MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We are going to see a lot more diabetics because of the sugar going into canned foods. I have been reading the labels when I am at the store and a lot of foods that didn't have sugar before now has sugar.  I am a diabetic and cannot buy that stuff and I am not supposed to be eating soy either due to thyroid issues.  All this does make it hard to find good food anymore. Though I do know a couple of farms that grow organic foods, and I am going to try to hit those when the produce starts coming in around here.  Right now, it is coming from NC to the farm markets. But not sure if it is organic or not. 

• Sad 1

Yogi organic Immune Support tea products were recently recalled due to pesticides. Nearly 900,000 bags. Trust nothing. 

There was a really good documentary a couple of years ago about farmers markets. It might have been from Canada. They showed where "farmers" were going to produce manufacturers and buying fruit/veg from them and selling it at farmers markets as being home grown organic. If I can ever find it again I'll post it. It was eye opening. 

• Sad 2

Good article OOTO. 

:soapbox:

As a side note to that, genetically altered foods are the reason it's important to follow modern canning procedures. Not just because grandma did it this way and lived. Food and soil aren't the same any more. Please don't water bath food when pressure canning is required. There is a YouTube channel that water baths everything for hours. People love her. Sigh. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Please don't water bath food when pressure canning is required.

The same holds true for steam canning and even foreign processing practices.  The situation and the foods may not always be the same.  Use good common sense. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

There was a really good documentary a couple of years ago about farmers markets. It might have been from Canada. They showed where "farmers" were going to produce manufacturers and buying fruit/veg from them and selling it at farmers markets as being home grown organic. If I can ever find it again I'll post it. It was eye opening. 

We had this problem at our farmer’s market under the old director. We’ve been selling there (handmade items) since 2009. When the new director took over, about 5 yrs ago, he put a stop to it. Problem was... it was the Amish. They would go to local produce auctions on Thursday and bring it in Saturday morning. Sweet corn in May? Those great big, huge boxes of melons (like you see at WM) in June? If customers questioned them, their pat answer was: “We have a hothouse.” The new director put his foot down and said “Only homegrown and only in season!!” We lost a couple of big sellers and the ones that are still there will still sneak a few things in... last week it was obvious hydroponic butter crunch lettuce right next to garden grown leaf lettuce, some commercial radishes and green onions. If you know, you know. Problem is... most don’t. 😒

• Like 3

Necie, we have that problem in Ohio too. Across the street from Lehmans is a flea market, fruit/vegie market and animal auction every Thursday. You can tell some of it isn't home grown because it all looks too perfect and a lot of it is out of season. Way out of season. And we aren't growing bananas and oranges up here either. One guy is always there in the same spot every year. He's non-Amish. 

• Like 3

Since DH and I were cooking collards at the Bennett's creek market, we knew where all the fresh produce came from.  DH's cousin would send someone to SC to pick up things that were in season before NC or VA. Then from NC he would send someone to pick up produce at a farm that DH and I used to go to, so we knew what was in season and what was not. Then when VA had the produce in season, He got it from the farms in VA. I want to go to the place in NC again to see what they have. But don't want to go by myself. Don't think my neighbor is ready to make that trip yet. It's on the way to Nags head. Might see when my DD is off later when things start coming in. Now with the changes in zones I am not sure what is what yet as far as when things come in now. Need to check those out.