MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Honey vinegar recipe...

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Mix together in a crock: 1 quart strained honey and 8 quarts warm water.

Cover with a cloth (cheesecloth, cotton) and allow to stand in a warm place until fermentation ceases.

The resulting vinegar is white and of excellent quality. Put in jars & seal.

(Amish recipe)

Thanks Cat. Really interested in this one. I have a bought crock for making vinegar; they were priced at 44.00 pounds sterling (extremely expensive!) and although, I really, really wanted one, I couldn't justify the expense. Next time we went into that shop, they were reduced to 14.00 pounds sterling. I bought one then! It's alovely piece of equipment, amde of terracotta, with a little wooden bung at the bottom. It comes from abroad, but can't remember which country offhand. I have never used it yet. Teh isntructions inside (quite comprehensive) say that you need vinegar and wine to start it off - seemed to defeat the prupose for me, somehow!

I have spare honey (I buy mine through LETS, so don't pay cahs, and am getting bees soon, I hope, so this seems the way to go), so will start this off tomorrow. I am always interested in Amish recipes etc, and will report back any success (or failure!)

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

theyd, skim the mold off & allow it to keep working. At best, it'll finish; at worst, you'll toss it.

If it turns to true vinegar, a little mold won't spoil it.

A lot of things we don't like, the old-timers just "lived with". I remember Mom's first attempts at saurkraut. I was shocked that she'd KEEP that stuff!!!

thanks Cat well do that ...

I know what you mean about the kurt .. i tried to make some from this elderly farmers recipe and it got nasty so threw it out ... when I seen the gentleman again he asked how it was going when i told him how nasty it was and threw it out he just laugh.. and a few days later brough some over.