MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

BRIDGES! How do you feel about driving over 'em???

Me no like being so high over water for so long. :blink:   And it makes me dizzy (sometimes) to drive through those iron beams!

Saw this video on YT tonight and it reminded me of a trip my son and daughter and I took to Canada back in 2001. We drove up I-5 into Canada and I had contemplated taking a leisurely drive home along the Coast. But I saw a map-book in Barnes and Noble of the bridges we would have to cross and very quickly decided it was a hard pass for me! Seeing this vid and taking the "virtual drive" has re-affirmed that I made a good choice back then.

-----------------------------------

This is why I decided to drive inland down I-5 on the way home from our trip to Canada in 2001 instead of taking the "scenic" route along the coast.
Pretty to look at, but "scary" (to me) to drive across. Plus, there are soooooooooooooo many of them!!!
  • Like 2

I'm not afraid of bridges either. I have however been stuck on the James River bridge due to either accidents or bridge lifts. The Newport News shipyard is on the Newport News side of the bridge so ships going under either heading to or from the shipyard. Lots of fishing boats as well. That bridge used to be a 2-lane bridge and known as the 5-mile bridge. And was since rebuilt to be a 4-lane bridge. Been stuck on that one many times. The Mills Godwin Bridge Is a shorter one and I also have been stuck on that one a few times again being accidents. There is also the Monitor Merrimac bridge which is also a tunnel. That one is the only one I have never gotten stuck on.  We have the Midtown tunnel and the Downtown tunnel that I have been stuck in a few times back when I used to work at the Heart surgeons there. Been stuck in a couple of times since then also. We have the East Coast Bridge which is very long that heads out to the Eastern Shore. Never got stuck on that one yet. Then there is the Churchland bridge which is again being rebuilt. Stuck on that one a few times as well. 

MidnightMom, I think Oregon has us beat around here with those long bridges. Though I have to say that was some very pretty scenery. 

• Like 1

I don't mind them too much but I have found that, sometimes I can get a little bit dizzy on the long ones. Not bad. Just a little off. I think it's because I'm trying to focus in front of me and not be tempted to look off to side at the pretty scenery. I have to cross a small one over the Maumee River going to and from Indy. It isn't bad but I'm always on the lookout for someone crossing in my lane if they aren't paying attention to where they are going. It's a big river with a beautiful view of the Toledo skyline to the north. A big temptation to look over there. 

The scariest one was when I was a kid in Florida and we went up and across the Sunshine Skyway bridge in St. Pete. I still remember that. I hovered around the floorboard in the backseat of the car. There were a lot of causeways there that seemed to be one wave from being underwater. We seemed to be on a couple in Clearwater often. I was a kid then (under 10 yrs old) so there were probably adults goading me on. However, as an adult, I have Google driven over that bridge and my first inclinations were probably correct. 

I have Google driven over the Lake Pontchartrain bridge. It's about 24 miles. Nearly at water level. It took so long to get across that I fast forwarded through some of it. I couldn't imagine using that bridge often just because of the boredom factor and having to keep your eyes peeled on the road. I can't glance around when I'm driving on a big bridge. 

I'm the same way driving in the mountain tunnels in PA. No room for error in those things if someone gets too close to you. I stay in the right lane and hope everyone stays in their own lane and that I don't get too close to the wall. And that the tunnel lights stay on. And that it doesn't cave in. I guess I'm not a big fan of those isolated mountain tunnels. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I have Google driven over the Lake Pontchartrain bridge. It's about 24 miles. Nearly at water level. It took so long to get across that I fast forwarded through some of it. I couldn't imagine using that bridge often just because of the boredom factor and having to keep your eyes peeled on the road. I can't glance around when I'm driving on a big bridge. 

I have actually driven over the Lake Pontchartrain bridge.... back in the early 70's when I was much "braver" (or more foolish?) than I am now. At the time it was a single 2 lane causeway with lanes going in opposite directions. There wasn't any "shoulder" that I remember and there definitely wasn't a "pullout" like there is now. The sides of the bridge were about as high as those concrete abutments that can be moved around by cranes, so I suppose that made it feel "cozy" and secure. 

Would I do it again? Well, yes......................................... I did take the "google drive" like Jeepers did. 

Would I physically do it again? NOPE. I would rather take the looooooooooooooooong route around the lake along the shoreline!

• Like 2

Bridges do not bother me in general.  I've been over Lake Pontchartrain more than 100 times.  Once in bad weather and the water came up to the bridge and starting to lap over the side a bit on the very edge while we were in the middle of it.  That one freaked me out a bit.  

We have a lot of bridges around here, but we also have several tunnels.  Anytime we want to go anywhere around here, we usually have a bridge or tunnel or both to pass through.  The Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel is about 23 miles long.  The tunnel itself is about a mile.  We usually take the midtown tunnel which is shorter (and goes to a different place.)

59491ee789d0e211a80bd117.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

Great picture of the Chesapeake Bay bridge Euphrosyne. I got my brain stuck on the Eastern Shore and was calling the bridge that.  Been across that one a couple of times.  Been a few wrecks where the truck or car went over the bridge over the last couple of years.

• Like 2

Beautiful picture. How does that work? 

Those mountain tunnels seem too narrow. They are two lanes. People are supposed to stay in their lane and maintain their same speed while entering the tunnel. That helps keep people from passing. But that doesn't work out very well. It's daunting being in there with semi trucks whizzing by. Or riding right beside you.  I usually have a death grip on the steering wheel.  

The worst thing is when the tunnel next to it, going in the opposite direction, is closed. That traffic is diverted into my tunnel. Then you have oncoming traffic heading straight toward you. I think there are 4 tunnels on the PA turnpike I have to go through when I go over there. Two are close together. I've never had the pleasure of going through them at night. 🫣

• Like 3

Jeepers, with our tunnels you are not allowed to pass, and the speed limit is 35 miles per hour. Unless it has changed recently. The Chesapeake Bay bridge where it looks like the bridge ends and just water and then the bridge begins is another tunnel right there. You go under water into the tunnel and then back out on the other side. 

On the Chesapeake Bay bridge there used to be a rest stop but I'm not sure if that is still there or not. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

The Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel is about 23 miles long.  The tunnel itself is about a mile. 

10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

On the Chesapeake Bay bridge there used to be a rest stop but I'm not sure if that is still there or not. 

We crossed the Bridge/Tunnel back in 1979 on our way to Virginia Beach for our honeymoon.  And yes, hubby was driving!

There are now people who make a living by driving people from one side to the other. You start out on the side of the bay you live on and drive someone to the other side. Then you find someone going the other way who doesn't want to do the drive for themselves either. You keep doing this until you're tired or made enough money for the day and are on YOUR side of the bay. then ya go home.

Take a virtual drive over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Everyone just goes through the tunnels all willy nilly.  If you do 35, you are going to get run over.  Most everyone does 50+ through them.  They are single direction, 2 lane and go under the water.  They are made so boats/ships can sail over them.  I don't ever see anyone stopping to let someone else drive them over.  That is no longer a thing and there is nowhere to pull over.  There are no longer any toll booths anywhere.  Everything is EZPass now and it is a transponder that attaches to your windshield.  If you don't use EZPass, they take a pic of your license and mail you a bill for twice as much as using the EZPass.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

That is true euphrasyne,  the speed for those tunnels is faster but the downtown and midtown are 35 miles per hour.  People still speed through those tunnels as well unless there is a back log of cars going through.  Been a long time since I have been on the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel.  The rest stop that used to be there when it was first built is no longer there in that video. So, it's a drive straight though now.  My SIL when he was driving a truck went over that bridge twice a day every day. 

• Like 2

That one doesn't look too bad. At least it's nice and bright. The ones through the mountain looks like Fred Flintstone from the Bedrock Stone Quarry built them.

I wonder if people speed through them just to hurry up and get out. Also knowing there are no police down there. 

I read on Google thst there are people who will drive you if you are afraid. It's a service like Uber. One place you can call a day ahead and make a reservation for a driver. And another service is if it's windy and you have mounts on your vehicle like for a bike or overhead storage, someone will take it to the other side for you in a, what I presume is a van. These are private companies and not a service provided. 

There is no toll on the ones in PA because you are already on the toll road. I'm surprised they don't charge extra just because they can.

Fun Fact: It was born about 3 weeks after I was. Think of that when you pass through, it's 72 years old.  :o

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Been a long time since I have been on the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel.  The rest stop that used to be there when it was first built is no longer there in that video.

So I'm not crazy. There really used to be a stop there. :sSig_thankyou:

• Like 1

Midnightmom, yes there really was one. My DH and I had stopped there to rest a while before continuing on. It was rather nice.  Don't know why they removed it though. It was back in the early 80's when we went across it the first time.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 weeks later...

My husband does all of the out of town driving for our household. I am only willing to drive in NY State. For some reason, I find driving extremely stressful...especially on unfamiliar roads.

That being said, I am the one who takes photos of cool bridges and scenery while he drives. I am hoping that we can plan atrip to Prince Edward Island, CA next summer. If so, we will be traveling on the 8-mile long Confederation Bridge.

CBC.CA - Seven Wonders of Canada - Your Nominations - Confederation Bridge,  Prince Edward Island/New Brunswick

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
2 hours ago, themartianchick said:

That being said, I am the one who takes photos of cool bridges and scenery while he drives. I am hoping that we can plan atrip to Prince Edward Island, CA next summer. If so, we will be traveling on the 8-mile long Confederation Bridge.

CBC.CA - Seven Wonders of Canada - Your Nominations - Confederation Bridge,  Prince Edward Island/New Brunswick

I wonder why it squiggles in the middle???  :scratchhead:

I thought this was in CAlifornia; turns out it is in CAnada. No matter it's location, it does look a bit scary!!!

• The Confederation Bridge is a box girder bridge carrying the Trans-Canada Highway across the Abegweit Passage of the Northumberland Strait, linking the province of Prince Edward Island with the mainland province of New Brunswick.
  • The Confederation Bridge is the quickest and most convenient transportation option for travel between Prince Edward Island and the mainland. Crossing the Bridge takes only 10 minutes.
  • Opened May 31, 1997, the 12.9-kilometre (8.0 mi) bridge is Canada's longest bridge and the world's longest bridge over ice-covered water. 
  • There is no charge to come to Prince Edward Island via the Confederation Bridge. Albeit, the toll to leave PEI is $50.25 for a passenger vehicle. :o
  • At the highest point, the bridge reaches 60 metres above sea level, which allows large sea vessels, including cruise ships, to navigate under the bridge between its piers.

More about the bridge here: https://www.confederationbridge.com/

• Like 1

That is crazy for a toll. We don't pay near that around here. I have an E-Z pass that gets me though a tunnel for under $3.00.  Jeepers, even your price to Indy is high. but not that high. Here without E-Z pass I would be paying that or close to it. It is why I have an E-Z pass. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

I wonder why it squiggles in the middle???  :scratchhead:

I thought this was in CAlifornia; turns out it is in CAnada. No matter it's location, it does look a bit scary!!!

@MidnightmomThe bridge has a curve in it because transportation data shows that drivers are more likely to have an accident on a straight road/bridge than on one with curves. They tend to be more attentive when dealing with curves.

@Jeepers There are several weird things about transportation in Canada. The government often subsidizes the cost of ferries and bridges to ensure that people are able to stay connected, especially when dealing with islands. Some ferries and bridges are completely free, while others have a one-way fee. Still others are provately owned and carry a hefty one-way fee, so I always have to do my homework before traveling. As the one way government fees always seem to be imposed as an EXIT fee, I suspect that they target tourists to help pay for the infrastructure construction/maintenance costs. Most people who live on Prince Edward Island can function entirely without leaving except for special ocassions (holidays, vacations, etc.) The province (similar to our state system of government) has a population of 156K, so it would be similar to paying a fee to cross over into your neighboring state.

The $50 fee is in Canadian funds and right now the exchange rate with US currency makes it about 25% cheaper (1 Canadian dollar = approx. 75 cents US). The rate fluctuates slightly, but not too much. We use our Florida E-Pass in Canada. It is like EZ Pass but it is accepted in more states (and Canada!). The only alternative to the bridge is the ferry. It costs $91 CAD and your spot needs to be reserved ahead of time. 

• Like 1