MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

Went to pick up DS1 this morning and thought I’d stop by the Amish store near DS2’s house. It’s on the way. Found maple sausage 3#/$5. Got 12 of them to use making brats. 
DS1 and I went to another Amish store near him— highlights... I found 1/2 gallon jars $16/case- bought 2, gallon coconut oil $7.50 each- bought all 6 they had for soaping, 3# rolls of regular breakfast sausage $4.50 each- bought 4 for venison burger. Then we stopped at a small meat market. I got 2# frozen raw shrimp $6 each. 
Got back to mom and dad’s and the home health care aid was there today. Dad had an *episode*— stood up from his chair and passed out. The aid was right there and *caught* him... help him up between her and the chair til he came out of it. First time she’s seen him do it, she said now she understands what we’re talking about. They’ve upped mom’s help. The aid is coming 3x a week instead of two (5 hrs/day). They have a nurse coming in once a week, and an occupational(?) therapist... I’m not sure how often (these are new). AND they’ve approved dad for transport!! This is great for mom and DS1– no more having to load him in and out of the truck for appointments. 
Went to DS2’s and we skinned and quartered the doe. Not nearly as big as the buck. I took the hind and front legs, backstraps, and cut some meat off the neck and hip area. He kept the spine and ribs to feed his chickens. Told him to get busy... he owes me 3 more does for that buck, and if he gets the other buck he wants, then another 5 does on top of that. 
Got home, unloaded everything, DH made venison burgers for dinner, and now I’m sitting on my butt being lazy. :coffeescreen:

:hug3:and:kissy:

Necie

• Like 4

Forgot to mention the other day: went to a hardware store and noticed that there was a baby store up the street.  Asked if diapers would cost less there than at the department store.  We went to see.  For $41 got two big packs of the 5X natural care (red bag) Huggies plus a 300-count package of wipies plus a small package of wipies plus powder plus a covered bowl with a baby spoon that snaps into the lid for traveling plus a one-week sample of maternal vitamins.  The vitamins might have been free.  Not sure why such a little thing is wearing 5x, but that's what her mom wants. 

Basically, shopping more direct instead of at the more convenient places.  

And, from her mom's angle, getting godmother to pay for things.  :lol:

• Like 3

My little Peanut Butter (profile photo) took a turn for the worse, yesterday. She has had congestive heart failure, but shown very little signs of it for the past several months. Now her breathing is very labored even at rest. DH wants to wait until Monday to make a decision. I've started giving her a little bit of dandelion root powder and fish oil. She is till getting her mullein and milk thistle for her liver issues which have disappeared. I also opened a can of salmon and rinsed it well to tempt her to eat this morning. It may be too little too late. Not sure what else to do. I know she isn't mine to keep forever and God has left her with me an extra 5 months after the liver diagnosis. I'm thankful for that!

I did walk this morning.
Took my friend to local stores.
Paid bills.
Called an made appt. with home insurance company to come take photos and up the coverage for home.
Still need to write a letter to friend in military.

• Sad 8

My Merlin gets salmon, canned chicken with mayo for his constipation, and more, so I know what you mean.  But when life becomes a burden, you will know what to do.  My heart is heavy for you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Miki, so sorry about Peanut. And yes, we only have them for a little while. But those times are cherished.  :hug3: and :pray:

Today took GS and I to go get a haircut. My hair was getting so long I couldn't do anything with it anymore. So cut off 5 inches. Still long but easier to manage. GS chopped his off short again. Yes, he now has eyeballs. 

Then we went to the grocery store so I could help him shop for lunch type foods to take with him to work. Sat him down to make him understand his paychecks are going into nothing but food. So hopefully I have him set for that. Will see how that goes. But on the bright side, he finally called the social service about his card showing up with nothing on it. They reactivate it. He now has 900 bucks on it because he thought they were sending him a new card. So, I will no longer be buying any food for him. He is set for a long while. With that and teaching him how to shop sells I hope that will last him for months. He's off today and is going to help me with some things around the house shortly. I can't decorate in the living room for Christmas now as I got the e-mail about the 2 windows that I have to replace. They will be shipped out on Dec. 4th, and one is the middle picture window. where the small tree will be sitting. So, I need to have GS help me move a couch table that sits in front of that window out from there so they can get to the window. The other one is in my bedroom.  I am going to ask them when they come about the type of storm doors they have. Not replacing those yet but hoping to next year along with gutters and light fixtures on the outside of house. Then hopefully everything will be done.  Garage sink needs to be done and they are still working on the well pump. I showed them a picture of what I would like to have if it will work. Both electric and hand pump. So, they are coming up with something that will work for both. I will then be done with the house other than painting the rest of house and redoing the hardwood floors. 

• Like 3

Miki, I'm so sorry little Peanut isn't doing well. Sigh.

You have been the best mom she could have asked for. Still always going that extra mile for her. 

Sometimes we just have to do the best we can and then let them rest. Hard. I know.   :sad-smiley-012:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is always sad when our fur babies move on.   

We had a rare date night last night.   DD15 babysat and we went out to the comedy club to see J P Sears.  Afterwards we went to listen to some live music by Steve Forss at the local bar.  It was a good night and a rare one away from the house.    

One of the jokes he did was roughly "does anyone here do prepping?  don't you kinda want something bad to happen after all that work?  Its like you practice a sport your whole life and never play it."  (basically the whole audience was cheering at the prepping bit.  It was that sort of show/audience. )

406847730_6851947391554806_5173968351964044095_n.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sad news this morning. Little Peanut Butter passed away at 4:30 this morning. She was one happy and loved little dog! I've had dogs all my life and she has been my favorite since I first saw her! I will have a friend come over a bit later and dig a hole for her. She will be missed so much!

I will go find my friend, first and stop at a yard sale at the local Catholic Church.
A little later I will walk, weather permitting. We have gotten 2" of rain since last night.
I still haven't written to my friend in the Military.
Might decorate a little today, but not feeling it right now.

• Sad 7

Euphrasyne, that's funny. I've heard others say, "We don't want anything bad to happen, but..." 

Even I've thought to myself that I'm tired of being laughed at for always being wrong. 'I really don't want anything bad to happen, but...' :grinning-smiley-044:

Nothing bad, but a good shortage where I get to come to my family's recue would kinda be nice. I was almost vindicated during the mask and hand sanitizer episode but I was caught short sighted there too. I was scrambling just like everyone else. My non-prepping DIL was sharing her hand sanitizer with me.  <_<

• Like 3

Oh, Miki, don't rush through the mourning.  I still tear up over my little Kismet, after all these years, and I only had him a few months.  Some become part of you.

Edit:  not suggesting you would rush...just don't let anyone tell you to brush it off

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Miki, I am so sorry to hear about Peanut.  I know he is going to be greatly missed as our fur babies are very much a part of our family. :hug3:

I have lost so many dogs and cats both over the years that I can't bring myself to get another dog or cat. So, I just play with the neighbor's dogs. The neighbor that had the cats passed away several years ago and no one around here that I know have has cats now just dogs. So, they are my dogs also. I baby sit one neighbor's dog now and again.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ambergris said:

Oh, Miki, don't rush through the mourning.  I still tear up over my little Kismet, after all these years, and I only had him a few months.  Some become part of you.

Edit:  not suggesting you would rush...just don't let anyone tell you to brush it off

I definitely won't rush, just continue on.  Not getting another dog anytime soon.  Oreo will have to be put down in the Spring as we can't get him in the car to go to the vet and he still bites DH.  That will leave Aninja, a Chihuahua.  At that time we will start looking.  Oh yeah, and Charlie the cat nick- named  El Destructo!

• Like 3

@snapshotmiki Our pups (and other animals) are very special to us and I am sorry to hear of your loss. It is also sad to learn that you have another beloved companion animal that will soon by waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. I hope you remaining pets don't take these losses too hard, as it can be hard on us to see them grieving their losses also. Prayers and comfort to your remaining family - 2 legged and 4.

rainbow-bridge-dog-pet-grief.jpg.c212ae24bec1bda67f6deb9982de4e3e.jpg ecards-sympathy-remembering-your-faithful-friend--master_380x304.jpg.d5b860e88587ac6cfafffac6e2c00957.jpg  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't done much today. I have that acid reflux thing going on which is aggravating. 

I was going to the house to do some moving around of boxes but since I have an Amazon order arriving tomorrow (supposedly) I figured I'd wait until then to make one trip. I made an order and everything was in stock and supposed to arrive by the 4th. Now I see where they will arrive on the 4th. 5th. 7th. and 8th. The one on the 8th. is just an inexpensive nylon purse so I don't care that much about it. But that's not what I signed up for. So now I have to go to the house four days instead of one. Plus my BOA check should arrive anytime after the 8th. 

I remember Amazon doing this last Christmas too. I had to wait on a gift before I could go over to Indy. So much for overnight or next day arrivals. Fortunately only one thing is a present.  So, when it arrives all of my Christmas will be done. Unless G-son finds some books he has to have in his life. DIL said Barnes and Noble has become his favorite store. I'm good with that. 

I'll probably spend the rest of the afternoon wrapping all of this stuff up. Probably need more wrapping paper too. 

But it's pouring down rain and windy and it sounds so good hitting the window so maybe a little snooze first. 

And I just got a notification from Amazon that the delivery on the 4th. is now delayed until the 6th. If I would have had the option to have it all delivered on the 8th. I would have. Not earth shattering but since I don't live at the house I have to keep going over there every day or so to keep one step ahead of the porch pirates. I had it planned out to all be delivered on the 4th. as they said it would. Same thing they did last year. Kept delaying things. I ordered early last year too. Only one thing is for Christmas and that is just a Pokemon card holder so no big deal. But stop lying saying you have things in stock when it's clear that you don't. This is why I took the Amazon list DIL made out and went shopping locally with it. :pout:

Edited by Jeepers
Added Info
  • Like 3

Amazon never sends anything like they used to even though we pay for next day delivery. Seems these days it's more like you will get it when we get it. Mail is even delivering for Amazon now along with UPS and Fed-X. Yes, I have had Amazon packages delivered by all of those. But at least it is free postage. I guess that counts for something. 

I cut down a lot of boxes earlier. Now my hands are sore. Going to put them in the shed for my raised bed boxes. I watched on Amazon how they line the bottom of the beds with cardboard to keep the grass and weeds out, then put the weed barrier down. Then they put dead leaves and twigs on top of that. Then the garden soil all the way to the very top of the beds. They have no bottoms; it is just the sides. But they are high up off ground to make it easier to garden. 

GS told me he is talking with a guy at work that he takes home every night. He and his sister are getting an apartment, and they want him to move in with them to help with rent and utilities. They are going to split the rent and utilities 3 ways. I hope it works out for him because he won't be coming back here this time. He sleeps in car now but comes in to shower, wash clothes and eat. That is not being totally homeless. 

GD and her DH came over this morning after church. So, I played with the baby a bit. She is getting strong. And yep, still fights sleep but easier now to calm her down. She loves to be bounced up and down. Though after a while your arms will fall off. 

Need to start wrapping Christmas gifts this week. Have to wait to put the small tree up in living room as the replacement windows will be shipped out tomorrow and then someone will come to put them in. After that I can get the rest of decorating done and clean up the living room. 

I bought a few organizers for both my bedroom closet and pantry. So, hoping to get started on all of that soon. Then I can finally get the whole house cleaned up and organized like I want. Still going through things and decluttering. But a lot will have to wait till after the holidays and for when it warms up again. 

• Like 3

I got 26# ground off the doe. Gonna do a 30# batch of brats and a 10# batch of salami snack sticks... if this thing works good. I could split the batches up and do different kinds... jalapeño, cheese, garlic, onion, etc... ??? Now I got more to think about. 🙄 Mixing tomorrow. 
I got the stuffer off marketplace. $50. Just picked it up yesterday. I looked online and could get the cheaper off-brand ones for ~$60, but the cheapest Porkert I found was $120. I was hoping to fit the tubes to my grinder with a large washer... but that’ll have to wait. 🥴

F32FFC64-C300-4042-8478-BAA1D15318E7.png

Edited by Necie
  • Like 4

That's a lot of deer meat to get done. I think you are going to be very busy for a while. 

Jeepers both Urban survival and Pinterest has the instructions on how to fill a raised bed. Some are different than others but basically the same. I have it posted on my Pinterest account also. If you want to know my Pinterest account to find it as I have Urban survival pinned to it. Let me know and I will PM you with that. 

• Thanks 1

I don't have a Pinterest board but I do have an account so I'd like to see ideas too. I'm sure that is the way I'm going to go because of my back and knees. Probably mostly raised beds except for a strawbwrry and asperagus bed on the ground or slightly raised. 

• Like 2