MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Electrolyte Questions

When consuming electrolytes is it a once a day thing: X amount once/day 

OR

Is it supposed to be spread out over a day (or a few hours)?

I have a formula for making a "gatorade"/LMNT type of drink, but I do not like it cold - do not enjoy "cold" salt  :yuk: (unless it's on 'tater chips :D ) so I decided to try it in some canned chix broth. I really like it that way :yum3:, but that is pretty much a "one and done" deal. It's also akin to a "breakfast" if you add some butter to it.

So, to get the best benefits of adding the electrolytes to my diet, which is the best way to ingest them??? :scratchhead: :feedme:

• Like 2

When and how you take electrolytes will depend on why you are taking them.  People don’t automatically need electrolytes.  People who are dehydrated often need more fluid but not necessarily electrolytes.  People who have been ill with diarrhea and/or vomiting often need them, especially little one.   People with low blood pressure are sometimes prescribed them but usually they have had blood test to show where their level are and are given them accordingly. 

My DD was told to take electrolytes in the morning because of low blood pressure but also again if her BP was low during the day.  I have my sodium, potassium, and etc. (BMP) tested every three months because of medications I take but because my diet is veggie dense I have not had to resort to electrolytes.  Fruit and fruit juice can be high in potassium but vegetable juice is often a better balance.  

So your question might be better answered if we knew the reasons you are using the electrolytes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

MNM, I think I have that Gatorade electrolyte formula in my notebook with my medical stuff. I kept it for just in case of illness where that would be needed. It's not something that is needed on a daily basis. But for like Mother said.  It is a good one to hang on to that you can make in times that you needed it. 

• Like 2

I don't have any medical answer but....  I started drinking about a cup of Gatorade every morning.  My experience has been that I no longer get that danged DIZZY :imoksmiley: THING every time I get up from sitting or laying.  I don't taste any salt... ?  (enough sugar to cover it?)

MtRider  :shrug:    Dunno. 

• Like 2

I kind of got the impression from some of the keto/low carb channels that I watch that it was a good idea. They are all "pushing" LMNT as a beverage to sipping on all day. Also think I saw or read something on a diabetic channel also. Or, perhaps it had something to do with the lymphedema in my legs??? :scratchhead:   Can't really remember. It's one of those situations where I read/heard something, thought it was a good idea, bought the ingredients, and then promptly forgot WHY. :blush: :( :busted:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Sorry this is long but perhaps it I’ll help others. 

An interesting fact about electrolytes is that the same symptoms can occur with either too much or too little.   And not having the right ratio can be detrimental also. Home made formulas often are based on someone’s idea of a need for different circumstances such as weight lifting or strenuous exercise, or diabetic,  or certain symptoms and not on individual’s needs. The elderly are especially susceptible to imbalances as our bodies, for whatever reasons, be it certain medicines  illnesses, diseases, or abnormalities aren’t as adaptable as they used to be and it’s important to make sure to get enough but not too much.  That’s why doctors order a BMP (basic metabolic panel) to check for potassium, sodium, calcium, glucose, and other substances that show them how the body is working.  It can tell them about kidney health, sugar imbalances, acidity, and etc which might be caused by the imbalances or might be the cause of the imbalances and therefore symptoms.   

The need for electrolytes comes from situations like dehydration, kidney malfunctions, medication interference, illness, extreme exercise, or our bodies just not doing its job like it should,  as often happens in the elderly.  Which do you have MM?  Use those to do your research to find what you MIGHT need.  You could be low on potassium and high on sodium or in need of calcium instead of either of them.  Then instead of taking a supplement you may only need to adjust your diet.  Or better yet, check to see if your doctor has done a BMP recently and use those figures as a base to adjust for optimum intake according to your research.  Believe it or not……doctors do not always know much about nutritional needs and blindly accept the test results.  Those test criteria are based on what is normal for a healthy person and not for a person with their own unique needs.

With diabetes it might be difficult to get your electrolytes from foods like fruit juice or bananas  but with some thought it’s not impossible.  Plain, not flavored, Coconut water (not coconut milk) contains a nice blend of electrolytes but vegetable juice can be a low glycemic way to get electrolytes that are readily assimilated and more importantly can contain other healthy nutrients we need.  You can even make a nice mineral rich broth from the clean peelings and ends of vegetables that you might otherwise throw away. And it can be canned or frozen.  Even the juice or the water from cooking vegetables contains needed minerals.  

Research can be extremely helpful to personalize your treatment.   Let me give you a personal example.  I have a unique plethora of illnesses, caused, according to my doctors and my own research, largely by having a severe case of undetected Lyme Disease decades ago. It was detected and treated too late and at first not aggressively enough and then too aggressively and left me with a set of diseases and ‘syndromes’ caused by either the bacteria or the antibiotics or both.  One of the diseases I have is IC, Interstitial Cystitis. A bladder disease that causes excessive urination, burning, and bladder pain.  I also have Gouty Arthritis.  To help lower the uric acid levels of the gout I use cherry juice, a well studied natural remedy that is as effective as the medication allopurinal which I have difficulty taking.  But cherry juice is high in potassium and it directly affects the IC, causing excessive symptoms.  Now, I also have high blood pressure and tend to fluid pooling in my feet and ankles by the end of a day and am given diuretics for that.  BUT!!  If I am drinking cherry juice and peeing bucket’s full already, I don’t need the diuretic.  The problem is balancing the need against the tolerance for the symptoms.  

MM, I have always admired your well developed ability to research.  If you do come up with a specific need for what you are dealing with let us know what you find.  That info might benefit a lot of us.  It might at least encourage others to learn enough to help direct their own health treatments.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

NOTHING is ever as simple as it appears (we hope it) to be! :(  :huh: :blink: :sigh: "Cruising the" web can be dangerous to your health!

Thank you for the great info @Mother. Not quite sure what I will do now. Seeing my cardiologist at the end of the month - will inquire with them about the necessity/non-necessity of adding electrolytes. 

• Like 4

I've heard nothing but good about Liquid IV. A lot of people who had C-19 and the flu swear by it. 

It's a fast acting rehydration packet of granules that you put in your bottled water. It was especially useful when you have liquid pouring out of both ends of your body and also a fever. 

I have some but haven't had to use it yet. Be careful of online medical advice. I use Dr. Google a lot but only for suggestions and direction of what to look up. I nearly got into big trouble with potassium! 

Good idea about waiting to see your doctor first. Maybe they will run a blood test to see what your mineral levels are. 

• Like 4

MM,  you might be intested in

Salt Your Way to Health (2nd edition)  by David Brownstein, M.D.    (My current doc recommended this book to me.)

and

The Magnesium Miracle by Dr. Carolyn Dean.   I have the 2nd edition of this one.  I keep rereading it as there is so much good info in it.   I think she has a newer version out, with a slightly different title.   But, it is only available through Amazon, so I don't have that one.

edited to add:  My (now retired, very much missed) doc had given me an article Dr. Carolyn Dean had wrote on magnesium, so I knew she was okay.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
3rd time for spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1