MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Are You Canning Today??

• 1 month later...

I got 12 half pints of salsa. It's nice and thick. I just used Mrs. Wages mild salsa and 6 lb. cans of fancy diced tomatoes from GFS. I think I used 2 packs and 2 cans. I'm not really sure right now. But I'd like to make another batch. 

20240909_143641.jpg

• Like 3

I got 28 pints of spaghetti sauce. 4 packs of Mrs. Wages and I think 3  6lb. cans of fancy tomato sauce and 1  6lb. can of fancy diced tomatoes from GFS. The taste is good but spicy. Herbal spicy not hot spicy. Basil, oregano, garlic spicy. 

20240909_153030.jpg

• Like 5

Looks great, Jeepers.  Maybe you need to arrange them artfully on the counters to show prospective buyers what can be accomplished in  that nice kitchen.  Especially if it smells like salsa or sauce.  :happy0203:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They would certainly look better than the big bunch of fake sunflowers the realtor brought over to stage the house with. IMO  I figured if I have a looker came through while I'm canning, I'll leave them out to show what the smell is. They are purdy. And real.  :D

• Like 5

I got 20 pints of pizza sauce. I was right about the siphoning. It looks like every one of them did. I was really careful with the head space. They all sealed though so I'm hopeful. :shrug:

I'm done with all the tomato products for the next couple of years now unless I make another round of salsa. I only did 12 half pints of those. I have the stuff here to make it. 

Oops, two didn't seal but I recanned them with the Bar-B-Q sauce. 

Look at those beautiful Kerr jars. :D

20240910_124954.jpg

• Like 3

WARNING: REBEL CANNING! NOT RECOMMENDED! DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO. 

Mods if you want to move this down to a different forum, I'm perfectly fine with that.  

I thought these jars were quarter pints but they are half pints. Kerr wide mouth half pints are squatty looking whereas the regular mouth half pint Kerr jars look like regular Ball half pints. I think I knew that but forgot. I do like these jars for some things though. I canned Sauerkraut in them a few months ago and I think I'll do a case of salsa in them. If I can still find another case. These are the only Kerr jars east of the Mississippi River Wal-Mart sells. Anyway...

I pressure canned 36 half pints of Sweet Baby Ray's Bar-B-Q sauce. I just got the regular kind. I plan to use it for dipping sauce for chicken and pork chunks. 

They all turned out nice. 

20240910_130016.jpg

• Like 3

36 half pints of onions in plain vinegar. It was an experiment to see how I like them. I like them this way fresh so I'll see. At first they all floated to the top but they settled down when they cooled.  

Not a good picture. They are clear in person and not at all cloudy. Might be the lighting. 

20240910_205820.jpg

• Like 3

We always had a bowl of cucumbers and onions soaking in the fridge, in the summer, when I was growing up. I would have added cukes if I would have used bigger jars. These were Vidalia onions I found at Meijers. I sliced nearly 2 bags and didn't shed one tear. They must be pretty mild.