MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dental Question

This is the closest forum I could find to match the question I want to ask. :huh:

If anyone has any information or experience on the common practices of a dental office I have a question I would like to ask.

If, on your first visit to a dental office, you were told that you "needed" to purchase a periodontal tray "delivery system for medication" and this system was not covered by insurance, BUT, you were also diagnosed with and had a need to have a tooth extracted on one side of your mouth, and needed a crown on the other side, would it be common practice to create the mold for the dental trays prior to the other work being completed??? 

I hope this makes sense. :scratchhead: Any knowledge of common dental practices that you could share would be appreciated.

Any insights or opinions? Any questions or clarification needed in order to give an answer? Ask away. :bounce:

Something doesn't sound right on that.  I have had 2 crowns, and the dentist didn't have be buy a tray of anything. He made a temporary cap then after he did measurements for a new cap. He had to send the measurements off for the cap and when it came in he just took off the temporary one and placed the new one in. All he did for pain was Nova cane it. I would be getting a second opinion on that. Sounds like a gemic to make more money. 

• Like 2

I have no idea either. I don't have dental insurance. If I remember correctly. The only time I had to have a mold of my mouth was when I got my braces. I never had one with an extraction nor a cap. I don't think. It's been awhile. 

The only medicine delivery I ever got was nitrous oxide (laughing gas, yes I'm a baby) that just clipped on my nose and a shot of novocaine. 

What kind of medicine delivery are they talking about? Complete sedation with an IV? 

I think I'd be getting a second opinion too. It doesn't seem right to me either. I'd think that whatever they do would be a complete package and not itemized before they even work on you. :shrug:

• Like 2

It's a "system" for "delivery" of "medication" for periodontal disease. Supposedly each "tray" is custom molded to your mouth so you can put the solution in it and then wear it for a few minutes once or twice a day. It is not covered by insurance and was "sold" to me on the very first visit; and I had to open a "Care Credit" account to pay for it. Next thing I knew they were making a "cast" of my mouth - as it was - pre extraction and pre crown. 

The rest of the story is pretty long, and involved. It is the attempt on my part to get this sale refunded. So far I have been unsuccessful, but I am hoping to find out if creating the "custom made" mold for the treatment delivery tray (prior to the other mouth altering events) is customery and normal, or could be used as an additional reason to force a refund. (> $1000)

• Like 1

Oh I think I get it. They made a mold of my mouth so they could make a retainer type of thing for me to wear at night after the braces were removed. I think it was similar to what they call an invisaline thing now. It was clear plastic and hard. It kept my teeth from shifting back.

But, I could use it to put a solution in to whiten my teeth. So that is probably what they are talking about for you. If you just have to wear it a short time to keep the med on your teeth and gums, I wonder if a regular mouth guard, like kids wear to protect their teeth in sports, would work? You can get them almost any place. You put the guard in boiling water until it softens then when it cools down enough, you put it in your mouth to form a tray like guard. Your dentist probably wouldn't go for that though. $$$$$  But I think it would be the same concept. A tray to keep the med on your teeth and gums. Look up invisalign and see what I'm talking about. That's exactly what I had after the braces and it doubled for a teeth whitener tray. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Your dentist probably wouldn't go for that though. $$$$$  But I think it would be the same concept. A tray to keep the med on your teeth and gums. 

7 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I know exactly what you are talking about.  You can buy those kits and much cheaper than a dentist 

I "know" all of that, now. Didn't then. Keep trying to find reasons why they sold me something I didn't need, and/or made it incorrectly, etc so I can force a refund to the credit card. That is why I was wondering if it is "common practice" or even makes any sense why they would create the tray for a teeth profile that would be changing - and they knew it would change. :scratchhead: But, I need an "authoritative" source I think and not just opinion.

• Like 1

At first I wasn't sure what you meant by a 'tray'. Most of the time when medical people talk about a tray they mean a whole set up for something such as a surgical tray that includes scalpel, sutures, sponges, drape etc. Including the actual tray. 

In your case, your teeth alignment probably wouldn't change that much. At least not to affect the delivery of the medicines? That tray, (IE. mouth guard, or in my case a retainer, basically all the same) is just to keep the meds on your gums for an extended period of time and not just a mouth wash. And from what you said, a very short period of time daily. It isn't like you have to wear it all night. Assuming I'm understanding correctly.

If you are concerned about your alignment changing and you think you need the tray, tell him you only want to be fitted for it after all of the work is done. I really don't think it would matter though. Your tray isn't meant to change you teeth or to keep them in a certain position. It's only purpose is to keep medicine in place for a certain amount of time. 

BTW, I am not a dentist, orthodontist, periodontist, oral surgeon or any other form of oral professional. I only play one on the internet. Ya gets whats ya pay for here.  :happy0203:

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

If you are concerned about your alignment changing and you think you need the tray, tell him you only want to be fitted for it after all of the work is done. I really don't think it would matter though. Your tray isn't meant to change you teeth or to keep them in a certain position. It's only purpose is to keep medicine in place for a certain amount of time. 

The "tray" was cast on the very first visit! However, it was not delivered in a timely manner - it was 8 mos later that I finally inquired as to where it was, and it still took a few months, plus a dispute, for them to say it was ready to be picked up. By the end of the 8+ months (and before the dispute) I was seriously considering whether the "treatment" was necessary at all. I mean, if it was such an "emergency" that they needed to get the periodontal treatments to me ASAP (thus the "need" for casting the mold on the very first visit), why did it take so long? I concluded that it really hadn't been the "emergency" that they presented it to be, and thus asked them to cancel the order. At this point they said that the trays were "custom molded" to each client's mouth, and while I could cancel the treatment system, I would still have to pay for the trays. Mind you, at this point in time I had no evidence that they had actually been created at this point. They told me that they would locate the trays (if created) and have them at my next appt. - which was 2 months later! Guess what? Yep. Still not trays. At this point I contacted Care Credit and opened a dispute - which I "lost."

But typing this out makes me wonder, on what date were the trays actually cast? Before the request for the refund, or after? This is something that I hadn't thought of before and I think I will call Synchrony Bank tomorrow and ask them to look into that detail. Thanks for giving me food for thought! (We're talking about $1500 here!!!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That is way too much money for a simple tray. And 8 months is too long to deliver the goods. I'd be fighting it tooth (no pun intended) and nail too!

Here's another thing. Okay, I had a hard plastic retainer tray to keep my teeth from reverting back after the braces. I was in my 40's when I had braces so naturally the teeth would want to go back to their original place. It was just like the invisalign kind. Probably the same thing. I only needed it for my uppers. And they do fit snugly.

BUT, the dentist also made a cheaper more pliable one for my lower teeth at the same time. It's only purpose was to hold whitening solution against my teeth. I don't remember what it cost but it was flimsy and did what it was supposed to do. It was more of a cosmetic appliance. But they are cheap to make. When he took my impression AFTER an extraction and AFTER the braces came off, he made the hard retainer and a soft cheap one. He supplied the whitening solution or I wouldn't have bothered. 

I wonder if OTC whitening kits have a the materials in them to make your own tray? 

I wouldn't be using that dentist for anything. He is in it only for the money at your expense.  And he should be calling it a 'dental appliance.'  IMO. If you end up having to pay, take that tray to someone else and tell them they can supply the medication but you will supply the tray. If you even need the treatment. :motz_6:

• Like 1

Oh yeah, try to find out when the appliance was made. 8 months ago or after you disputed the charge. Could be very important. Would be interesting to know just how much a dentist is charged by the company making the trays. Bet it isn't any way near $1,500.00. 

• Like 1