MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s Cookin’?

DH grilled bbq chicken 🍗 and baked potatoes 🥔. I fried wild harvest asparagus in mangalitsa bacon grease (DS2 raised and butchered last year) and butter. ‘Twas YUMMY!!! :feedme: :yum3:

156E4682-3385-490C-93E1-5AA21D5C4522.jpeg

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I'm good with leftovers

We’re good with left overs too.

Yesterday I made sheet pan roasted sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower.  We had them with salmon fillet poached in coconut cream with fennel and onions.  Today I will make the leftover fish and poaching liquid into a cream sauce to serve over rice and peas.  

• Like 4

Today I was invited to my next-door neighbor's house for dinner. Glad I took a tray of raw veggies. They don't eat much of anything other than meat and potatoes. But otherwise, we had fun. It was just her DD and DS and 2 grandchildren. 

• Like 2

Saw this and then realized I haven't eating anything all day. Just 2 cups of coffee and water. Not that I needed to eat. But I should eat something though it is now 9:30 pm. 

• Sad 3

Cooked some chicken I had in fridge. Didn't have freezer room for it and chicken is the only meat that GS seems to eat lately. So, he can have that when he comes home from work tonight. Cooked rice and Brussel sprouts to go with it though he will only eat the rice. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Lazy dinner from pantry/leftovers redone.  

Thai Chicken Green Curry & toasted garlic Naan

1 tin each:

green beans

chicken

green chilis

evaporated milk

bamboo shoots

water chestnuts sliced

2x coconut milk

1 packet green curry paste

handful dehydrated onions

handful dehydrated bell pepper

handful and a half dehydrated mixed mushrooms broken into pieces

lime pepper

red coconut lime spice

lime basil Thai spice

lemongrass spice

remainder of mushroom pea masala

remainder of container of Indian rice (* 2c)

remainder of fried rice Chinese ( *1/2c)

Combine all, drain nothing, and heat to boil then turn to low.  cook roughly an hour total.   Toast mini frozen garlic naan 5m air fryer 400f 5m.  Cut naan in half and serve half with each curry.  Big hit.  Make again. 

I prefer Pad Thai with the peanut butter and hot sauce, but family prefers this green curry.  I'm not sure if it is a lesser spice thing on the green curry with so much coconut milk, or a lack of peanut butter.  I like peanuts; not everyone does.  

Last night was homemade pasta and takeout leftovers and the kids ate those before problems arose, but MIL called from ER wanting transportation of vehicles right when I was filling plates and DH and I ended up eating basic cheeseburgers from Wendy's on the way home because of timing.  She needed transportation of self right at midnight, so we were both home and tired today.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

It amazes me how hospitals will send patients home at such odd hours of the night. That happened with my next-door neighbor a couple of years ago. 3am. and she had to call her daughter to come get her.  What ever happened to check out time being around noon to 1pm? Guess that went by the way of covid. 

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

She was in the ER, no reason to admit her.  It was a treat and release situation.  We did the cars early because it was easier and there was no way she was driving home.  It worked out b/c we both went to drive her car to her apartment while DD16 watched toddler and they ate dinner.  He went alone to get her upon release at close to midnight and took her to her apartment where she lives with her brother.   

Basically, she doesn't have common sense or take care of her self (on purpose for attention) and was low on potassium.  They had to give her several bags of it IV.    Then they released her.  She is a frequent flier in the ER.  She was a nurse back in the day, so she knows better and has zero dementia.  She lived with us for several years, but there were boundary and respect issues and it did not work out to the point where I moved a small fridge, cooking pot, computer, etc to my bedroom and did not leave the room for the last 6 months she lived here.    

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Sad 3

Oh my. Sounds like a character. I can't believe they let son go home a few hours after abdominal surgery. They sure don't keep them long any more. I remember when they used to keep women in the hospital a minimum of one week when they had a baby.

How is your wrist doing now? 

• Like 2

Wrist is doing ok.  Took the last pain pill last night, so it hurts a bit.  Dragged DH and toddler to Aldi and Lidl this afternoon.  I bought rather a lot and got what we needed for DD16s sleepover tomorrow.  She is going to the twin's B-day party in the afternoon then they are coming back here with her after for a sleepover.  Mom has 2 sets of twin girls, (16, 2) an older son who is out of the house and is due with another baby like yesterday.  Taking some of the pressure off their mom by having them over here to make chaos in my kitchen and pool for their birthday.

I got everything I need to make Korean BBQ tomorrow night.  I just need to get the beef and tofu in some marinades, season the boneless pork ribs, and make myself a cheat sheet for making the sides.  We're having spiced shred carrots, cucumber salad, green onion slaw, Korean mushrooms, spinach dish, lettuce wraps for the meat, potstickers, kimchi, and some rice noodles for the carb.  I'm also making a miso mushroom soup as the hotpot part.  I'm going to let them either make oreo brownies or these galaxy cupcakes (chocolate cupcake, purple frosting, interesting sprinkles.)  I also have assorted fruit--plums, watermelon, blackberries, strawberries.  I'm thinking bacon & French toast with fruit out of the brown bread (German type) for breakfast and leftover Korean for lunch on Sunday.  

• Like 3

Euphrosyne, it sounds like you are going to be very busy.  Glad your wrist is doing better. But still take it easy with it for a while. I know they will all enjoy the party. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on using up things out of the freezer. This last week, I pulled out Hawaiian brats and chicken legs. Made the brats on Thursday and Friday I fried the chicken legs and fried garden corn/bell pepper/onion (frozen from last year) in the brat grease. 😋 

Yesterday, DH pulled out ham, venison cheddar/onion sausages, and a single chicken breast. He’s been munching on the sausages (they’re good cold with crackers). We made bean soup with the ham. I’m thinking alfredo or chick/noodles with the chicken. Probably alfredo. 

• Like 2

I have been emptying the 2 small freezers from the 2 refrigerator freezers. One is halfway empty the other still a bit more in it.  But tonight, I am having leftovers. I made pot roast the other day so going to finish that off tonight. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Last weekend while we were at the farm, DS1 grilled a pork tenderloin over open fire and I made butter noodles on the Coleman camp stove. It was a hit!! We didn’t even need knives to cut it. :yum3:

3F4D7B9C-EDA6-4EFE-BC0F-B896ADBE9534.png

7F75035B-B81E-402B-9DB5-77442AD243DF.jpeg

• Like 4

That looks really good Necie.   I need to finish getting my grill bac together so I can start using it again.  took it all apart to give it a really good cleaning and just have to clean the racks. They are sitting in plastic now with oven cleaner on them. It worked really well for the grates for kitchen stove so now doing the grates for the grill. 

• Like 2

Canned venison and noodles on the camp stove. :feedme: DS1 said they’re the best he’s had with store bought noodles. Told him to toss in a stick of unsalted butter next time he makes them. :wink(2):

And, why YES, that IS Polish china being used while camping. :laughkick:

A4924B03-E8D9-4700-BC03-95D716BA37F6.jpeg

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

DS2 got his pigs butchered and we got one of them. The pigs were still pretty young (200-250# live weight). Not much fat on them and very tender. DH loves the sausage— good flavor, not greasy, and they don’t shrink up.
DS1 grilled pork chops (charcoal) at the farm for us on Thursday. 
Tonight we had BLTs with a pkg of the bacon. 
I got more pork chops out for DH to grill tomorrow. 

• Like 4