Worth their weight in gold! 

I've heard about the insurance crisis in Florida. Actually it affected the rest of the country's rate too because we were being charged higher premiums to make up for the payouts. Not only Florida but California wildfires etc. I know all about inspections. Crimony. Nothing escapes scrutiny. Especially with modern tools to find every little thing. It's like you make sound decisions and then they change the rules mid-game. Many boomers have wealth but it's being eroded by health care costs. And taxes. Rant off. :D

Looking at all the different devastating links in the one you posted above is heartbreaking. And scary. 

• Like 4

I have also heard about the insurances pulling out of different states. I know State Farm pulled out of CA, but I think are still covering car insurance. 

Also, I have not heard this but someone in my neighborhood said that the Golden gate bridge collapsed. He said that about 40 people were killed as there were cars on it when it went down. I haven't had the news on yet and can't seem to find anything on the internet about it. So, this is iffy at best. Going to check into it in a bit. 

I pray that everyone that was in line of the hurricane came through it ok. 

• Like 2