MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How hot is it............................................?

:laughkick:     I remember driving/camping thru the length of CA back a loooong time ago.  One day C and I just sat in a creek and read books with the cool water flowing by. 

MtRider   ....be careful out there, Midnight!   :knary: 

• Like 2

About 2 decades back, I fried an egg on a metal chair (ice cream diner chair painted black) in my back yard in MS.  Truth.  There were pics, but they were pre-digital and in a scrapbook.  When I was in college, I worked in catering for a BBQ place.  I used to love going into the walk in freezer.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3

Cars get so hot. I've got it from a buckle on the sear belt. And I still get a quick burn sometimes when I rest my arm on the open window ledge after the sun has been baking it. I can't imagine 119 degrees. I'd be passed out from the heat most of the time. I couldn't do it for very long. 

• Like 4

I can't handle muggy humid hot weather.  When it gets up over 94* I'm done. I think this is going to be one of our hottest summers yet. 

Potholders for driving is a good idea with 119* weather. I can't image weather that hot. 

Euphrasyne, I think what you did frying that egg on a hot metal chair gave the term it's so hot you can fry an egg on the sidewalk. It is definitely hot enough to do that. If it hits the fan, we can have a new way to cook on really hot days. 

I have been moving my car up under a shade tree and rolling down all the windows on these hot days when not raining. Plus have both my windshield and back window covered with those window covers. It does help. 

• Like 2

So....we're UP IN THE MOUNTAINS.....around 8,500'.  You know:  the place that had 3 FEET of SNOW in April?   :frozen: 

Today I was astonished to see we'd crawled right over the 80's and were working our way past 95*  :blink:   What?  On the day I have to travel in our minimally air-conditioned car, to a doc appointment that can't be missed or you get another one in 6 months.  Yikes! 

Left the dog behind, of course.  Packed the soft, padded knapsack/cooler with ICE PACKS and Gel packs sandwiched together.  Usually we leave the ice packs in the cooler and trade out the gel packs and switch when one warms up.  Sometimes I'm directly putting ice packs on my skin but I've been putting them on me with a gel pack between me and ice pack.  (frostbite in 95* weather would be stupid) :rolleyes: 

Yeah, I was doing that in the exam room when doc walks in.  She was fast today and I still had the shakes from the ordeal of surviving the trip to town.  It is air conditioned in that bldg but ...I could have used a restaurant cooler to sit in for a while.  I did calm my system down after a bit.  My internal temp was normal for me.  But good golly I was getting hot. 

After the doc appt. and visiting the vampire department to give a donation :rolleyes:  (which said thyroid is still ok)  we had to get into The Car again.  But a trip thru Wendy's drive up window produced 2 chocolate Frosties.  That hit the inside and with the sun about to go down, it wasn't nearly as hot on the return trip.  Half of my Frosty is in our freezer for another time.  But....I didn't walk with dog tonite.  :0327:   Just drains me!  

So....stay safe - as cool as you can in our heat wave. 

MtRider  :hi: 

• Like 2

I really actually miss MS in the summer.   The heat and humidity are in my blood.  I'm currently running the AC for the upper portions of the house and a small space heater under my desk because my office is freezing.   It definately looks like rain and we've been getting a few drizzles all morning.  It has been raining off and on for about 3 or 4 days now.  Yea hurricane season.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We have a chance for rain the next 4 days after today. I don't think it's hurricane related though. I had to delete my radar app on the phone because it kept freezing up. Also the ads were annoying. I'll be so glad to get a laptop going again. 

@euphrasyne  How is your wrist coming along? 

• Like 3

I am going to have to have Occupational Therapy after all.   I have arthritis in it now as per the doc saying it is bad enough to show up on the X-rays.  Rain makes it worse.  Getting old has its perks and its problems.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Euphrosyne, you are so right about rain making it worse. I have arthritis in my hands, neck and right shoulder.  Every time it rains the pain is worse. especially in my fingers.  Therapy will help with range of motion, but for arthritis it's hard to tell how it will do. Just hope all goes well and your wrist will heal and not cause you any more issues. 

• Like 3

Mostly problems. Glad you are still able to use it though. No. More. Falling! You've had more than your share of falls and breaks.

Euphrasyne in Bubble Wrap => 😶‍🌫️

• Like 3

Euphrasyne.....it's either bubble wrap or judo lessons - to learn HOW to fall nicely.   :whistling:    :hug3:

I've been threatened with bubble wrap on more than one occasion.  Honestly, if I didn't have nearly 20 years of martial arts (a bit of gymnastics) training, I'd be in far worse shape.  I can fall once a week.....{but I'd deny it if any govt. types around here caught that scent.}  Yeah, bubble wrap, indeed!  :grinning-smiley-044:  Other than twisted ankles (they're loose and cause a lot of falls) I don't really get injured.  Ouch...yes.  Not injury.  Coworker on Maui in the kayaking job threatened to stamp on my forehead:  THIS END UP!!!  :rolleyes:   In my defense (weak defense cuz I've always fallen a lot) the MS was definitely getting worse at that point.  :shrug:  

Unfortunately, most folks can't start martial arts when they're past 30 yr old.  However, Tai Chi ....is the slow motion forms that the Chinese elders do in the parks daily.  Strength and flexibility.  That's a possibility for anyone who doesn't want/can't to get into wild moves.  DH joined at the library but they couldn't keep it going.  I'd even try it...tho my reflexes are trained for MUCH harsher moves.   I'd end up going too fast...  :rolleyes:  How does one balance in 'slo mo' ??? 

Anyway, hard to hear of your struggles with falling.  :( 

MtRider  :pray:  

• Like 2

If you have a bad knee, you will learn fast how to balance in slow motion. I am moving and walking much slower because my knee wants to make a wrong move. It's not pretty. 

Guess that is one of the things we need to work around in our old age. 

Right now, we are back in the hot zone. 98* and a 109-heat index. it is hot outside and going to be for a week. This is definitely going to be a very hot summer. 

• Sad 2

RIP Richard Simmons. I loved doing his Sweatin' To The Oldies tapes. Loved them so much I put them on DVD's. Great music and not too fast. You could walk through them if you wanted to.  I'm going to start back on them when I move. If I can find them. Sweet man. 

I see where sons are going to get storms today and they are likely headed in my path. Suppose to start raining here tonight through Thursday. Temps are staying around 80. It's been windy here for 3 days. 

• Like 3

The Sweatin' ones were the only ones I could do. I started out slow and couldn't get through even one of them. I ended up just walking through them. By a few months I was doing a couple of them at a time. Good music and really encouraging. 

• Like 2