MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you know, you know? No. If you know, you're older than dirt!

I thought of putting this in the homeschool forum, but I'm not sure this "search engine" is even available at your local library anymore!   :huh:   IF it is, don't forget to have those 3x5 index cards at the ready! :bow:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

firstsearchengine.jpg.5aa7462eced1bb45263c38e38dff8b07.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4
  • Midnightmom changed the title to If you know, you know? No. If you know, you're older than dirt!

Oh my gosh. I certainly remember the old card catalog files and the dewy decimal system. And back then you had to look up the last name followed by a comma then the first name. 

I can remember, as a kid looking through the card catalog and going through the alphabet in my mind while looking up something. I wasn't always the sharpest crayon in the tool box. :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My good friend and I worked in the H.S. library.  I was rather appalled when touring it a few years ago.  Where's all the books? I asked our guide (school principle).  He pointed to the computers.  They only keep a few fiction books there now. 

MtRider  :(    

• Sad 4

I spent every spare moment in the library.  I started as a freshman, sorting and pre-filing cards for all the new books as the library quadrupled its size.  (My brother was in the second graduating class.)  My second year, there was a new librarian, who was delighted to know I could handle the cards.  She found one error in the first 300 she checked, none after that, and eventually told me she hadn't bothered checking after the first thousand.  I had a laminated "permanent pass" to the library.  A few of my teachers gave me the final exam in the first week of class and told me if I was content with that grade, I could go to the library every day instead of taking up their time in class.  I begged others to do the same, to no avail.  (I would go for roll call, then slip out without a word, or sometimes just effectively skip if the teacher wasn't good at taking roll.)

Edited by Ambergris
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mt. Rider that is sad. 

At one point I had it in my mind that I owed back fines at our public library from when I was a kid. But I wasn't sure. I mean 60 years ago? About 10 years ago my cousin and I were visiting in the little town and we wanted to check out the old stomping grounds. I had an ulterior motive. That library looked nothing like either one of us remembered. It somehow had gotten so small. We just sort of stood there and looked at each other in disbelief. You would think with the card catalog drawers gone there would have been more books. Not the case. It was very disappointing. It's the county seat library so I can only imagine what all the branches look like. 

It turned out I didn't owe anything. However my indiscretion would have happened before computers so I was probably lost in the cracks. So, I bought $100. worth of bookplates in my mother's name to be placed in all of their Amish books and can now, finally, hold my head up high again. Any left over to go in breast cancer books. There aren't a lot of books in that library so I probably got both sections covered. 

You know, if you think about something for that long, you're probably guilty. Or at least carrying some sort of a burden. At any rate, I feel better. And my mommy's name is plastered in all the Amish books and a couple of breast cancer books too. :pout:

• Like 4

Yeah, what happens if the Lights Go Out?   :runcirclsmiley2:

I need more How To Fix It books!!!!    :reading:

AND NEW (stronger!) READER GLASSES!  :yar:...cuz the print in my paperback books KEEPS SHRINKING!  :blink: 

MtRider  .......  :sigh: 

• Like 1

I got some really nice how-to books at borders one year. They are huge. They were a dollar a pound. And they were 5 pounds each. I think they were called something like books by the pound. Or maybe 5 pounds for five dollars. Nice easy how-to for home repair with easy to follow pictures. 

• Like 2

I miss the Borders bookstore. They closed down here many years ago. All we have now is Barns and Nobles. Good store but I really liked borders best. I do know where a few used bookstores are though. I go there when I have the time.

Seems libraries have gone by the side of computers. I don't like that. Would rather have the physical book.

We have a wonderful system in my county. It was ranked one of the best in the country not long ago. They must have been given grants because all of the little suburbs around me all got brand new libraries. I will really miss that because I have about 8 libraries within less than 10 miles from me. Plus, if you are a senior, they will deliver books to your house. And no late fees for seniors.  :sEm_blush:

GS uses the one in Indiana about 2 times a week but I don't know how good it is. 

I really miss Borders too.  :(

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I do know where a few used bookstores are though. I go there when I have the time.

Our local GoodWill store has an extensive book section. Do you have one nearby?

• Like 2

Midnightmom, I have a goodwill bookstore just down the street from me. Been in there a few times when dropping off items. I have found a couple of books in there I liked. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

We have a newer bookstore over here called Off The Wall or something like that. I keep meaning to check it out but it's sort of hidden in the corner of a strip mall and I never think about it. 

Wall Of Books is what it's called.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeepers
Remembered the name
  • Like 1

Our thrift store's book section is not big.  They outgrew their old store and built a big one....and now it's so crowded you can't push a cart thru most of it easily. 

We've slowly collected a library of Post-Hooey reference books.  Like medicinal plants, old time recipes, Dr Bones and Nurse Amy's medical (no doc available) book.  They're stacked handy....to go out the door if we have to. 

MtRider  :reading: 

• Like 1

I haven't been to the library in a long while.  I need to get back to going, but every time I think I have the time something else comes up. Grandchildren can sure keep you busy. 

• Like 1