MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What’s Cookin’?

We used to have our pigs butchered just a little above that weight.  Closer to 300# live weight.  The meat was still tender yet we could get some lard from them.  We also used as much of the pig as possible and made head cheese, which isn’t cheese but a gelled cold sandwich meat utilizing the cleaned head, and scrapple, a grain and meat breakfast loaf made with the scraps of meat.  Our butcher always said he could give us everything but the squeal and he usually did.  There is nothing better than young pork on the grill unless maybe it’s smoked! Pork! :happy0203:  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Littlesister said:

A few stores around here use to sell pigs feet but haven't seen them in a long while. 

The little country store that I worked at has pickled pig feet, pig lips and ham hocks.

• Like 3

My mom and I used to gnaw on them. Every Friday, in Indiana, we would watch a scary movie on Fright Night with Selwin and drink coke. The day of, she would put coke in ice cube trays to freeze. That way when it melted it wasn't watered down from ice cubes. I was around 4-5 years old. I wasn't aware I was eating real pigs feet. I thought that was just a cute name. One of my first memories is of pickled pigs feet. I still remember how the pickle juice/brine tasted and the glass jar they came in. Saturday it was American Band Stand with Dick Clark. I think I was either in kindergarten or getting ready to go in. 

Pig lips??? That's a new one on me. I'm not gonna Google it. From someone who can't even eat chicken off of the bones.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I bought a half pig once and when I asked for the feet too, they said I could have everyone's feet, because nobody else wanted them.

Would have been nice if they had taken off the hooves or hair.  One pig was blonde, two were spotted, one had solid black ankles.

• Like 4

I’ve cleaned a few pigs feet, lips, heads, and a lot more porcine parts and I have to say it’s a lot easier to pay the butcher to do it.  Our son has a nice butchering area set up in his garage and besides fish, deer, and other game he butchers two or three pigs a year.  A friend usually helps and a few of his kids help too but he doesn’t save the odd parts as being too much work for the return.  He says he’s a butcher not a barber!!!  :laughkick:He does make all his own sausage, hams, bacon, and etc. though. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
On 8/3/2024 at 11:44 AM, Jeepers said:

Pig lips??? That's a new one on me. I'm not gonna Google it. From someone who can't even eat chicken off of the bones.  :grinning-smiley-044: 

LOL...I thought we were the only ones who could not eat chicken off the bone!!! I have been told numerous time I was "broken" because I just can't do it. My kids are the same!!!

Down here you never know what you may find in a cooler or on the counter. Pigs feet, Pig lips....a whole frozen head in the cooler. But I'm not having any of it. NOPE

• Like 1
  • Haha 3